Best department to work for - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Deputy View Post
    I will soon be relocating to the Tampa/Sarasota area (about halfway between the two) and am looking for the best department possible for me. I have worked for a big city Sheriff most of my career and am partial to Sheriff's Offices over PDs but am open to all.

I am looking for a place where I will get hired and move up quickly. I know that most that post on here have a negative view of HCSO, but that seems to be true with most departments on this site. The SO where I currently work has a large amount of disgruntled deputies, but I am very happy where I am. We are only relocating for my wife's job and for better weather.

A little about me, I have a:
    Master's Degree
    16 years experience
    3 years as a detective
    5 years in Traffic
    6 years SWAT operator
    3 years as a Corporal
    I am labeled as a "company man" but am very much a cop's cop and just enjoy my job.

Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.
    Stay far away from HCSO! As one poster commented “it’s not all about the money!” Yes they are the highest paying S.O. in the Bay Area, but again it’s not worth it! There in turmoil due to the new administration. Your skill set truly won’t matter. What matters is either your race, sexual orientation and / or who you know! TPD is the way to go! They also have their fare share of problems but better pension and union representation! You’ll never see that at HCSO!! Also stay away from Pasco S.O. Their Sheriff and other command staff are looking at RICO indictments coming in near future! Choose wisely-your happiness depends on it!

Midwest Deputy
    Ok, I think I will stay away from HCSO! I am also an Adjunct Criminal Justice Instructor at a University and am thinking of doing that part time at USF. What is their PD like? Real police or more like security guards?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Personally, I have noticed that the further South you go, the better things seem to be. I assume you will want a "one and done" type of deal instead of spending a few years at one agency and then jumping ship. My suggestion, go to Sarasota or Manatee County. I've had the pleasure of working with deputies from both agencies and hear many more positives than negatives. It's not always about the money. I would avoid this agency, at least for now. Things are not as bad as they have been in the past, but we have a long way to go before we are a great agency again.

If you can give consideration to a PD then look into applying for TPD (Tampa Police). They are one of the best agencies around and we frequently lose deputies to them. A few of my fellow LEO who have left to join them have said they regret not doing it sooner. They also pay more than us starting which will be a plus for you given your experience. Not to mention that they are on a shorter retirement plan than we are, so you won't be working as long.

Take care and good luck!
    Here is an article where Sarasota County deputies are being ordered to write more tickets with a quota:
    http://forums.leoaffairs.com/showthr...e-more-tickets

Unregistered
    Ok, I think I will stay away from HCSO! I am also an Adjunct Criminal Justice Instructor at a University and am thinking of doing that part time at USF. What is their PD like? Real police or more like security guards?
    You take a lot for granted. Why not take your masters, your adjunct job, all your SWAT experience and Mc Donald’s like over 4 million served and go federal. Surely you’d put Elliott Ness to shame,

Unregistered
    This clown boy has no business even thinking about joining the elite. What a joke!!!

Midwest Deputy
    You take a lot for granted. Why not take your masters, your adjunct job, all your SWAT experience and Mc Donald’s like over 4 million served and go federal. Surely you’d put Elliott Ness to shame,

I wish I could, but I am 39 years old.

Unregistered
    Good plan. Anybody dumb enough to take career advice from this cesspool we can certainly do without. These complaining puzzzys on here alternate posts between being short handed and then telling people not to apply. If you can’t identify the losers of the world, get some more experience.

Unregistered

They’re real police

USF are “real police” working a college campus setting. I’ve read through this topic you posted. I’ll assume for a moment you’re not just a troll. You don’t seem to have a clue what you want. If you have the time and experience you claim to have, I can’t imagine too many good reasons to leave a department you have 16 years invested in to start over at 40 years old. I know you claimed you’re 39. You also haven’t been hired yet here. Have you even applied to TPD, HCSO or USF? You have some experience but so do a lot of applicants. It could easily take a year from the time you apply until you get hired, if you get hired. Unless your wife’s job you’re moving for is a doctor at Tampa General and you’re just getting a job to pass time, I would suggest further evaluation of your move. Good luck.

Unregistered
    This clown boy has no business even thinking about joining the elite. What a joke!!!
    Elite! More like joining the INEPT😆. HCSO is a joke! You turd burglar😘

Unregistered
    Good plan. Anybody dumb enough to take career advice from this cesspool we can certainly do without. These complaining puzzzys on here alternate posts between being short handed and then telling people not to apply. If you can’t identify the losers of the world, get some more experience.
    That is a good point. You mentioned that after a few of my posts in the past. I tell people not to come work here then I also complain that we are short handed. The same reason that you don't understand why I do that, is the same narcissistic macho type-A mentality that has destroyed this agency and prevents repairs. Luring more deputies to work here under false pretenses is not the answer. I can not lie to anyone and tell them how great things are to trick them into working here. First off, its wrong and a possible 30 sentence of misery. Second, they will see it for themselves and quit. 2 to 3 years on average. How do you stop a sinking ship with a gaping hole in its hull? Bring in pumps and more pumps to pump the water out? A revolving door of water? Deputies? Or fix the leak and then pump the water out? Fix the reason we are losing people, then fully staff us. Ill push people to apply here when I feel in my heart that it would not be a mistake for them. Money and benefits mean very little. Positive feedback, positive reinforcement, reward systems, advancement, fairness, and basic things that make a company a healthy place to work are what people want. Not this dog eat dog, cut throat, eating its own young system that limps along leaking deputies system we have. Say whatever you want. I understand your reason for being here. To undermine these posts. Maybe learn from them instead. Tall order huh? Actually listening? I wont call you names or insult you. I have the most powerful proof ever. Just come work here. You will see for yourself. I don't have to lift a finger.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast