Questions about department

Unregistered

Questions about department

I’m a current LEO and had some questions regarding your department.

Are you guys on 12 hour shifts? If not then how is the shift work?

How is the step program?

Strong retirement? 25 years correct?

How is the call volume? Time to be proactive?

How is the take home policy?

Good gear?

How is agency morale?

I know it’s a lot of questions but I would greatly appreciate all the help i can get.

Unregistered
    - 12 he shifts. 1 short week and 1 long.

- step is great. Competivitve with HCSO throughout until steps at ten and above then they kinda run away

- 25 year retirement with optional 8 year drop.

- we are a very busy agency but there is a lot of time for proactive / self initiated.

- take home within 20 mile radius as crow flies

- top notch gear

- morale is good. Rarely do officers leave and if they do, they may make more but they often regret doing so

Unregistered

Hope this helps

Obviously posted by a "supervisor"...Agree with most of the answers though, with the exception of morale, and equipment.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    - 12 he shifts. 1 short week and 1 long.

- step is great. Competivitve with HCSO throughout until steps at ten and above then they kinda run away

- we are a very busy agency but there is a lot of time for proactive / self initiated.

- top notch gear

- morale is good. Rarely do officers leave and if they do, they may make more but they often regret doing so
    20 miles as the crow flies from where? City limits or Police Station?

Unregistered
    Morale sucks!!!

Unregistered

The real truth

[QUOTE=Unregistered;3034377]- 12 he shifts. 1 short week and 1 long.
    ***Pretty standard unless your at TPD 4-10hr shifts, 4 days off. We have this thing called The Florida Strawberry Festival, which is an annual event (February-March) that they “Force” you to work as an off duty job for 2 weeks straight (Traffic/People control) and no vacations are allowed during that time. ***
    ***Step pay plan is pretty much the standard anywhere these days. We are the lowest paid agency in Hillsborough County (Heck even Temple Terrace PD pays more). We are nowhere close to competing with any large agency.***
    ***Horrible changes to our retirement system happened in 2016. Can’t receive pension after 25 years of service until you reach age 55. The 8 year drop after 25 years is not really an “option”, who really lasts that long.***
    ***Yes, “always short handed” so you will be busy.***
    ***Pretty much standard as others, I believe you can take car home anywhere within Hillsborough County now.***
    - top notch gear
    ***I have no idea why someone would even use that terminology, we still have vehicles that are 2013’s assigned and in use daily. We just got Taser 7’s after having X26’s for over 12 years. Firearms are decent. Uniform policy is strict, no summer patrol options, etc…***
    ***Morale is not very good (Not just because of the events of last year either), lowest I have ever seen here. We have lost veteran Officers, Detectives, Sergeants (9-17 years of service) to other local agencies who pay more, have better benefits, and who have collective bargaining representation (union) to help with “good ol boy” problems. As much as I would love to have the vacancies filled and would love to tell you how great it is, I have a conscious and this is a good “sight picture” of what you’ll be dealt if you get hired here.***

Unregistered

Retired

I agree with the previous post. Pay could be better and the festival is a hard two weeks but I hear the festival pay increased. Not bad equipment and moral is better than when I was a LEO. Good luck fellas and stay safe.