Pay Raise 2019 for Correctional Officers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Pay Raise 2019 for Correctional Officers

Any word that FDC is getting a raise this year?

Unregistered
    Only CPO's are getting a raise this year.

Unregistered
    With the cola reduction on every state employee,the 2500 raise will decrease to almost nothing over a period of time.screwed again.

Unregistered
    Retire as soon as you can

Unregistered
    Low pay and a no COLA pension. Amazing that anyone still applies for a job at FDC. Might as well work at Walmart or McDonald's, at least you don't have to deal with a-hole inmates all day long.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Low pay and a no COLA pension. Amazing that anyone still applies for a job at FDC. Might as well work at Walmart or McDonald's, at least you don't have to deal with a-hole inmates all day long.
    Walmart and McDonalds don't have a pension, only a 401k and there you have to deal with the a-hole public. Go to the SO if you can pass the poly

Unregistered
    Walmart and McDonalds don't have a pension, only a 401k and there you have to deal with the a-hole public. Go to the SO if you can pass the poly
    You can move up pretty fast if you have half a brain at either company and make more money than at FDC. Plus they have profit sharing and a 401k match for management. The management experience you gain will make you employable at many other companies should you chose to move. As for FDC, even the county jails don't like to hire state prison guards as jailers so good luck if you try to leave.

Unregistered

Question

You can move up pretty fast if you have half a brain at either company and make more money than at FDC. Plus they have profit sharing and a 401k match for management. The management experience you gain will make you employable at many other companies should you chose to move. As for FDC, even the county jails don't like to hire state prison guards as jailers so good luck if you try to leave.
    It actually seems easier to move up at FDC since there are many supervisory positions opening up everyday. And the job postings don't mention you need a certain amount of years of service to be eligible and apply. So someone who works as a CO for less than a year can make rank immediately to Sgt, Lt. and Capt. if you are willing to move and work at any Florida prison.

But usually those supervisory positions makes the same as someone who starts as a CO at a county jail.

I disagree about county jails sharing a bias towards state prison guards. They are already trained and certified. It saves the county jails time and money and start them working the cell blocks right away.

There was an article that the JJ was upset that the county jails kept poaching FDC for its CO's and wrote letters to stop hiring them.

Unregistered

Clerical Need Raises

What about Clerical? We need raises too! Everything is going up except our paychecks. I can barely pay bills and feed my child and myself. We do so much to keep the whole office running smoothly but are treated as less important than an offender most days!! We need more money. We cant keep new support staff due to little pay and they cant very well start a new clerical and give them more or the same as someone who has been with the department more than 5 or 10 years! The pay scale is awful. It needs to be looked at and we need people in office to look at the real Truth and Big picture

Unregistered
    It actually seems easier to move up at FDC since there are many supervisory positions opening up everyday. And the job postings don't mention you need a certain amount of years of service to be eligible and apply. So someone who works as a CO for less than a year can make rank immediately to Sgt, Lt. and Capt. if you are willing to move and work at any Florida prison.

But usually those supervisory positions makes the same as someone who starts as a CO at a county jail.

I disagree about county jails sharing a bias towards state prison guards. They are already trained and certified. It saves the county jails time and money and start them working the cell blocks right away.

There was an article that the JJ was upset that the county jails kept poaching FDC for its CO's and wrote letters to stop hiring them.
    I work for the largest county jail on the West Coast (borders the Gulf not the Bay - hint). We hired several FDC officers over the years but very few worked out. Most either got fired for various reasons or left under threat of termination. One female who claimed to be an FDC sergeant was a psych, which I determined from a 10 minute discussion with her. She slipped through the cracks or had connections and got hired. Anyway she ended up getting fired a few years later for being the "attack dog" of another former FDC sergeant, who also got fired. So the success rate of FDC officers at my jail has been rather low. Could be better elsewhere but not here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast