Retiring Fed Lateraling to FHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Junior Member LEO Affairs Recruit

Retiring Fed Lateraling to FHP

Im coming up on mandatory retirement from the Feds and looking to move to the panhandle. I'm also looking at depts to get hired with. Thankfully I'm in really good shape physically and have lots of years left to serve in the profession. Im aware of the morale issues with FHP and the crappy salary. Fortunately money isnt a concern to me, Ill be set with my retirement pay. Ill also secure my POST cert before applying to FHP so I will be able to attend the lateral class. Any insight on how the lateral academy is run? Appx weeks and the level of PT? I'd like to stay in the panhandle area as well. Do they provide you with your duty station at the time of final offer? Has anyone heard of any retired federal agents going with FHP? Any help is appreciated.

Unregistered
    Yes. FHP is the way to go. Your class will be 4 weeks and pt is a breeze if you in decent shape. Bay county is one of the best assignments in the area.

Unregistered
    Do it. With a retirement coming in you will do GREAT financially. It IS a great agency despite what you might read on this site!

Unregistered
    No way. ABT is your ticket. No nights, weekends or holidays. Low expectations from Tallahassee, free car, same retirement as FHP, no shifts, no radio, no stress and 40k a year. You already said you aren't driven by money so you can accept a lower start if pay to go ABT. The best thing is any person with half an ambition can be a captain in a couple years!

Junior Member LEO Affairs Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    No way. ABT is your ticket. No nights, weekends or holidays. Low expectations from Tallahassee, free car, same retirement as FHP, no shifts, no radio, no stress and 40k a year. You already said you aren't driven by money so you can accept a lower start if pay to go ABT. The best thing is any person with half an ambition can be a captain in a couple years!
    Haha...no way brother. I'm from the old school when cops were actually cops. I'm retired from the local pd in New Orleans and Ill have the second retirement from the feds. Almost 30 years of leo experience. Ill leave the booze police and the checking ID's to the guys who don't wanna be real cops. That goes for school / campus cops as well. If you wanna be the police....be the police. Rant over.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by TXICE View Post
    Haha...no way brother. I'm from the old school when cops were actually cops. I'm retired from the local pd in New Orleans and Ill have the second retirement from the feds. Almost 30 years of leo experience. Ill leave the booze police and the checking ID's to the guys who don't wanna be real cops. That goes for school / campus cops as well. If you wanna be the police....be the police. Rant over.

You want to be "The real police" huh? I have some bad news for ya Tex.........

Unregistered
    Wow. You would think after almost 30 years you would have learned something useful. Real cops? I don't care who you are that is funny.

Unregistered
    FHP is about as far from “police work” as you can get in Florida. Even the school cops, airport cops, and “booze police” do more actual police work than FHP. It is the bottom of the barrel for LE in FL. Stay away. In fact run away.

Unregistered
    I think this is a trolling post. No way this guy is real

Unregistered
    I heard several times during my career that FHP is the Navy Seals of Law Enforcemenr and I’d love to be a part of that brotherhood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast