Questions about department
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Questions about department

Hello,

Current Leo in Hillsborough county looking to make a move. I have a few questions I can’t find on the website and was hoping to get some insight.

- How are the shifts, 12’s?
    - Is there a take home car policy, if so how is it and after how long?
    - Is there a step program for pay? Any talk of raises?
    - How is the call volume? Time to be proactive?
    - How is agency moral?
    - How are the benefits?
    - Can you apply for specialty units after a year?

I know it’s a lot of questions but i would greatly appreciate the insight.

Thank you and be safe

Unregistered
    12 hour shifts. 630-630 and 10a-10p. Steps...we are nearing a contract so the union is asking for 15% raise for everyone. Word is it should be close to that. Take home cars up to 20 miles,as the crow flies. Our chain of command are cops! Former SWAT, CID, SIS, THI, etc. They actually know what it's like! Pension is ridiculously high, but the raises should help a lot. The pension should be addressed next year. Plenty of movement to specialty units. Our SWAT is consistently finishing the SWAT Roundup as one of the best in the world! We have everything but a copter. We have drone operators though. Best part, for me, is it's big enough to move around, but small enough to be a family. Everyone, including the chief works for the same commission, so totally differy vibe than working for an elected official. Call volume can be crazy, at times, and slow at times. Supervisors encourage proactivity! All agencies have issues, obviously, but overall LPD is a great place to work!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    12 hour shifts. 630-630 and 10a-10p. Steps...we are nearing a contract so the union is asking for 15% raise for everyone. Word is it should be close to that. Take home cars up to 20 miles,as the crow flies. Our chain of command are cops! Former SWAT, CID, SIS, THI, etc. They actually know what it's like! Pension is ridiculously high, but the raises should help a lot. The pension should be addressed next year. Plenty of movement to specialty units. Our SWAT is consistently finishing the SWAT Roundup as one of the best in the world! We have everything but a copter. We have drone operators though. Best part, for me, is it's big enough to move around, but small enough to be a family. Everyone, including the chief works for the same commission, so totally differy vibe than working for an elected official. Call volume can be crazy, at times, and slow at times. Supervisors encourage proactivity! All agencies have issues, obviously, but overall LPD is a great place to work!
    You say 20 miles, as the crow flies for homes. Is that from the department or the city of Lakeland? Or the county? I current live in the Brandon/Riverview area. If you live outside of the 20 is there an option to pay millage?

Thanks again!

Unregistered
    When you say 20 miles as the crow flies, do you mean from the PD or from the city of Lakeland? Or the county? If you’re over 20 miles can you pay for ever mike after? I’m currently in the Brandon area, that’s why i ask.

Also is it a 20 or 25 year retirement?

Thank you again!

Unregistered
    No mileage option yet. You can park it at a fire station, or something similar. (Police Dept, Sub-station, etc) Dppending on where you live, the circle goes all the way to Kingsway. It is 20 miles from the station.

25 year retirement, but vested at 10.

Unregistered
    Stay away from all Polk County law enforcement agencies! You will be grossly underpaid and the laughingstock of Florida law enforcement. Although LPD is the highest paid agency in the area, they are by far the biggest joke in Florida law enforcement. Make the drive to Hillsborough...

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Stay away from all Polk County law enforcement agencies! You will be grossly underpaid and the laughingstock of Florida law enforcement. Although LPD is the highest paid agency in the area, they are by far the biggest joke in Florida law enforcement. Make the drive to Hillsborough...

Amen to that!

Unregistered
    In 1995, I briefly worked as a 911 dispatcher/operator. I was making less than $8.00 an hour before tax deductions. I worked at the Auburndale PD. I had applications with the Winter Haven PD, Haines City PD, and Lakeland PD. Auburndale was the first PD that offered me a job. These Polk County law enforcement agencies paid about $7.50 to $9.40 per hour before tax deductions. Don’t work in Polk County law enforcement if you want to make good wages and have a respectable career. I left Auburndale PD 3 weeks into the job.

Unregistered
    My brief employment, at the Auburndale PD, was a learning experience. I should have never taken that job and quickly corrected my mistake. Grossly underpaid is a very accurate description.

Unregistered
    I would avoid Lakeland. Our pension contribution is sky high (highest in the state) while the city refuses to offer any relief even though their side of the contribution is lower than most cities pay.

Our pay is 10% lower than competing agencies before even considering our terrible pension contribution. The union is fighting with the city to get more money, but the city flat out refuses to pay.

When our electric company workers won more money in arbitration, the city still refused to pay and had to be sued to honor their contract.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from Lakeland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast