Rick Scott says FBI won’t answer questions about mishandled tip on Parkland shooter
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Unregistered

Post Rick Scott says FBI won’t answer questions about mishandled tip on Parkland shooter

Rick Scott says FBI won’t answer questions about mishandled tip on Parkland shooter
    By David Smiley
    August 09, 2019 04:14 PM, Updated 6 hours 29 minutes ago

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...233705667.html

Republican Florida Sen. Rick Scott is asking the U.S. Department of Justice to pry more information out of the FBI about how the agency failed to act on tips about a former Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student who killed 17 people in Parkland last year at his old school.

In the six months before the attack, the FBI received two tips warning that Nikolas Cruz was a school shooter in the making. One tip, phoned in to the FBI’s national call center by someone close to Cruz, offered alarming detail only weeks before the attack but was never forwarded to the FBI’s South Florida field office, as protocol required.

Scott, who was governor of Florida at the time of the Parkland shooting, has repeatedly pressed federal investigators for information about why the tips were mishandled and what the FBI has done to make sure it never happens again. When the FBI first acknowledged the missed tips, Scott demanded unsuccessfully that FBI Director Christopher Wray resign.

Now a U.S. senator, Scott wrote Thursday to Attorney General Bill Barr complaining that the FBI has withheld information from him and the parents of slain students and faculty.

“I urge you to seek answers from Director Wray that have been denied to the victims’ families and make sure these documented failures by his agency will never happen again,” Scott wrote.

A spokeswoman for the FBI wouldn’t comment Friday. The DOJ didn’t respond to a request for comment.

But in a July 30 letter responding to a request for information that Scott made back in April, Jill C. Tyson, the head of the FBI’s office of congressional affairs, explained that there had been some changes made by the agency. She said the agency has improved the call center staffing and improved safeguards to make sure that that all calls related to life-threatening issues and counter-terrorism are reviewed.

But Tyson wouldn’t tell Scott whether anyone had been disciplined as a result of the inaction on the Parkland tips, saying “due to significant privacy implications, the FBI cannot comment on personnel matters.”

Scott ripped Tyson’s explanation in his letter to Barr, saying the information the FBI is refusing to supply could be “a potentially life-saving act of accountability for the agency’s documented failures.”

“While I have the utmost respect for the men and women of the FBI, the agency’s response to my request is very disappointing,” he wrote.

Ryan Petty, whose daughter, Alaina Petty, was killed in the shooting, was among the Parkland parents who met with FBI Deputy Director David Bowdich in December 2018 to discuss what happened and how the FBI has tried to improve since then. He said the families “appreciated the opportunity to speak with the leadership of the FBI to really understand what happened,” but came away frustrated at some of what they heard.

“When I say that many of us left unsatisfied with the actions taken by the FBI, what I mean is that not all of those that were responsible for mishandling the tip [in January] were held accountable for the mistake,” Petty said Friday. “I’m not sure the leadership in the FBI held themselves accountable for it.”

Scott, in his letter Thursday to Barr, noted that the shooter who attacked Pulse nightclub in Orlando in 2016, killing 49 people, had also been on the FBI’s radar, as had the man who killed five people at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood airport the following year.

“I am sure you agree that these failures are inexcusable, and there must be accountability within the agency to make sure such grave lapses in the FBI’s core investigative function are corrected,” Scott wrote.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    By David Smiley

Republican Florida Sen. Rick Scott is asking the U.S. Department of Justice to pry more information out of the FBI about how the agency failed to act on tips about a former Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student who killed 17 people in Parkland last year at his old school.

In the six months before the attack, the FBI received two tips warning that Nikolas Cruz was a school shooter in the making. One tip, phoned in to the FBI’s national call center by someone close to Cruz, offered alarming detail only weeks before the attack but was never forwarded to the FBI’s South Florida field office, as protocol required.

Scott, who was governor of Florida at the time of the Parkland shooting, has repeatedly pressed federal investigators for information about why the tips were mishandled and what the FBI has done to make sure it never happens again. When the FBI first acknowledged the missed tips, Scott demanded unsuccessfully that FBI Director Christopher Wray resign.

Now a U.S. senator, Scott wrote Thursday to Attorney General Bill Barr complaining that the FBI has withheld information from him and the parents of slain students and faculty.

“I urge you to seek answers from Director Wray that have been denied to the victims’ families and make sure these documented failures by his agency will never happen again,” Scott wrote.

A spokeswoman for the FBI wouldn’t comment Friday. The DOJ didn’t respond to a request for comment.

But in a July 30 letter responding to a request for information that Scott made back in April, Jill C. Tyson, the head of the FBI’s office of congressional affairs, explained that there had been some changes made by the agency. She said the agency has improved the call center staffing and improved safeguards to make sure that that all calls related to life-threatening issues and counter-terrorism are reviewed.

But Tyson wouldn’t tell Scott whether anyone had been disciplined as a result of the inaction on the Parkland tips, saying “due to significant privacy implications, the FBI cannot comment on personnel matters.”

Scott ripped Tyson’s explanation in his letter to Barr, saying the information the FBI is refusing to supply could be “a potentially life-saving act of accountability for the agency’s documented failures.”

“While I have the utmost respect for the men and women of the FBI, the agency’s response to my request is very disappointing,” he wrote.

Ryan Petty, whose daughter, Alaina Petty, was killed in the shooting, was among the Parkland parents who met with FBI Deputy Director David Bowdich in December 2018 to discuss what happened and how the FBI has tried to improve since then. He said the families “appreciated the opportunity to speak with the leadership of the FBI to really understand what happened,” but came away frustrated at some of what they heard.

“When I say that many of us left unsatisfied with the actions taken by the FBI, what I mean is that not all of those that were responsible for mishandling the tip [in January] were held accountable for the mistake,” Petty said Friday. “I’m not sure the leadership in the FBI held themselves accountable for it.”

Scott, in his letter Thursday to Barr, noted that the shooter who attacked Pulse nightclub in Orlando in 2016, killing 49 people, had also been on the FBI’s radar, as had the man who killed five people at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood airport the following year.

“I am sure you agree that these failures are inexcusable, and there must be accountability within the agency to make sure such grave lapses in the FBI’s core investigative function are corrected,” Scott wrote.
    It's easier to blame Israel, Peterson et al

Unregistered
    Its none of Rick Scott or Prick Petty's business who was reprimanded and how. Since when did these vigilante entitled assholes become the countries punitive experts. Are they riding the negligent school board for our children still being at risk? At least one of these self righteous stains is now a busy body politician, campaigning for temporary. I guess her lusting over Temporary is a great way to make our schools safer according to her.

Unregistered
    By David Smiley

We been saying it all along but the followers can't think 4 themselves. This never and no way shape or form SI fault. If you know and followed this case you would understand. Shame on the weak people who accused him for the involvement of this terrible incident. Now that we all know and hear what's the truth some people can except the truth.
    We need to put the blame where it belongs and its not BSO.

Unregistered
    By David Smiley

WHAT? The FBI (Full Blown Incompetence) failed again? Even though this is a smaller scale in comparison with their 9-11 debacle, it's still a failure on their part. Granted, they probably get loons reporting stupid $hit on a daily basis, but N.Cruise was worth looking into.
    The FBI are basically desk clerks in suits. Maybe 2, or at best 3 arrests made in 30 years for the majority. FBI is nothing but 95% college education and 5% street smart. Most that are worth their weight and have been there a while can't disagree. The FBI is a joke.

Unregistered
    WHAT? The FBI (Full Blown Incompetence) failed again? Even though this is a smaller scale in comparison with their 9-11 debacle, it's still a failure on their part. Granted, they probably get loons reporting stupid $hit on a daily basis, but N.Cruise was worth looking into.
    The FBI are basically desk clerks in suits. Maybe 2, or at best 3 arrests made in 30 years for the majority. FBI is nothing but 95% college education and 5% street smart. Most that are worth their weight and have been there a while can't disagree. The FBI is a joke.

In the six months before the attack, the FBI received two tips warning that Nikolas Cruz was a school shooter in the making.

One tip, phoned in to the FBI’s national call center by someone close to Cruz, offered alarming detail only weeks before the attack and never forwarded to the FBI’s South Florida field office, as protocol required.

The FBI failed to act on tips about a former Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student who killed 17 people in Parkland last year at his old school.

WHY has this taken do long to figure this out
    WHY has this not been answered long ago
    WHY was this blamed on BSO
    WHY we're decisions made with political intentions

No people and the train following people this terrible tragedy WAS neverIsrael’s fault so put the dam fault where it needs to be.

Unregistered
    Team Scott Isreal . You put all that BS up to try and spin that Scott was just as guilty it doesn't matter when the tip came in. What could have also been a stop gate was competent responding law enforcement in Parkland hense BSO and a viable Policy by BSO with teeth.
    A Commander that knew how to establish effective command. A radio system that was functional and a 911 system that worked effectively and efficiently.

Unregistered
    Team Scott Isreal . You put all that BS up to try and spin that Scott was just as guilty it doesn't matter when the tip came in. What could have also been a stop gate was competent responding law enforcement in Parkland hense BSO and a viable Policy by BSO with teeth.
    A Commander that knew how to establish effective command. A radio system that was functional and a 911 system that worked effectively and efficiently.
    Whoever posted this is all factual and it's obvious you have no clue of what you talking about. Stop spinning the wheel and get a life. No one is listening. I came from Sen Rick Scott. As far as the radio system being you have no clue that was the commissioners fault. It was denied every time it was placed on the table.

Unregistered
    Spinning the wheel. Are you nuts jerkie. It was israel that put that incompetent fool in parkland as a captain. It was israel that put less inept deputies to skate by in parkland.
    It was israel that didn't inact necessary training to combat situations like this. It was israel that agreed to go along with this promise program and have it implemented at the agency. Should we name more. Stop trying to divert and blame others for one persons failure. That person who created this failure is israel and his incompetent command that he had in place when he was elected. This also includes pollock he took part in helping israel destroy this agency.

Unregistered
    If you have a child in school, you better start blaming the school board and holding them accountable. That filth still runs rampid in our system and although you tried to vote some out, they were replaced with the same rot responsible for the rules that killed those kids. Quit caving to what's trendy or living in fear of being called a name. You are either part of taking back broward or just kicking the can.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast