Moran vs Skaggs - termination vs a 24 hour suspension - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Unregistered

I would hope for better

I would hope for better but the system is truly rigged. Compared to the municipalities the Sheriff is playing with a stacked deck and he knows it. Florida Statutes allow the Sheriff to be exempt from laws that the municipality law enforcement are allowed. If you work for Bob The Sheriff of The Year then you are subject to his every whim and punishment. He doesn't even have to adhere to an appeal. It's recommended and we know that Bob the Great is never going to change his mind. He either is for you or you perish. He is sort of like an emperor and this is his empire. Good luck if your a jail employee it's quite obvious you are disposal and law enforcement gets the breaks.

Unregistered
    Regardless of what Bob thinks, we are still a nation of laws which guarantee all people should be treated fairly and equally. The individuals who were fired for the same violations committed by Skaggs deserve fair, independent hearings, compensation for damages and reinstatements if they want their jobs back.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    The people who got fired and others did not get fair hearings like Sgt. Skaggs got. And appropriate punishments like Skaggs got. None of them appealed the sheriff's decisions for personal reasons but that does not make their terminations fair and just, as the evidence clearly shows.
    Riiiiggggghhhhhttt. Sounds like any other good defendant. I did not appeal and took my 10 years DOC because I was not guilty but did not appeal for “personal reasons.” Thats just fking stupid right there.

Unregistered
    Riiiiggggghhhhhttt. Sounds like any other good defendant. I did not appeal and took my 10 years DOC because I was not guilty but did not appeal for “personal reasons.” Thats just fking stupid right there.
    Even when criminal defendants go to court the judges have sentencing guidelines and precedents they have to go by when issuing sentences. The criminal defendants get treated more fairly than Bob treats his deputies who are accused of violating the General Orders.

Unregistered
    Even when criminal defendants go to court the judges have sentencing guidelines and precedents they have to go by when issuing sentences. The criminal defendants get treated more fairly than Bob treats his deputies who are accused of violating the General Orders.
    I don’t agree. I would say Bob is more involved in IA business than any other Sheriff before. If you look at all of the inquiries, only so many become referrals. And of all the referrals only so many become AID cases (many become line level that result in nothing more than paper). And of the actual AID cases only so many get the full zap. And few of those are terminations. Remove all the terminations for DUI and there are very few. But from what I have seen of those cases individually they got what they deserved within the options of the violation(s). The only one I ever disagreed with was the Edge/Finerran case. They got shafted. And Skaggs is fine, regardless of what some jack ass thinks he knows.

Unregistered
    I don’t agree. I would say Bob is more involved in IA business than any other Sheriff before. If you look at all of the inquiries, only so many become referrals. And of all the referrals only so many become AID cases (many become line level that result in nothing more than paper). And of the actual AID cases only so many get the full zap. And few of those are terminations. Remove all the terminations for DUI and there are very few. But from what I have seen of those cases individually they got what they deserved within the options of the violation(s). The only one I ever disagreed with was the Edge/Finerran case. They got shafted. And Skaggs is fine, regardless of what some jack ass thinks he knows.
    In case you have not seen the Skaggs video let me give you a quick rundown. That night Sgt. Skaggs walked up to one of the suspects who was face down on the ground waiting to be handcuffed and applied one kick to the left side of his torso. Then Sgt. Skaggs failed to document the use of force (battery). He received a reprimand consisting of a 24 hour suspension and a lateral transfer. If Skaggs "is fine' according to your thinking than the deputies who also committed battery on suspects/inmates, and in some cases attempted to cover up their actions, should be fine as well and should have received the same reprimands as Skaggs. The only problem is that these other deputies were fired or forced to resign and did not deserve what they got.

Unregistered
    Let's not forget the three pursuits that Skaggs was told repeatedly to stand down on and he kept going anyway. Four people died from those. Skaggs was never disciplined for those either. How many people has Bob disciplined for pursuit policies where people didn't even die? But not Howie.

Unregistered
    In case you have not seen the Skaggs video let me give you a quick rundown. That night Sgt. Skaggs walked up to one of the suspects who was face down on the ground waiting to be handcuffed and applied one kick to the left side of his torso. Then Sgt. Skaggs failed to document the use of force (battery). He received a reprimand consisting of a 24 hour suspension and a lateral transfer. If Skaggs "is fine' according to your thinking than the deputies who also committed battery on suspects/inmates, and in some cases attempted to cover up their actions, should be fine as well and should have received the same reprimands as Skaggs. The only problem is that these other deputies were fired or forced to resign and did not deserve what they got.
    That’s your opinion. I’m with it. Dealing with animals in the wild versus animals in a zoo is different. Sorry, no problem with Howie. I’m sure you’re leaving some detail out, but whatever. We aren’t camp counselors and we don’t deal with Boy Scouts. My usual challenge stands: go get certified, pin on a badge and sling a gun belt and tell me how easy it all is. That’s an open challenge with no expiration date. That gives you plenty of time to grow a brain, backbone and balls.

Unregistered
    That’s your opinion. I’m with it. Dealing with animals in the wild versus animals in a zoo is different. Sorry, no problem with Howie. I’m sure you’re leaving some detail out, but whatever. We aren’t camp counselors and we don’t deal with Boy Scouts. My usual challenge stands: go get certified, pin on a badge and sling a gun belt and tell me how easy it all is. That’s an open challenge with no expiration date. That gives you plenty of time to grow a brain, backbone and balls.
    And what the hell does ANY of that have to do with kicking someone for no valid reason? That's a rationalization. The definition of a rationalization is "exchanging a good reason for a real reason". You are good at that. Bob is too.

Unregistered
    "Howie"? Sounds like you are familiar with him. Try that defense in court to a judge and a jury and see where it goes. A prosecutor fresh out of law school would destroy you. Bottom line is the victim offered no resistance whatsoever yet Skaggs kicked him for no reason. That's called battery. Then he did not document the use of force. That's called a coverup which also got some people fired. Same scenario as Moran and others. Bob backed up Skaggs but fired the others or forced them to resign. They even got charged but Skaggs did not. You call that a fair application of the General Orders, the ones we are constantly reminded to follow in order to not get in trouble? Document everything and don't lie or try to cover up, that's what we are always told and trained to do. Then how do you explain the discrepancy in disciplinary actions? Because one was on the jail back dock while the other was lying face down compliant in the grass with several armed deputies around him, waiting to be handcuffed? Ever heard of the use of force continuum? Where does it say it's OK to strike someone who is not offering any resistance? Check with Training on that one in case you forgot.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast