Thread: Crack Rental?

Unregistered

Crack Rental?

Unregistered

cold case file

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Fort Lauderdale assistant chief's cop car stolen

Linda Trischitta, Sun Sentinel

Even the second in command of the Fort Lauderdale Police Department isn't immune from property crime.

On May 31, Assistant Police Chief Steve Kinsey discovered that his unmarked maroon Ford Taurus wasn't in his driveway.

The car disappeared between midnight and 6 a.m., he said, along with two badges, a hand-held radio and his personal Beretta .380 handgun, which he estimated is worth about $500.

"I'm not happy about that," said Kinsey, 43, who lives in a gated community. "I don't think anybody likes being a crime victim."

The Beretta is his backup pistol; it was locked in the Ford's glove compartment because his home gun safe only holds one weapon, he said Monday.

"The car was locked, absolutely, and I have the keys," Kinsey said. "They weren't in the ignition or anything dumb like that."

Miami Gardens Police found the car unlocked around 10 p.m. the same day. It was on Northwest 27th Avenue near Northwest 189th Street, a few blocks from Miami Dade Police's internal affairs bureau.

Miami Gardens detectives watched the Ford for a few hours and did a K-9 search around the car, the agency's report states, but no one came near it.

Kinsey said he has "full faith that Davie Police will arrest the bad guys." That agency processed the car for fingerprints and DNA.

The town reported 278 cars were stolen in 2011, compared to 601 stolen in Fort Lauderdale that year.

Kinsey has served two decades with Fort Lauderdale Police and supervises road patrols, marine, mounted and other units.

Over the past four years, he said he could recall at least two times when thieves broke into marked police cars.

What does it mean that someone would break into an unmarked vehicle that Kinsey said most criminals could identify as a cop's car?

"It means they're very brazen," Kinsey said. "They took it upon themselves to actually steal a police car while knowing a police officer who probably has a weapon is inside the house."

He said the stolen car, recovered "dirty" but intact, has police lights on the rear-view mirror and above the back seat.

"There's no telling if they saw me get out of the car, in uniform," said Kinsey, who will use a different police car.

He said his kids are too young to have taken dad's Ford on a joyride, and he doesn't believe he is the victim of a prank by another officer.

"Absolutely no chance that happened," Kinsey said. "We like to joke around, but that's on a different level. There is no way someone would steal my police car and take all my stuff. No one in Fort Lauderdale would do that, let alone another agency."

Many of the departments' vehicles have a tracking system Kinsey said the agency uses for officer safety, but his car did not. He does not have security cameras.

Though the car was recovered, the case is not closed.

"The ignition wasn't punched, and there was no broken glass," Kinsey said. "I wonder if they towed it or had a key?"

Ltrischitta@Tribune.com, 954-356-4233 or Twitter @LindaTrischitta