Over vest
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Over vest

Unregistered

Over vest

Currently in the hiring process and I was told that over vest are available. Do you have to pay for that out of pocket? Are you able to have “Molly” attachments on them?

Thank you

Unregistered
    It's not a molle vest, it has no load bearing capability so it's really pointless. molle loadbearing vests should be available with all the data about people wearing belts with so much gear on it and back issues. But I guess some one think they look to scary

Unregistered
    Not scary, just really unprofessional for a patrol deputy.

Unregistered
    Professionalism doesn't come from a class a uniform. Its how the person does their job. Your problem same person that wears long sleeves all year. Molle vests and ball hats should be available for patrol

Unregistered
    Same issue as tattoos. We are 30 years behind on technology and equipment in some areas. Other areas we are better. I dont see why a load bearing vest is "unprofessional" but a 350 lbs deputy with mustard stains on his shirt can get a pass.

Unregistered
    Your so right, let's have everyone all tatted up with vests, ballcaps and beards. That would be so sweet. Go work somewhere else you millenial loser. You will eventually ruin every ounce of tradition and professionalism here but it will still take a few more years.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not scary, just really unprofessional for a patrol deputy.
    Professionalism is in the Deputy. It’s how you walk, talk, stand and appear. You can wear a molle gear external vest and still not look like Delta Force or like crap. The days of a gun, mag pouch, radio and flashlight ring are long gone. Let’s look at what your have to carry, should carry and would like to carry:

Must Carry on Belt....
    Glock 21 - Largest .45 in production
    Glock 21 Mags (2) - Largest .45 mags made
    Taser (plus cartridge that extends across belt)
    COBAN Mic Pack
    Portable Radio
    Pair of Handcuffs
    Flashlight
    ASP Baton or other authorized baton
    Tourniquet
    Agency Cell Phone

Should Carry on Person..,,
    Narcan (Naloxone)
    CPR Mask/Shield (Proper one is big)
    Window Punch
    Knife and/or Multi-Tool
    Latex/Nitrile Gloves

Would like to Carry....
    Small Gunshot Wound Kit
    Extra pair of handcuffs
    Extra magazine
    Pouch for AR magazine if needed

This is not an exaggerated list. It is accurate as of the last few years. So you show me how all of that will fit on your gun belt and/or in uniform pockets. Gun belts get heavier with all of this equipment. After twenty-five to thirty years is it a wonder why you have back problems? You can’t possibly carry all of that gear. And any one of those items could become priceless during the right scenario.

We could get an external vest with approved pouches for what you want to move up off your belt and still wear the same exact uniform. In fact with the right placards we would be more identifiable, especially from behind. The uniform itself is fine or whatever. We don't need tactical pants and cool guy BDU’s. But we do need room to put things and we are running out of pockets and space on the belt. Unfortunately the people or person who makes this decision doesn’t carry all this shit everyday and if they do they are inside most of the time.

You want us to be ready for an active assailant and to move quick? Give us the equipment to have all that we need on us at all times. It seems to work for K9, HOME and VCTF. You want me taking an extra minute to grab some stuff during an active shooter or do you want me ready for a parade? This is reasonable and practical. And it’s becoming common practice across the country.

I can hear some of the brass laughing at this, saying we just want to be SWAT or whatever.

Let’s go worse case scenario, maybe not worse but bad. You respond to a large hotel for a drug call. You find an unresponsive person who was doing drugs. Pinpoint
    Pupils, shallow breathing, on conscious. Narcan from a pocket. Narcan in, no response (this happens often). You start CPR. You just happen to have the right CPR mask that hasn’t deteriorated from years of sitting in its pouch (CPR is done by deputies infrequently, but more often with OD’s). They start to respond, FD arrives you step back. At the same time you hear shots fired. An active assailant is roaming the courtyard capping guests. You call it in, sack up and go find him. You exchange gunfire and drop him. But you take a few rounds in the upper thigh. Blood is jetting out. You grab your tourniquet but it’s too much blood and it’s difficult to get it set up all the way up your own thigh and backup isn’t there yet (Do you really think FD is rushing over or moving to a staging spot out of the hot zone?). You grab quick clot from your gunshot wound kit and slap it on. Time is bought for your life.

Yes that’s pretty far fetched. It’s not likely to happen. But it could happen, just watch the news. Wouldn’t it be nice to have all of that on you? I bet if your life hung in the balance you would say hell yes.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Professionalism is in the Deputy. It’s how you walk, talk, stand and appear. You can wear a molle gear external vest and still not look like Delta Force or like crap. The days of a gun, mag pouch, radio and flashlight ring are long gone. Let’s look at what your have to carry, should carry and would like to carry:

Must Carry on Belt....
    Glock 21 - Largest .45 in production
    Glock 21 Mags (2) - Largest .45 mags made
    Taser (plus cartridge that extends across belt)
    COBAN Mic Pack
    Portable Radio
    Pair of Handcuffs
    Flashlight
    ASP Baton or other authorized baton
    Tourniquet
    Agency Cell Phone

Should Carry on Person..,,
    Narcan (Naloxone)
    CPR Mask/Shield (Proper one is big)
    Window Punch
    Knife and/or Multi-Tool
    Latex/Nitrile Gloves

Would like to Carry....
    Small Gunshot Wound Kit
    Extra pair of handcuffs
    Extra magazine
    Pouch for AR magazine if needed

This is not an exaggerated list. It is accurate as of the last few years. So you show me how all of that will fit on your gun belt and/or in uniform pockets. Gun belts get heavier with all of this equipment. After twenty-five to thirty years is it a wonder why you have back problems? You can’t possibly carry all of that gear. And any one of those items could become priceless during the right scenario.

We could get an external vest with approved pouches for what you want to move up off your belt and still wear the same exact uniform. In fact with the right placards we would be more identifiable, especially from behind. The uniform itself is fine or whatever. We don't need tactical pants and cool guy BDU’s. But we do need room to put things and we are running out of pockets and space on the belt. Unfortunately the people or person who makes this decision doesn’t carry all this shit everyday and if they do they are inside most of the time.

You want us to be ready for an active assailant and to move quick? Give us the equipment to have all that we need on us at all times. It seems to work for K9, HOME and VCTF. You want me taking an extra minute to grab some stuff during an active shooter or do you want me ready for a parade? This is reasonable and practical. And it’s becoming common practice across the country.

I can hear some of the brass laughing at this, saying we just want to be SWAT or whatever.

Let’s go worse case scenario, maybe not worse but bad. You respond to a large hotel for a drug call. You find an unresponsive person who was doing drugs. Pinpoint
    Pupils, shallow breathing, on conscious. Narcan from a pocket. Narcan in, no response (this happens often). You start CPR. You just happen to have the right CPR mask that hasn’t deteriorated from years of sitting in its pouch (CPR is done by deputies infrequently, but more often with OD’s). They start to respond, FD arrives you step back. At the same time you hear shots fired. An active assailant is roaming the courtyard capping guests. You call it in, sack up and go find him. You exchange gunfire and drop him. But you take a few rounds in the upper thigh. Blood is jetting out. You grab your tourniquet but it’s too much blood and it’s difficult to get it set up all the way up your own thigh and backup isn’t there yet (Do you really think FD is rushing over or moving to a staging spot out of the hot zone?). You grab quick clot from your gunshot wound kit and slap it on. Time is bought for your life.

Yes that’s pretty far fetched. It’s not likely to happen. But it could happen, just watch the news. Wouldn’t it be nice to have all of that on you? I bet if your life hung in the balance you would say hell yes.
    Have you considered tactical suspenders? Fireman wear them. Problem solved and you aren't running around looking like Jessie Ventura in "Predator".

Unregistered
    The belt was fine in the revolver days when all it held was a gun, radio and handcuffs. But today we are supposed to carry enough equipment to fill a backpack on our belts. It's insane. We need load bearing vests NOW!

Unregistered
    It's so funny that people that wore a white long sleeve shirt until the last possible day are ones that have issues with modern uniform practices. Guess what the 90s are over. It's called the future. jSO wears beards and ball caps, and they are a sheriff office.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast