First Responder Suicide Prevention Campaign - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Here we go with the violent rage again. This is troubling. The sheriff is trying his best to make EAP available to all, and instead we get this caveman threatening to beat people up. Please seek help from somewhere. If you don’t get help through EAP, please get help from another professional source. Do it for your family.
    Stop being dramatic. The poster was using a figure of speech.

Unregistered
    Suicide prevention campaigns and EAP for law enforcement, although better than nothing, trouble me. I believe they only exist to reduce liability for the agencies in case something happens involving their officers. Like a few murder suicides. These programs are far too reactive. Even then, they do not resolve the source of the problem. This career and its lack of PROACTIVE systems to preserve positive mental health from the beginning is the issue. I mean this for LEO’s in the field with mental health issues due to being a LEO. In any other general situations, I believe in these programs and EAP.

Officers pass all kinds of medical tests, polygraph tests, and especially psych evaluations and are deemed mentally fit in order to be hired. How do people with no mental health problems, become police officers, then commit suicide or murder suicide years later?

No one seems to make this problem a real priority by fixing the cause from its source. EAP counselors have no LEO experience and can not relate. Second, It is only reactive. By the time this job ***** you out and you become symptomatic, it is too late. Damage assessment, removing the stressor (this job), and recovery are the only way back to good mental health. Cant do that while still being an officer. Officers with expiration dates is bad business.

This is not to badmouth EAP. It is a great program with great counselors, but it does not seem to fit with active front line LEO’s. EAP is like using a bucket to pour water out of a sinking ship while no one acknowledges or tries to fix the gaping hole in the hull. The bucket works perfectly fine. However, the water continues to flood in. EAP would be a great recovery tool for officers after burning out AND quitting.

Anyone here that has sought the help of EAP knows that once it is determined that the stressor is this job, they give you options... meds, deal with it, change it, or quit. Obviously we cant be on meds working here. “Dealing with it” drives us to self medicating due to symptoms then possible crisis. There is hope to try to “change” anything in this agency when it comes to reducing stress. They don't listen. In fact, you will be seen as weak and bullied. So quitting is the only option. Being that we only become symptomatic after many many years, by the time officers realize this job is destroying them, they are buried in debt, a mortgage, kids, and so on, so they feel trapped. Also, our resumes and experiences here are of no value in the private sector unless you want to be a security guard for 1/4 the pay, so switching careers may bot be feasible. All EAP offers is to wake you up about this job, you will see it for what it really is, and they will tell you to quit or get on meds. Agencies count on our denial and us keeping this job on a pedestal to not see how destructive it really is in order to keep going for years. Regardless of the risks. Not to mention stringing us along in hope of transfer to less stressful positions. Which we all know are already reserved for the select few. Once we become defective, we are replaced. Which is not the solution. Experienced offices are leaving faster then they can be replaced, but with new inexperienced officers with no. Another problem. Experience and mastery seems to be of no value. How does that affect moral? AKA mental health.

The solutions are simple.

Unregistered
    Suicide prevention campaigns and EAP for law enforcement, although better than nothing, trouble me. I believe they only exist to reduce liability for the agencies in case something happens involving their officers. Like a few murder suicides. These programs are far too reactive. Even then, they do not resolve the source of the problem. This career and its lack of PROACTIVE systems to preserve positive mental health from the beginning is the issue. I mean this for LEO’s in the field with mental health issues due to being a LEO. In any other general situations, I believe in these programs and EAP.

Officers pass all kinds of medical tests, polygraph tests, and especially psych evaluations and are deemed mentally fit in order to be hired. How do people with no mental health problems, become police officers, then commit suicide or murder suicide years later?

No one seems to make this problem a real priority by fixing the cause from its source. EAP counselors have no LEO experience and can not relate. Second, It is only reactive. By the time this job ***** you out and you become symptomatic, it is too late. Damage assessment, removing the stressor (this job), and recovery are the only way back to good mental health. Cant do that while still being an officer. Officers with expiration dates is bad business.

This is not to badmouth EAP. It is a great program with great counselors, but it does not seem to fit with active front line LEO’s. EAP is like using a bucket to pour water out of a sinking ship while no one acknowledges or tries to fix the gaping hole in the hull. The bucket works perfectly fine. However, the water continues to flood in. EAP would be a great recovery tool for officers after burning out AND quitting.

Anyone here that has sought the help of EAP knows that once it is determined that the stressor is this job, they give you options... meds, deal with it, change it, or quit. Obviously we cant be on meds working here. “Dealing with it” drives us to self medicating due to symptoms then possible crisis. There is hope to try to “change” anything in this agency when it comes to reducing stress. They don't listen. In fact, you will be seen as weak and bullied. So quitting is the only option. Being that we only become symptomatic after many many years, by the time officers realize this job is destroying them, they are buried in debt, a mortgage, kids, and so on, so they feel trapped. Also, our resumes and experiences here are of no value in the private sector unless you want to be a security guard for 1/4 the pay, so switching careers may bot be feasible. All EAP offers is to wake you up about this job, you will see it for what it really is, and they will tell you to quit or get on meds. Agencies count on our denial and us keeping this job on a pedestal to not see how destructive it really is in order to keep going for years. Regardless of the risks. Not to mention stringing us along in hope of transfer to less stressful positions. Which we all know are already reserved for the select few. Once we become defective, we are replaced. Which is not the solution. Experienced offices are leaving faster then they can be replaced, but with new inexperienced officers with no. Another problem. Experience and mastery seems to be of no value. How does that affect moral? AKA mental health.

The solutions are simple.
    This sounds like a cry for help. Please seek counseling immediately.

Unregistered
    Clever clever. Based on what? Im more centered and aware than you could ever imagine. Why do my observations and opinions threaten you? They must have for a defense mechanism type response like that. How about use actual facts to discredit me. One day, because of your denial, when the truth hits you, you will be the one that needs help. Your blind loyalty will reward you with a identity crisis. That is why my post threatened you. This job defines you. Not me. Which is why you need the help.

Unregistered
    Clever clever. Based on what? Im more centered and aware than you could ever imagine. Why do my observations and opinions threaten you? They must have for a defense mechanism type response like that. How about use actual facts to discredit me. One day, because of your denial, when the truth hits you, you will be the one that needs help. Your blind loyalty will reward you with a identity crisis. That is why my post threatened you. This job defines you. Not me. Which is why you need the help.
    You are allowing the job to define you because you take the decisions of the agency personally, as if the command staff is plotting specifically against you. You allow the job to control you and enrage you. The fear your coworkers have is that you will turn your rage on the citizens one day because you irrationally feel victimized by the agency. Please seek counseling before it is too late.

Unregistered
    Ya go see Dr. Skotko😳 Maybe he will conduct the entire session completely in the dark and ask you about your mother! Stupid Freudian!!

Unregistered
    You are allowing the job to define you because you take the decisions of the agency personally, as if the command staff is plotting specifically against you. You allow the job to control you and enrage you. The fear your coworkers have is that you will turn your rage on the citizens one day because you irrationally feel victimized by the agency. Please seek counseling before it is too late.
    You cant keep trying to make everyone look crazy just because they are not blind loyal robots. Its just a simple “turning it around” move. You are trying to offset these posts? If so, why? Are all the deputies that have resigned for the same reasons mentioned on this site crazy too?

There are a lot of assumptions in your post. It may work on a non LEO reader, but thats about it. What is this “rage” you always mention? I never insult anyone or make threats. I don't think rage means what you think it means. Where is the proof to back up these alleged fears? Complaints? Uses of force? Not getting along with other deputies? Should be pretty easy to spot. My post was limited to making the positive mental health of officers a priority from the beginning. Which will reflect back on the citizens, productivity, moral, and work quality. If you have a problem with a post, then at least explain your intentions.

Also, discredit me with facts. Not assumptions.

Unregistered
    You cant keep trying to make everyone look crazy just because they are not blind loyal robots. Its just a simple “turning it around” move. You are trying to offset these posts? If so, why? Are all the deputies that have resigned for the same reasons mentioned on this site crazy too?

There are a lot of assumptions in your post. It may work on a non LEO reader, but thats about it. What is this “rage” you always mention? I never insult anyone or make threats. I don't think rage means what you think it means. Where is the proof to back up these alleged fears? Complaints? Uses of force? Not getting along with other deputies? Should be pretty easy to spot. My post was limited to making the positive mental health of officers a priority from the beginning. Which will reflect back on the citizens, productivity, moral, and work quality. If you have a problem with a post, then at least explain your intentions.

Also, discredit me with facts. Not assumptions.
    Your paranoia and hate toward those who aren’t disgruntled and disloyal seems very extreme. Anyone who is disgruntled and disloyal is a blind loyal robot. Seeing things as extreme absolutes is a clear sign of mental instability. The kind of person living on the ragged edge, ready to snap at any moment. As far as citizens reading this board that you insinuate are stupid and naive so they’re the only ones fooled, I can assure you they are smarter than you think. They see you complain the office doesn’t provide mental health support, but then they see the sheriff going above and beyond with special efforts to support mental health. They know you’re either lying or suffering from some disconnect from reality. It’s safe to come home and embrace a positive outlook on the agency and society as a whole. It doesn’t have to be the us versus them mentality you’ve allowed to consume you. You will be welcomed back to the light with open arms. Come on back home.

Unregistered
    Your paranoia and hate toward those who aren’t disgruntled and disloyal seems very extreme. Anyone who is disgruntled and disloyal is a blind loyal robot. Seeing things as extreme absolutes is a clear sign of mental instability. The kind of person living on the ragged edge, ready to snap at any moment. As far as citizens reading this board that you insinuate are stupid and naive so they’re the only ones fooled, I can assure you they are smarter than you think. They see you complain the office doesn’t provide mental health support, but then they see the sheriff going above and beyond with special efforts to support mental health. They know you’re either lying or suffering from some disconnect from reality. It’s safe to come home and embrace a positive outlook on the agency and society as a whole. It doesn’t have to be the us versus them mentality you’ve allowed to consume you. You will be welcomed back to the light with open arms. Come on back home.
    Sorry, anyone who is NOT disgruntled and disloyal is a blind loyal robot.

Unregistered
    Sorry, anyone who is NOT disgruntled and disloyal is a blind loyal robot.
    Amen to that! This, this right here may be the “spot on post” of the summer!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast