It's all about who you know and your political connections

Jeffrey L Smith (retired)

It's all about who you know and your political connections

I just watched the local news that reported 3 Tampa Police Officers (one a recent officer of the month recipient) were terminated for repeatedly turning off their body cameras and improperly disposing of small amounts of confiscated drugs. Terminating those officers was the right thing to do. However the hypocrisy still exists at TPD. Those officers were terminated for violations of TPD policies. No criminal charges were levied against them. You have a Deputy Chief at TPD Keith O'connor who as a rookie was arrested and terminated for DUI. The PBA Union gets him his job back due to a technicality that he was terminated prior to being adjudicated. During Keith O'connor's DUI arrest his future wife Mary Minton O'connor is arrested for disorderly intoxication, battery on a LEO and resisting arrest. She is also a rookie at the time and is also terminated. She gets her job back on the same technicality as Keith O'connor. Both criminals Keith and Mary Minton O'connor are fast tracked for promotion by then Chief Castor. Criminal Keith O'connor is currently a Deputy Police Chief at TPD sitting in judgement of other officers and his wife Crimimal Mary Minton O'connor retired as an Assistant Chief of police in 2018. It was rumored that Mary Minton O'connor's father was politically connected and that is why her and Keith recieved special treatment. Justice and accountability at TPD is based on who you know not what you do.

Unregistered
    Hey Jeff, Join us tonight for a meeting and a few drinks.

Signed, Sheriff Pruitt, Steve BLockhead, and Jack “Sam” Diaz.

Unregistered
    Jeff it doesn't matter what has happened in the past. Let's deal with the problem at hand. Illegal searches and seizures and then when it doesnt work out the way they wanted, they just dispose of the dope. While you are more than correct about the past, that doesn't mean that the three stooges shouldnt be fired for what they did. Dont confuse the two.

Unregistered
    And props to you Jeff for actually leaving your name and speaking your mind!

Unregistered
    You morons obviously know nothing about this case. Their was not ONE single illegal search and seizure wtf are you talking about. They failed to document the search in some cases and wind tested weed for CIVIL possession of marijuana. Before commenting please read the IA case watch the video Educate yourself or stfu.

Unregistered
    Fired is way too severe imo. I will bet they get their jobs back in arbitration. Did they deserve lengthy suspensions, yes; but fired no way.

Unregistered
    So your significant other is driving home when they get pulled over by some cop (doesnt matter the agency) who wants to search the car. Your significant other says no and they search it anyway. You are telling me that you would be okay with that cop getting suspended for violating YOUR significant other's civil rights? You would want them fired in that case but you are okay with a suspension becuase it is someone else's family. These aren't isolated incidents that now challenge the credibility of the entire department. Everyone wants Castor's head because of reclassifying reports, the same thing that every department is doing but you want to defend officers that violate the law. Kudos to Dugan for firing them and I hope they realize the embarrassment they brought on their father and step-father.

Unregistered
    I’ll say again read the IA file and watch the videos. You don’t know wtf your talking about

Unregistered
    I must say people commenting on here really haven’t see the file or any of the videos. Illegally searched huh??? Why didn’t they have sustained IA for illegal searches then? Just failing to document. They hear something and recklessly spread lies on this crappy website.