Body cameras are coming --- The last straw for many - Page 25
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Point made! I wish I could catch real fish that fast. 14 minutes from throwing the bait out to getting a catch. 😎
    Once he gets his body camera, we can review and edit his reports for him in real time. Then, just maybe, he won't get passed over for the 10th time for whatever position he has been applying for. There, I brought the discussion back on track.

Unregistered
    This agency is not collectively mature enough for body cameras. Although it is technically over 170 years old, the agency is operated as if it opened its doors a few months ago. Too much still seems up in the air. We still do not even have a clear idea as to what our rolls are and what we do and do not respond to. The agency is still too scared to say no to callers when their requests are not law enforcement related. We are still sent to too many situations where we should not be putting our noses in. Not to mention the huge liability it opens up when we have no legal backing while we are made to be pseudo therapists, pseudo parents, and mediators. All for votes and to prevent complaints. How about lets stop enabling the learned helplessness that has infected our county. How about start by setting what we do in stone and dispatching us to crime calls only. We go to too many “what if” and cya calls. Add body cameras to that mess. No way. Staff us properly, grow up, and then bring the cameras. By growing up, I mean learn to say No, stop eating your young, and stop chasing away your experienced deputies.

Unregistered
    This agency is not collectively mature enough for body cameras. Although it is technically over 170 years old, the agency is operated as if it opened its doors a few months ago. Too much still seems up in the air. We still do not even have a clear idea as to what our rolls are and what we do and do not respond to. The agency is still too scared to say no to callers when their requests are not law enforcement related. We are still sent to too many situations where we should not be putting our noses in. Not to mention the huge liability it opens up when we have no legal backing while we are made to be pseudo therapists, pseudo parents, and mediators. All for votes and to prevent complaints. How about lets stop enabling the learned helplessness that has infected our county. How about start by setting what we do in stone and dispatching us to crime calls only. We go to too many “what if” and cya calls. Add body cameras to that mess. No way. Staff us properly, grow up, and then bring the cameras. By growing up, I mean learn to say No, stop eating your young, and stop chasing away your experienced deputies.
    How about this, how about that. None of your suggestions will ever be put into practice. Not gonna happen. Ever. Regarding your statement about bringing in body cameras (“No way”), yes way. It’s going to happen and there’s nothing you can do about it. You don’t get to say no way to body cameras. You’re getting a body camera and you’re going to wear a damn body camera, like it or not. As far as what kind of calls you will respond to, you have no say in that either. Workers at Taco Bell don’t get to say no way to making and serving chalupas. If they want to make and serve a BMT, they quit and apply at Subway. You will respond to the calls you are told to respond to, and you will wear a damn body camera when you do it. End of story.

Unregistered
    You will respond to the calls you are told to respond to, and you will wear a damn body camera when you do it. End of story.

Yeah, good luck with that one. Let me know how that works out for you. I will not wear a body camera.

Unregistered
    Yeah, good luck with that one. Let me know how that works out for you. I will not wear a body camera.
    That’s because you’re just a civilian troll.

Unregistered
    I would bet that body cameras is playing a part of the police shortage across the country. Who wants to be recorded all day at work. Then questioned and criticized on every act and/or decision they chose by the people who don't work and understand the profession or don't wear a body cam even though they have a badge and gun.

Unregistered
    I would bet that body cameras is playing a part of the police shortage across the country. Who wants to be recorded all day at work. Then questioned and criticized on every act and/or decision they chose by the people who don't work and understand the profession or don't wear a body cam even though they have a badge and gun.
    You may be correct in your analysis. However it doesn’t change a thing. Body cameras are coming. You are going to be issued a body camera and you are going to wear a damn body camera. Why this is happening and how it affects the big picture is not your concern. You just need to worry about doing your job and doing it right. Worry about learning how to do your job without breaking rules and half azzing investigations. Earn your money. You’d never find a job in the private sector that pays this much with so little work so keep your mouth shut unless you’re saying thank you.

Unregistered
    You're right. I wouldn't find a job in the private sector paying this much. Jobs in the private sector doing substantially similar work for the same amount of hours pay quite a bit more. But I enjoy my work even if I could do without the BS so I stay here. Our pay is in the right range for the public sector and low for the private sector. Just like every private job out there.

Unregistered
    You're right. I wouldn't find a job in the private sector paying this much. Jobs in the private sector doing substantially similar work for the same amount of hours pay quite a bit more. But I enjoy my work even if I could do without the BS so I stay here. Our pay is in the right range for the public sector and low for the private sector. Just like every private job out there.
    Then quit whining and accept you are going to wear a body camera. Embrace it. Be proud that you work for a progressive law enforcement agency that didn’t jump right on the body camera band wagon but took a few years to really analyze it and make sure it will be done the right way. Every agency in the country will be wearing body cameras in a few years so complaining about HCSO doing it is just ridiculous. There will be no such thing as an agency not having body cameras in just a few years.

Unregistered
    You may be correct in your analysis. However it doesn’t change a thing. Body cameras are coming. You are going to be issued a body camera and you are going to wear a damn body camera. Why this is happening and how it affects the big picture is not your concern. You just need to worry about doing your job and doing it right. Worry about learning how to do your job without breaking rules and half azzing investigations. Earn your money. You’d never find a job in the private sector that pays this much with so little work so keep your mouth shut unless you’re saying thank you.
    You speak so high of body cameras it is odd. Like you are invested in them or get some kind of kick back or other benefit from the company. I do my job and do it well. "Half azzing" like you say is not my style and I don't need to have a babysitter. However, when there are staffing issues and I am told by a supervisor to get x8 for calls in the middle of an investigation I will make sure that is captured on video. So when I am questioned why I didn't do certain things I will be covered.

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast