POV's
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POV's

Unregistered

POV's

Wy are guys putting warning light in their POV's? Any one else seeing this crap?

Unregistered
    There's A LOT of it. Doesn't really bother me, it's their money if they want to blow it on lights and siren crap. Just doesn't make any sense to me though. What could you possibly need it for? You have a take home car. These guys must park their black and tan and go bust ISIS terror cells when they aren't working 208. Who knows. Or they just want traffic to get out of their way when they are on their way to pick up their kids

Unregistered
    843.081 Prohibited use of certain lights; penalty.—
    (1) The Legislature finds and declares that Florida’s citizens are vulnerable to becoming the victims of criminal acts through the illegal use of blue lights by the criminal elements. It is the intent of the Legislature to reduce this vulnerability to injury and loss of life and property by prohibiting the use of certain blue lights by any person other than an authorized law enforcement officer.
    (2) It is unlawful for a person to use in or on any nongovernmentally owned vehicle or vessel any flashing or rotating blue light unless such person is a law enforcement officer employed by a federal, state, county, or city law enforcement agency or is a person appointed by the Governor pursuant to chapter 354.
    (3) The provisions of this section shall not apply to salespersons, service representatives, or other employees of businesses licensed to sell or repair law enforcement equipment.
    (4) For the purposes of this section, the term “flashing or rotating blue light” includes all forms of lights which display a blue light source or which were designed with the intent of displaying a blue light source whether or not such light is actually in use.
    (5) Any person who violates any of the provisions of this section commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    843.081 Prohibited use of certain lights; penalty.—
    (1) The Legislature finds and declares that Florida’s citizens are vulnerable to becoming the victims of criminal acts through the illegal use of blue lights by the criminal elements. It is the intent of the Legislature to reduce this vulnerability to injury and loss of life and property by prohibiting the use of certain blue lights by any person other than an authorized law enforcement officer.
    (2) It is unlawful for a person to use in or on any nongovernmentally owned vehicle or vessel any flashing or rotating blue light unless such person is a law enforcement officer employed by a federal, state, county, or city law enforcement agency or is a person appointed by the Governor pursuant to chapter 354.
    (3) The provisions of this section shall not apply to salespersons, service representatives, or other employees of businesses licensed to sell or repair law enforcement equipment.
    (4) For the purposes of this section, the term “flashing or rotating blue light” includes all forms of lights which display a blue light source or which were designed with the intent of displaying a blue light source whether or not such light is actually in use.
    (5) Any person who violates any of the provisions of this section commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    So they are law enforcement officers, so they are allowed to do it, it’s stated “unless such person is a law enforcement officer employed by a federal, state, county, or city law enforcement agency.” The lazy corporal in pasco has his truck all lit up too. he’s a tool!

Unregistered
    Hose draggers in Kia souls with a hundred red lights and sirens

Unregistered
    So they are law enforcement officers, so they are allowed to do it, it’s stated “unless such person is a law enforcement officer employed by a federal, state, county, or city law enforcement agency.” The lazy corporal in pasco has his truck all lit up too. he’s a tool!
    Misuse emergency lights on your POV in my county and you're going to jail. No questions.

Unregistered
    A few years ago on (where else) the Turnpike, a Troop Ker stopped a Secret Service agent who was driving code in his SS car and wrote him for improper use of emergency lights...after taking his SS gun, dismantling it (yes taking it apart) and giving it back.

Seriously what is it with the Turnpike? Every horror story I hear about FHP seems to come from one Troop.

Unregistered
    A few years ago on (where else) the Turnpike, a Troop Ker stopped a Secret Service agent who was driving code in his SS car and wrote him for improper use of emergency lights...after taking his SS gun, dismantling it (yes taking it apart) and giving it back.

Seriously what is it with the Turnpike? Every horror story I hear about FHP seems to come from one Troop.
    I'm it turning my weapon over to you for a simple traffic stop. Now a battery or DV or some kind of violence where the taking of my weapon if justified sure. But for a simple traffic stop I am not going to be disarmed, nor is there anything in statute that would.back you doing so. Save all the bullshit "officer safety" comments. Leo to Leo good luck.

Unregistered
    Well lights in a POV I am sure professional standards would have something to say about that. Further your car insurance is not going to cover you if something goes bad.

And your POV is not an authorized emergency vehicle as is noted in statute. So not being a jerk but if I came up on an off duty leo with lights in their POV, I am def calling that agencies IA and also sending up a capias request to the local SAO and seeing where it goes. There just is no place in Law enforcement for these kinds of games.

Unregistered
    Well lights in a POV I am sure professional standards would have something to say about that. Further your car insurance is not going to cover you if something goes bad.

And your POV is not an authorized emergency vehicle as is noted in statute. So not being a jerk but if I came up on an off duty leo with lights in their POV, I am def calling that agencies IA and also sending up a capias request to the local SAO and seeing where it goes. There just is no place in Law enforcement for these kinds of games.
    Hopefully the SAO will laugh you right out of their office and recommend you agency put you through remedial reading classes.

The statute literally says that the provisions don't apply to a LEO even if it's an non-government-owned car. The fact is yes you can be a douchebag and make your POV a bright blue ball of lights and as long as you're a LEO it's legal. Now, you are right that a car insurance company will drop a policyholder like a hot potato but it's not a crime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast