Retirement hypothetical question: Correctoins officer v. Probation Officer - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Unregistered
    Person X is wasting his/her time at DOC. If the degree does not prepare you for a high paying job it is not worth the money and time invested.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Person X was a dumb ass and should have worked their way through college and then the dumb ass would not have such a large student loan.

Person Y graduated High School in 1990, and went to work at age 19 on the prison side. By the time person Y retired, he made it to the rank of Major. Finally, Person Y has a sweet retirement pay and is traveling the world at age 50. I guess the moral of the story is, Person X is a dumb ass.
    Blessed that I am covered by the wife insurance. Now, back to my travel. Really feel bad about those who live in the X world.

Unregistered
    Person X was a dumb ass and should have worked their way through college and then the dumb ass would not have such a large student loan.

Person Y graduated High School in 1990, and went to work at age 19 on the prison side. By the time person Y retired, he made it to the rank of Major. Finally, Person Y has a sweet retirement pay and is traveling the world at age 50. I guess the moral of the story is, Person X is a dumb ass.
    Person Y was smart enough to marry a pretty young lady who still works for the State. Hence, my insurance is covered. Again, moral of the story is, Person Y is brilliant. And Person X is a dumb azz.

Unregistered
    Oh yea, and the COLA is nice too.

Unregistered
    Now, back to the beach. 🌴

Unregistered
    Oh yea, and the COLA is nice too.
    The COLA accumulation ended in 2010. Years worked after that will not have a COLA during retirement.

Unregistered
    You forgot about the folks who were Grandfathered in...

Unregistered

The question asked is answered above.

Unregistered
    The COLA accumulation ended in 2010. Years worked after that will not have a COLA during retirement.
    COLA is there for time earned prior to July 1, 2011. As noted above, you don't earn COLA for your time after that date. The downside is that 3% COLA act shrinks with each year you work after 2011. You may end up with COLA of 2% or less. In my own case, I had 24 years when Rick Scott led the legislature to smack state employees up side the head. I am still working but my estimate shows my COLA to be 2.2% when I pull the plug this year. The bill that created the problem actually sun settled in 2016. The legislature can bring COLA back. What are the chances of that? Zero.Zero chance.

Unregistered
    COLA is there for time earned prior to July 1, 2011. As noted above, you don't earn COLA for your time after that date. The downside is that 3% COLA act shrinks with each year you work after 2011. You may end up with COLA of 2% or less. In my own case, I had 24 years when Rick Scott led the legislature to smack state employees up side the head. I am still working but my estimate shows my COLA to be 2.2% when I pull the plug this year. The bill that created the problem actually sun settled in 2016. The legislature can bring COLA back. What are the chances of that? Zero.Zero chance.
    NO, I have not seen it happen yet; BUT I heard they were capping at 2% now moving forward for everyone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast