Questions about department

Unregistered

Questions about department

Hello,

Current Leo in Hillsborough county looking to move south. I have a few questions I can’t find on the website and was hoping to get some insight.

- How are the shifts, 12’s?
    - Is there a take home car policy, if so how is it and after how long?
    - Is there a step program for pay? Any talk of raises?
    - How is the call volume? Time to be proactive?
    - How is agency moral?
    - How are the benefits?
    - Can you apply for specialty units after a year?

I know it’s a lot of questions but i would greatly appreciate the insight.

Thank you and be safe

Unregistered
    1. We are on 12 hour shifts.

2.We have a take home car policy which kicks in after FTO. you are allowed to live 45 miles from the city as the crow flies.

3. Our step program is every year up to year 12. After that, no more raises. But for 12 years, they come quickly.

4. Call volume is moderate to high. The city is growing faster than the department will be able to keep up. There are giant condos going up everywhere. But in between there is time for self initiated activity.

5. Morale is non existent. Our chief is despicable, and loathed by nearly every officer. She has promoted the worst of the worst and created an environment where supervisors are encouraged to write officers up all the time whether they have done wrong or not.

6. Benefits are good. We have our own pension that we pay 8 percent into. Our insurance rates are rising, but the union is fighting hard for us as I type.

7. Specialty units are typically open at 3 years, however, a lack of interest from officers to be on certain units has opened them up to younger officers.

It is a great department, with great people, in a great town. One bad leader can destroy everything, but she wont be here forever.

Unregistered
    What is the starting and top out pay for this agency?

Unregistered
    If you work for HCSO, to SSO, retirement carries over and they pay for previous years if service

Unregistered

If your African American, Run For The Hills

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello,

Current Leo in Hillsborough county looking to move south. I have a few questions I can’t find on the website and was hoping to get some insight.

- How are the shifts, 12’s?
    - Is there a take home car policy, if so how is it and after how long?
    - Is there a step program for pay? Any talk of raises?
    - How is the call volume? Time to be proactive?
    - How is agency moral?
    - How are the benefits?
    - Can you apply for specialty units after a year?

I know it’s a lot of questions but i would greatly appreciate the insight.

Thank you and be safe
    The same way SPD thinks its ok to put your knee on an African Americans neck, is the same reason African Americans on the Force (YOUR OFFICERS) can't and won't get promoted.
    CHIEF DIPINO where were you when your Deputy Chief took a knee in solidarity? Its your department, you are responsible for your staff's actions. Where is your News conference telling that young African American man you are sorry for your Officers actions?
    You talk about transparency, you only released this because someone leaked it to the media, so you had to address it. This happened weeks ago!
    Let's talk transparency.....
    How many African American Officers on your Force are in Supervisory Positions?
    How many are Field Training Officers (FTO's).....0
    How many are Sergeants?.........0
    How many are Lieutenants?........0
    How many are Detectives?.........0
    How many are Motorcycle Police Officers?........0
    How many on the Marine/Dive Team?.......0
    How many on the Street Crimes Unit?.......0
    How many are on Narcotics?........0
    YOUR STAFF IS NOT REFLECTIVE OF THE COMMUNITY THAT YOU SERVE

Unregistered
    How's the firearms training for SPD. I read an article from a few years ago that SPD officers only got about 1 hour a year of firearms training. Has it improved. Also, do you guys have rifles and shot guns assigned to officers.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    How's the firearms training for SPD. I read an article from a few years ago that SPD officers only got about 1 hour a year of firearms training. Has it improved. Also, do you guys have rifles and shot guns assigned to officers.
    Pre-COVID the department had open range that was hosted by the department that officers could go to. Ammo was provided as well as instruction for those looking to improve their skill-set. They also used to give ammo for practicing on your own (about 100 rounds). Since COVID and ammo shortages, I haven't seen either of these programs return.

Rifles and shotguns are assigned to officers. Shotguns only require paperwork and a qualification to get. Rifles require a 40 hour patrol rifle course that the department hosts about once per year.