School Buses

Thread: School Buses

Unregistered

School Buses

When a school bus stops and all the children get off on the curb side and do not cross the roadway, why then put out the stop signs? Also notice on many of the six lane highways where there is a middle turn lane but not a raised median wider than five feet, motorists, especially on the opposite side of the bus, legitimately may not see the bus stopped. Many reasons, larger vehicles in the lanes closest to the bus. The width of a three lane roadway with a middle turn lane just to name a couple. Also notice these buses will stop where there is a break in medians, then requiring all vehicles in both directions to have to stop. I have nearly caused many wrecks on these six lane highways when I stop and virtually everyone else doesnt. There is no legitimate safety issue if the children are not crossing the roadway and I have watched multiple locations where by design, they stayed on the curb side after leaving the bus. All the stops on 19 are like that.

Unregistered
    Thanks. Now go pay you’re ticket for passing a stopped school bus big guy.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thanks. Now go pay you’re ticket for passing a stopped school bus big guy.
    Exactly.. The lives of school aged children are more import then your getting to Mcdonalds for an egg mc muffin... It wil still be there when you get there (3 Minutes later.) Pay the ticket, put down your cell phone, and pay attention to the road..

Unregistered
    Exactly how are the kids in danger if they aren't crossing the road? These bus stops are designed especially on 19 and other multi lanes highways for the kids not to cross the road at the bus stop.

Unregistered
    You know what it's a good question? Think a few years ago, the School Board was successfully sued because kids did have to cross roads to get to their assigned bus stop. I dont think that's the case anymore, everybody assigned the bus, lives on that side of the road, and dont have to cross anymore. Because its always been done that way doesnt mean that cant be looked at to see why its necessary now.

Unregistered
    I see your point.. What does a 4” slab of concrete or planted grass have to do with anything? Maybe on any road larger than 4 lanes, only traffic in the direction of the bus have to stop? Seems like the law needs to be revisited.

Unregistered
    I have literally not seen the bus stopped on the opposite side of these six lane highways with no medians. I think its a valid point. All it takes is a higher profile vehicle to be in the lane next to you, and your screwed. Thats a heavy duty fine we are handing out to these motorists. Makes since inside subdivision roadways because the kids do come from all directions. Same side of the roadway the bus is stopped, you still could have a larger vehicle obstruct your view, but I would expect you to be more attentive to whats a head of you as opposed to what could be 100 ft or better to the side of you. Its way outside your normal line of sight.