Body cameras are coming --- The last straw for many - Page 20
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    As a private citizen...I can’t understand why some officers would resist wearing a body camera. I talked to a sheriff at the target store and I asked him about cameras and he said he was thrilled to receive a body camera because it would protect him from false allegations. He thought it was a brilliant decision by the upper level people.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Stupid azz! Not everyone is great at every single position in the agency. 99% of the other supervisors would fall flat on their face if they tried to do the things he has done over the years. Being some kind of 1960’s throwback cop with a flat top haircut and too much testosterone is not the standard for what makes an excellent law enforcement leader. His skill set is pretty unique. YOU may not see the value in his work, but you’re just a line worker who doesn’t understand the big picture of running a large and progressive agency. When your opinion is desired (or even respected), you’ll be asked for it. In the meantime, sit down and shut up.
    Lol line worker your funny

Unregistered
    As a private citizen...I can’t understand why some officers would resist wearing a body camera. I talked to a sheriff at the target store and I asked him about cameras and he said he was thrilled to receive a body camera because it would protect him from false allegations. He thought it was a brilliant decision by the upper level people.
    Some people like em some don't. If it was just used for cases and to "prevent false allegations" that would be one thing. However it is not. The videos get posted to social media, admin reviews and criticizes and questions why you did what you did, officer discretion is gone, everyone's privacy is gone (including medical calls) and death investigations (would you want a loved one who passed to be recorded and available to the public?), if a cop is on scene with a body camera they are likely recording (all public record), and MANY MORE EXAMPLES.. So, what was intended to be used for good is being used against us and at times the public. Do you want everyone to know your business? The layout and interior of your house? You ask me to stop recording.. nope I can't Due to violating policy. People walk up to us and want to provide information of a crime or drug activity and wish to remain anonymous; nope. Policy states I have to record when dealing with the public. So they see that camera get turned on and they turn and walk away. So just a small layer of the many issues.

Unregistered
    So what you’re saying is cameras will cause people doing the wrong things to be exposed and fired. The cameras will weed out the weak links in the agency. The agency will be better because the poor performers will be ousted. The deputies will be better because they won’t have to work with people who are lazy or shady. It’s a win-win. The professional law enforcement officers support body cameras and support the sheriff!
    Again with the childish manipulative “so what you’re saying....” insert strawman argument here. I said what I said. There in no further analysis. It cant be any more clear. Don't assume. Read it for what it is.

Unregistered
    Based on your first sentence, you have no say here. You were given politically correct responses by that “sheriff”. That is how we talk to the sheep. To shield them. Stay off this site. You would have to work here a long time to understand.

Unregistered
    Based on your first sentence, you have no say here. You were given politically correct responses by that “sheriff”. That is how we talk to the sheep. To shield them. Stay off this site. You would have to work here a long time to understand.
    Well I work here and I have no issues with wearing a camera.

Unregistered
    Some people like em some don't. If it was just used for cases and to "prevent false allegations" that would be one thing. However it is not. The videos get posted to social media, admin reviews and criticizes and questions why you did what you did, officer discretion is gone, everyone's privacy is gone (including medical calls) and death investigations (would you want a loved one who passed to be recorded and available to the public?), if a cop is on scene with a body camera they are likely recording (all public record), and MANY MORE EXAMPLES.. So, what was intended to be used for good is being used against us and at times the public. Do you want everyone to know your business? The layout and interior of your house? You ask me to stop recording.. nope I can't Due to violating policy. People walk up to us and want to provide information of a crime or drug activity and wish to remain anonymous; nope. Policy states I have to record when dealing with the public. So they see that camera get turned on and they turn and walk away. So just a small layer of the many issues.
    Exactly! That is just a few of the negative issues the public does not see or realize when it comes to body cameras. There are so many more. Depending on how the video is labeled for storage purposes, that video is saved from 1 year to several decades and available to the public upon request.

Body cameras being used to "prevent false allegations" is just a very small percentage cosidering less then 10% of cops across the country have been investigated for misconduct. So that is just a sales pitch. In reality, it is a multi purpose tool to include its main purpose of being one of the greatest intelligence gathering devices.

Why would there be such a large debate about facial recognition software used in police body cameras. Why would local law enforcement agencies need facial recognition programs if body cameras were just being used "to prevent false allagations". Chances are myself or someone else who works the area knows who we are looking for and where they hangout at. I do not need facial recognition software.

Local cops walking around scanning and recording everyone around them...not needed.. If a major crime takes place where facial recognition software is actually needed, it is likely the feds are already on the way with there high tech equipment.

So like someone else stated, "some people like em some don't". Personally from my experience, the majority don't like them. Partly because they understand the privacy and ethical issues and knows the technology is not just being used "to prevent false allegations" or for cases that go to court.

Unregistered
    Exactly! That is just a few of the negative issues the public does not see or realize when it comes to body cameras. There are so many more. Depending on how the video is labeled for storage purposes, that video is saved from 1 year to several decades and available to the public upon request.

Body cameras being used to "prevent false allegations" is just a very small percentage cosidering less then 10% of cops across the country have been investigated for misconduct. So that is just a sales pitch. In reality, it is a multi purpose tool to include its main purpose of being one of the greatest intelligence gathering devices.

Why would there be such a large debate about facial recognition software used in police body cameras. Why would local law enforcement agencies need facial recognition programs if body cameras were just being used "to prevent false allagations". Chances are myself or someone else who works the area knows who we are looking for and where they hangout at. I do not need facial recognition software.

Local cops walking around scanning and recording everyone around them...not needed.. If a major crime takes place where facial recognition software is actually needed, it is likely the feds are already on the way with there high tech equipment.

So like someone else stated, "some people like em some don't". Personally from my experience, the majority don't like them. Partly because they understand the privacy and ethical issues and knows the technology is not just being used "to prevent false allegations" or for cases that go to court.
    Cool story bro. That camera will look so good on you.

Unregistered

Great write up. Great points. Thank you.

Unregistered
    Great post. Nobody that works here wants cameras.

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast