Fort myers shutting down - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    We’re not shutting down. We are rebranding as Denver pd east just as Tampa as rebranded as a Michigan state police sub station! We are no longer captains we will be called commanders.
    I actually heard the Denver guy say on a conference call he was advancing the brand! It's been awhile but it sure was memorable 😂😂😂

Unregistered
    We’re not shutting down. We are rebranding as Denver pd east just as Tampa as rebranded as a Michigan state police sub station! We are no longer captains we will be called commanders.
    I am sure these two Captains are good guys and were good cops back in the day. However, they are a big part of the problem with this agency. They are exactly what we do NOT need. Outsiders who never did "the job". They need to figure a way to get people from the inside to want to promote to Captain. The few LTs I have talked to say "heck no" when I ask them if they want to promote. No incentive to move and take the position. Then it screws those of us who want to promote to LT because there is nowhere for us to promote into. Bad all around!

Unregistered
    I am sure these two Captains are good guys and were good cops back in the day. However, they are a big part of the problem with this agency. They are exactly what we do NOT need. Outsiders who never did "the job". They need to figure a way to get people from the inside to want to promote to Captain. The few LTs I have talked to say "heck no" when I ask them if they want to promote. No incentive to move and take the position. Then it screws those of us who want to promote to LT because there is nowhere for us to promote into. Bad all around!
    ABT was never set up so people could make a career here. Very few start and finish their law enforcement or regulatory work life at ABT. The only real issue with promoting and the reason senior people don't is it isn't financially beneficial. Giving someone 5-10% and making them feel they are lucky is like dealing with a used car sales. You feel used, and want to take a shower. When you have an office that needs a captain and you can't get a LT to promote it is the agency that failed. Failure begins and ends with the Secretary.

Unregistered
    I think the big problem is the promotional process. If you know you have a LT capable that wants it promote them to captain. It’s demeaning to make them interview with outside candidates, within a police department they just promote people. Other than Chief they generally don’t interview outside people as well. Look at margate. Tommy apples and was more than capable and deserving. They decide to see what else is out there so tommy drops out. Then we end up with some guy who did absolutely nothing for a few months before quitting. Same thing in Miami a few years back with that bejar guy. Simple solution just promote from within and you’ll have more internal happiness.

Unregistered
    I think the big problem is the promotional process. If you know you have a LT capable that wants it promote them to captain. It’s demeaning to make them interview with outside candidates, within a police department they just promote people. Other than Chief they generally don’t interview outside people as well. Look at margate. Tommy apples and was more than capable and deserving. They decide to see what else is out there so tommy drops out. Then we end up with some guy who did absolutely nothing for a few months before quitting. Same thing in Miami a few years back with that bejar guy. Simple solution just promote from within and you’ll have more internal happiness.
    This agency will never be taken seriously when you can just wander in and be a captain or lieutenant or any other supervisory rank. Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue if FHP sent out an email to FHP ALL announcing the new Troop H Commander is someone from outside the Patrol? Can you imagine the Colonel trying to defend such a decision by stating "Commanders are just managers. They don't really need any first hand experience in how we operate" Well that low-grade insanity is so common here that people have just accepted it. What we need to make this a better place is people that want this to be a better place.

Unregistered
    I see your point but at the same time if no one is applying we have to go to the outside. Look at the Tampa captain. He came in as a Lt because no one from the agency put in for Lt. The fort myers captain was hired from the outside because no one internally applied. So sometimes outside hires are necessary.

Unregistered
    I see your point but at the same time if no one is applying we have to go to the outside. Look at the Tampa captain. He came in as a Lt because no one from the agency put in for Lt. The fort myers captain was hired farom the outside because no one internally applied. So sometimes outside hires are necessary.
    I see it as a total failure of the agency when you can't entice an internal promotion. It's the old chicken or egg argument really. I know of at least two captains that were hired from the outside because the pay increase for an internal lieutenant was so small it wouldn't cover the cost of relocating so he declined. An outside hire is never necessary but it is cheaper.

Unregistered
    I see your point but at the same time if no one is applying we have to go to the outside. Look at the Tampa captain. He came in as a Lt because no one from the agency put in for Lt. The fort myers captain was hired from the outside because no one internally applied. So sometimes outside hires are necessary.
    I'm still amazed of all you put on here for anyone to read. All of the complainers are the ones that never apply to promote. Agents can apply for a Captains spots here if you qualify. 95% of the agents here have never been a investigator at a traditional law enforcement agency and you wonder why your still a bottom feeder. Get a life.

Unregistered
    Who’s gone from agent to captain. Will never happen

Unregistered
    Who’s gone from agent to captain. Will never happen
    Tom Connors went from agent to captain. There have been others but their names have been lost to history. Ask an old timer.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast