I lived in Hialeah from 1964 until 1974, still every time I think the city is out of me, it calls me back in. Perhaps the city is on the threshold of a renaissance for the Hialeah Police Department; a kin to the days Larry Leggett was the agency’s police chief. Political meddling and crass influence don’t mix with policing. Politicos must have faith in the person upon whom they bestow the authority to be the city’s police chief or else install a sock puppet and watch morale and effectiveness vanish; which seems to be the case now.

Citizen, part of your recommendation is right on point, as the city should consider allocating a budget line item for employing, certified and paid part time police officers, consistent with FSS 943.10 (6). This cadre should be deploy when analytical data reflects their engagement is needed according to demands for service by days of the week and hours of the day; during special events requiring additional police officers, and after all permanent sworn personnel have had an opportunity to sign up for an off duty detail, lest it goes unfilled. Hiring armed civilian security guards, to serve as quasi-police officers, conflicts with Chapter 943, as they are not FDLE certified. As to an elected police chief, only Florida Counties elect their Sheriff, FSS Chapter 30, as the Sheriff is one of the County’s Constitutional Officers.

Regarding Foot Patrol it has once again emerged as a vital patrol platform for advancing Community Policing, and as such, it should be staffed by officers wanting to do it. Though its effectiveness is mixed: “foot patrol intervention did not have a significant impact on overall crime; that is, arrests, or victimization, one exception to this was observed: resident respondents in the retained foot beats experienced a significantly greater reduction in the number of thefts that occurred in their neighborhoods while they were away from home. [1]” When used punitively, it defeats the purpose.

As to being a “friend of the law abiding person,” the most influential man in my life, my father, told me upon pinning my badge on my chest: “Treat people with whom you come in contact during your shift, as you would like to be treated; as you would want them to treat me.” That was long ago, but the memory is indelible.

Maybe the time has come for a band of mice to gnaw on the ropes binding the Lion that is the Hialeah Police Department and for it to return to the prestige it once had when Larry Leggett [2] was its Police Chief. Hope’s Spring’s Eternal.

[1] https://cebcp.org/evidence-based-pol...undation-1981/

[2] I met Larry Leggett when I was a teen; he was a police captain then. He was one of the men who instilled in me the commitment to become a police officer. Appalling what political demagoguery has done to Miami Dade County’s Second City.