New uniforms? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New uniforms?

Unregistered
    The new uniform being tested looks hideous. It’s the crime scene tech pants with the matching shirt with your brass sewed on.

Unregistered
    I do agree that all officers should be afforded the option to wear the same vests as the bike squad to lessen the weight on your hips and low back. It was not easy to get it approved for bikes. It was proven that it is a need to have the gear off the gun belt while riding a bike. If you have never pedaled a bike while your taser jams into your thigh then you would have no idea why it was approved. Or patrolled on a bike with a feels like temperature over 100 and the need to remove you vest quickly to cool immediately.

Again I agree everyone should be able to wear it. I also don’t like the negativity towards the bike unit.

Unregistered

Bike unit is COP.

The issue is everyone is hot standing on a scene for hours or directing traffic for hours. The digging Into hip and legs happens to people sitting in cars etc. However the main issue is you get 30% more coverage with an exterior carrier, hip and backs are less prone to injury, iFAK is carried everywhere so you don’t have to return to your car to save your life, and all the other major cities up north and Temple Terrace have already approved the outer vest.

Plus how is it militaristic but you approve the COP bike unit to wear them around feel good citizens all day and kids at bike A-thons.

The same vest bike units have should be approved for all.

Unregistered
    I just ran across this thread out of coincidence. I work for a department south of Tampa and we just recently got weight bearing vest. In just a short period of time, my hip pain has gone away, lower back pain had reduced significantly, etc. Weight is distributed a lot more proportionately and gives you way more mobility to run or even just walk. Ours also come with a ceramic rifle plate. If your department has the opportunity to get these I would definitely fight for it.

Unregistered
    How the public views police uniforms should never be factored. The fastest way to destroy police effectiveness is to pander to liberal snowflakes. Having cops look like Mr Rogers will not help stop crime and will only harm cops.

Unregistered
    It's the retired tool with the biggest mouth here. Thank you for thinking that my opinion carrys so much weight. I'm honored. But rest assured, I never give my opinion without facts, evidence and some personal experience (that stuff that most are lacking). Just to touch on one point in the previous post. You do NOT get more coverage in an outer carrier. How can you when your panels are the same? You have more material but not more protection. Just wanted correct that real quick. There are many many more reasons that the outer carrier isn't the end all be all. But feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss. Don't let your desire to look "tacticool" cloud your thought process. Bike guys have a special purpose/ need and that is why they are part of their uniform. Still don't care for the carriers but not my call.
    I had so much more I wanted to say but I would hurt feelings and then all of the cowardly, anonymous responses would flow in and that doesn't accomplish much. Bottom line is, it doesn't matter what equipment or uniform is provided, not everyone is going to be happy. So stop *****ing in anonymity like children on a forum. Be a professional and have a discussion with people that have knowledge.
    Be safe all

Steve Smith

Unregistered
    So Steve are you saying all the studies by licensed professional doctors about the load bearing vests being significantly better for your back and hips isn’t enough? I for one do not like the look of the putter vests I like the traditional uniform with the metal badge and brass but at some nights especially if I have to direct traffic for extended periods the back hip and “nut” pain is unbearable. For that reason alone I would be ok with the load bearing vests even though I hate the look

Unregistered
    Leave it to a SWAT guy to suggest that patrol just wants equipment traditionally issued to SWAT so they can look cool. Whatever bro. Way to offer one example for the tie column, though.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    It's the retired tool with the biggest mouth here. Thank you for thinking that my opinion carrys so much weight. I'm honored. But rest assured, I never give my opinion without facts, evidence and some personal experience (that stuff that most are lacking). Just to touch on one point in the previous post. You do NOT get more coverage in an outer carrier. How can you when your panels are the same? You have more material but not more protection. Just wanted correct that real quick. There are many many more reasons that the outer carrier isn't the end all be all. But feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss. Don't let your desire to look "tacticool" cloud your thought process. Bike guys have a special purpose/ need and that is why they are part of their uniform. Still don't care for the carriers but not my call.
    I had so much more I wanted to say but I would hurt feelings and then all of the cowardly, anonymous responses would flow in and that doesn't accomplish much. Bottom line is, it doesn't matter what equipment or uniform is provided, not everyone is going to be happy. So stop *****ing in anonymity like children on a forum. Be a professional and have a discussion with people that have knowledge.
    Be safe all

Steve Smith
    We had our private discussion many years ago and I agreed not to throttle you if you’d just stop with the John Wayne tough guy routine. Sit back, relax, and enjoy retirement, “brother”!

Unregistered
    Curious to how the other agencies that currently wear them direct traffic with a traffic vest over it and how they get to their equipment which would now be under the traffic vest?

Secondly, I know there are studies that show a relief of pain and stress around the lower back, but now the weight is more distributed around the shoulders and upper spine. Are there any studies available that show how that will be impacted?

I’m not against them, I’m just curious to a few issues I can foresee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12