To both Kurt and Paul
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unregistered

To both Kurt and Paul

I witnessed what I assume was a "major drug bust" the other day where I counted seven (7) TAC units surrounding three men in a car ( all of them looked as though they might have had $10.00 between them). I am sure it was something "major" because there is no way that that many units would ever respond to a simple traffic stop. I noticed that all of the deputies were wearing this tactical type intimidating uniform. The uniform was all black and their guns where slung in low holsters. They all had on a outer green vest with more strange weapons mounted on it. They looked like soldiers or special forces. One person commented to me that this was the S.W.A.T team and asked what those men had done to make the S.W.A.T. team come after them. I said I don't know but as a reasonable person they definitely look as though they are intimidating those men in that car. In my opinion these uniforms are very intimidating, over bearing and not needed, especially if they are in constant contact with citizens daily. This uniform is not how the SSO should be represented daily. The sheriff himself stated that "crime is down" so why such an intimidated show of force with these uniforms?
    In my opinion (which maybe doesn't matter), what is needed is more community policing and crime prevention. All deputies should be dressed in the standard uniform so we appear the same to the public (with exception of K9) or community police deputies should be in a subdued casual dress to allow a more approachable atmosphere for citizens who want to approach them i.e. like a community police officer. This tac unit looks too intimidating for Sarasota and maybe as the new Sheriff you can change the appearance and perception of our agency. Community involvement verses community intimidation. These TAC unit guys can do the same job in a standard uniform with a more professional appearance and perception. The Sarasota Sheriff's Office Deputies need to command a professional appearance daily by wearing the standard uniform with pride, that we all have always worn. The TAC unit should not represent our agency like we are in a battlefield, after all this is Sarasota. LAPD's most aggressive gang unit wears a standard uniform. I think Sarasota TAC can too. Just my opinion.

Unregistered
    If you've been here long enough, then you'll remember when in-service training was done in civilian clothes (jeans and whatever) and TAC wore casual clothes to "blend in" with the public. Today, we wear a military-type uniform to in-service training and TAC is dressed like SEAL TEAM 6 in Afghanistan, which is very unapproachable to the public... and it is impossible to blend-in with the public while working semi-undercover cases. Hollywood's TV image has infiltrated every aspect of SSO law enforcement.

Unregistered
    Just thinking outside the box here: could there be a reason crime is DOWN? If you’d look at the strategic plan, a squad/unit of deputies to target certain offenders was outlined. The Sheriff’s Office Tac Unit was formed and very much responsible for this decline in persons and property crimes in Sarasota. Sounds like they might be doing something right. Who cares if your feelings are hurt because you didn’t get into the unit or because they aren’t “approachable?” A SEAL Team? Really? Calm down

Unregistered

Community policing was federally funded nationwide begining in the early 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just thinking outside the box here: could there be a reason crime is DOWN? If you’d look at the strategic plan, a squad/unit of deputies to target certain offenders was outlined. The Sheriff’s Office Tac Unit was formed and very much responsible for this decline in persons and property crimes in Sarasota. Sounds like they might be doing something right. Who cares if your feelings are hurt because you didn’t get into the unit or because they aren’t “approachable?” A SEAL Team? Really? Calm down
    Community policing was federally funded nationally, starting about 25 years ago in the 1990s. The core of community policing is getting out of the patrol car and making friends with business owners and neighborhood groups. It is not dressing like SEAL TEAM 6. lololol

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...me-in-the-u-s/

Long after the crime rate began plummeting in 1990, SSO TAC suddenly began dressing up as SEAL TEAM 6 in 2009, under the direction of Tom Knight.

Unregistered

Seal Team 6

Prior to Tom Knight coming here, we did not dress up as Seal Team 6. The Seal Team 6 uniform-outfit that TAC now wears is unique to Knight and his administration.

Unregistered
    Get off the SEAL team thing. It’s a uniform that is indicative of their job. Ag wore the same uniform...any complaint there? K9...what about that? I assume next you’ll have some excuse as to why. Honestly, those guys should be in jeans and a t-shirt. Very approachable then because you wouldn’t know who they are. It’s a compromise to identify themselves (admin wants it) but can easily be covered if needed.

Unregistered
    Apparently you do not wear the class B uniform, as it is uncomfortable and not breathable. It also is horrible in the back and the body. Read up on a gun belt around the waist versus on the tactical vest, you will find it being on the tactical vest is much better on the body. However I'm guessing you don't wear it.

Unregistered
    Apparently you do not wear the class B uniform, as it is uncomfortable and not breathable. It also is horrible in the back and the body. Read up on a gun belt around the waist versus on the tactical vest, you will find it being on the tactical vest is much better on the body. However I'm guessing you don't wear it.
    It's also extremely uncomfortable to exit the air conditioned patrol car on a hot and humid day, so what's your point? Come to think of it, it's also an inconvenience to answer calls-for-service, but we do it anyway. Again, what's your point? The seal team 6 uniform on deputies is asinine. The only exceptions are for agricultural unit and K9 deputies, due to the dirty nature of that work. And you know it's true.

Unregistered
    It's also extremely uncomfortable to exit the air conditioned patrol car on a hot and humid day, so what's your point? Come to think of it, it's also an inconvenience to answer calls-for-service, but we do it anyway. Again, what's your point? The seal team 6 uniform on deputies is asinine. The only exceptions are for agricultural unit and K9 deputies, due to the dirty nature of that work. And you know it's true.
    Coming from the guy who hasn’t worked in Tac. Which part of Tac isn’t dirty? Sitting in the bushes watching a vehicle burglary?Sneaking under a car for a tracker?

Again, the reason patrol deputies are in a uniform is because they answer calls for service, write citations, and generally interact with the public when they call...high visibility. Tac doesn’t need that to accomplish the mission. You’re *****ing about 12 or 14 guys.

Unregistered
    If you think a cop wearing an outer vest makes them unapproachable then it’s safe to say you still sleep with the night light on. I’m sure one of those TAC guys would have told you where a safe place was if you asked, while you not knowing them being there was as safe as you will ever be. Maybe you should thank them for what they do instead of trying to be a key board warrior. And maybe you should research what the person was charged with that warranted their attention in the first place.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast