Looking for the best department in the area

Unregistered

Looking for the best department in the area

I will soon be relocating to the Tampa/Sarasota area (about halfway between the two) and am looking for the best department possible for me. I have worked for a big city Sheriff most of my career and am partial to Sheriff's Offices over PDs but am open to all.

I am looking for a place where I will get hired and move up quickly. I know that many that post on here have a negative view of PCSO, but that seems to be true with most departments on this site. The SO where I currently work has a large amount of disgruntled deputies, but I am very happy where I am. We are only relocating for my wife's job and for better weather.

A little about me, I have a:
    Master's Degree
    16 years experience
    3 years as a detective
    5 years in Traffic
    6 years SWAT operator
    3 years as a Corporal
    I am labeled as a "company man" but am very much a cop's cop and just enjoy my job.

Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated

Unregistered
    You won’t be “moving up quickly” at all. You will be a new guy here, and treated as such. Your experience will be beneficial, but you won’t be treated special because of it. Everyone thinks they’re gonna come here and be some hot shot. You’re a number, and if your time comes to “move up” then it comes.

Unregistered
    If all you expect is a steady paycheck, decent health insurance and pension, this agency will meet your objectives. Anything more involves politics so if you are not connected prepare to be disappointed.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    6 years SWAT operator
    Well, it looks like you have an outstanding resume. Contact me directly at SJowell@pcsonet.com

I'm leaving next June, but I'll be back and you'll be greatful. Be prepared to "kiss the ring".

Unregistered
    If you want ruin your career then come here. You can do a million things right, but one slip up then it a level five and a level three, minimum, with forty hours off without pay. Really bad, termination, and you never work in state of Florida again. IA here is for you to prove your innocence. If you got 16 years done, stay where you are at and retire there. This is a right to work state which they can fire you for anything. Yes, we have a union, but it caters to the sheriff and his doing. Plus, it’s 30 year retirement here or age 60. You don’t max out on pay until year 16. The pay is good with benefits, but the admin sucks. Very corrupt. Beware, stay where you are at and don’t jeopardize your career.

Unregistered
    Tampa PD has a 20 year and out pension, we have the state pension which is 30 years and out or age 60. Also our pension does not have a COLA. With your resume you should be an easy hire for TPD.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Tampa PD has a 20 year and out pension, we have the state pension which is 30 years and out or age 60. Also our pension does not have a COLA. With your resume you should be an easy hire for TPD.

I agree. Tampa PD. Best pay and retirement. Plus, they will let you buy 5 year previous law enforcement so you would really only need to do 15 years plus drop if you want. The city gives you a low or maybe no interest loan for five years to buy the 5.