Sheriff’s From FHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Sheriff’s From FHP

How many former troopers are now or were Sheriffs? It seems back in the day that a lot of FHP Troopers were pick by the Governors to fill vacancies when a Sheriff quit, was removed, or died in office. Where do the current ones mainly come from? FDLE, FHP, or from within the agency itself.

Do a lot of current or former troopers run for the office and how successful are they in elections? The past Orange County election made me wonder on this.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    How many former troopers are now or were Sheriffs? It seems back in the day that a lot of FHP Troopers were pick by the Governors to fill vacancies when a Sheriff quit, was removed, or died in office. Where do the current ones mainly come from? FDLE, FHP, or from within the agency itself.

Do a lot of current or former troopers run for the office and how successful are they in elections? The past Orange County election made me wonder on this.
    Policy states we are not talk about it with the public. But it's a lot.

Unregistered

Joe Lopez

Joe Lopez was the greatest leader in the history of the law enforcement community. He is the most intelligent and bestest law enforcement officer of all time. I ask you to support him in his run for sheriff of orange county. With everybody's help, we can improve on that 13 % of the vote.

Unregistered
    I personally know 8 Troopers that were elected sheriff.

Unregistered

They have to Appy

Policy states we are not talk about it with the public. But it's a lot.

FHP is one of the highest turnovers in Florida. The retention rate is literally less than five years. If that were true. Those days are longggggg over. They still receive great training for the basic LE acedcemy but after that. Your on your own. Many Florida Sheriffs are from within their agencies or surrounding.
    Maybe only small handful of counties in Florida even require outside assistance. Estimated less than 10% If they do, they rely on the neighboring counties. FHP unfortunately will work themselves out of the LE business. CVE will be under FDLE and the Sheriffs will absorb what few duties FHP even still does.
    Once the counties start absorbing the money from FHP budget and troopers are removed from the counties they are not needed. FHP will be just like the old FMP or GFC.

Back to the original note. If someone wants to apply for a SHERIFF position. They have to apply even when a SHERIFF passes or is removed by the Governor. FHP is no longer that elite agency and I really don't see them ever getting that back in todays era.

Unregistered
    And one of them ain't Joe Lopez. LOL

Unregistered
    Are these Sheriffs current? That’s a large number to be sure.

Unregistered
    Anyone can run to be a Florida SHERIFF You are not even required to be an LEO. You said the key word Elected.... Their are 66 elected Sheriffs and 1 apponited county police dept.. Im sure its possible they worked for FHP or heck anybody for that point. As for a Governor appointing a Trooper. Rare if not even un herd of....

Unregistered
    In recent times they were either internal from the Sheriffs Office itself or from FDLE. The last outside one I can think of not from those 2 paths was Sheriff Gainey ( Marion) who was appointed from the AGs office for about 4 -5 months. The days of FHP appointments and elections have definitely dwindled from the 70s and 80s but no doubt it could still happen.

Unregistered
    In recent times they were either internal from the Sheriffs Office itself or from FDLE. The last outside one I can think of not from those 2 paths was Sheriff Gainey ( Marion) who was appointed from the AGs office for about 4 -5 months. The days of FHP appointments and elections have definitely dwindled from the 70s and 80s but no doubt it could still happen.
    You're forgetting current Broward County Sheriff Gregory Tony. Immediately after his inauguration, Governor DeSantis suspended Sheriff Scott Israel and appointed Gregory Tony. Are you ready for Tony's background? He was a Coral Springs Police Officer for about 10 years, attaining the rank of Sergeant. He resigned to work full-time for his company which provided active-shooter and other training.

So how does this former Sergeant from a mid-size city become Sheriff of the largest Sheriff's Office in the state (and one of the top 10 in the nation)? He was a gym buddy of one of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting victim's fathers, and the father is an unofficial advisor of the Governor.

Now he oversees more Deputies than FHP has Troopers, hundreds of firefighters, 4 jails, and dispatch for the entire county. All because he went to right gym.

Truly unbelievable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast