Newer P.R. Resident

Newer P.R. Resident

So we have been living in Port Richey about 2 years now, and really love it...although the negative publicity about the mayor and acting mayor is concerning. How did these two clowns get elected in the first place?+63.

And we really enjoyed watching Pasco County on LivePD. It provided a good perspective on the types of crimes going on in the country. It's too bad they are no longer are part of LivePD.

One thing we've noticed in Port Richey is the drug problem. Being a small town, you tend to notice this more than in a larger city. This is the main thing that bothers me, because illegal drug usage brings other type of crimes.

I guess if I had a question to ask the Port Richey police it would be: What is the priority level of fighting the illegal drug problems in Port Richey?

I often see shady looking characters hanging around places most people wouldn't. Like behind the Speedway on 19 for instance. Plenty of times I have seen some strange activities going on there.

I'm sure there are other places they congregate to avoid the authorities.

If there is one thing I really want to see is the drug problem fixed. I know, good luck with that. But with a little help from us citizens, it might be a little easier for the police. Let's help them by reporting any suspicious activity. And I hope the police take these reports seriously.

Unregistered

Response

The police do take drug offenders seriously if you see it you need to call it in. If you think it’s just the City of Port Richey that has a drug problem you need to take a trip down to New Port Richey and holiday they are 10 times worse. Know that you are pretty safe within the city limits once you venture out it’s when you are not safe!

Unregistered
    Reality is the priority is very low. There is usually only one patrol officer on duty. PRPD has only one drug expert officer and no drug finding dogs. If you see drug activity report it to NPRPD or PSO they have the resources and special police to actually deal with issues. PRPD is a $2 million dollar burden on the tax payers.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Reality is the priority is very low. There is usually only one patrol officer on duty. PRPD has only one drug expert officer and no drug finding dogs. If you see drug activity report it to NPRPD or PSO they have the resources and special police to actually deal with issues. PRPD is a $2 million dollar burden on the tax payers.

This person obviously does not know what they are talking about. I don't even live in PR, but I am in there all the time as I have family that works there. I constantly see at least 3 officers working at a time on patrol. I will admit that I don't know about the drug expert officer, but I do know that their only dog did retire a while back. But it only takes a phone call to get a dog from the sheriff's office.

Plus, the budget for the police department is only about $1 million, not $2 million like the above poster stated. This has been reported in the paper a number of times due to people wanting to disband the department as well as the entire city.

I personally have observed the officers of the PRPD at work and think that they do an amazing job with the resources that they have. They work as a team and they work hand in hand with the community.

I will say that I have nothing to do with the City of Port Richey, their Police Department, nor any law enforcement agency in this area.

Unregistered
    Once again, you have no idea what you're talking about. The "drug expert" they mentioned has nothing to do with identifying or locating drugs. A Drug Recognition Expert is trained in identifying if vehicle operators are under the influence of drugs. There are constantly three officers on duty, and all neighboring agencies often rely on each other for coverage during busy times, K9s, etc. The agency does not currently have a K9, however surrounding agencies will send one to the scene if requested. And the "reality" is, narcotics are a tremendous focus for PRPD. Like the previous individual mentioned, compared to other areas, Port Richey isn't nearly as bad. That's not to belittle other agencies, because manpower is limited everywhere. The budget is NOT 2 million dollars, you moron. The individual above constantly posts disparaging comments in reference to PRPD at every opportunity. Im sure he or she is part of the group that have been on a mission forever to disband the police, and dissolve the city. Once again dummy, your band of clowns plans have been dismantled.

Unregistered
    You truly are a moron!