Sarasota deputies ordered to write more tickets

Senior Member LEO Affairs Lieutenant

Lightbulb Sarasota deputies ordered to write more tickets

Quote Originally Posted by “Lee Williams”
    Florida law prohibits agencies from setting quotas. However, in an email that was obtained by the Herald-Tribune, Sheriff’s Capt. Ryan Brown wrote to all patrol supervisors: “Our [ticket] productivity is way down.” Deputies were then ordered to “have a proactive attempt at traffic enforcement every day.”

Brown continued, “I look at the overall number, but it is up to you to look at individual deputies and encourage them [to write more tickets]. I do not want to call out individual deputies and their supervisors – but I will, if it gets to that point.”

Retired Deputy Steve Hall explained, “Deputies do not want to punish citizens [by writing mandatory tickets], but they have to write [a minimum number of] tickets [during each shift] to keep their jobs. Deputies [and the state statute] use the word ‘quota,’ but [senior] staff uses the word ‘goals’ [to circumvent state law].”

Chief Deputy Col. Kurt Hoffman said, “If you take his email in context — which I 100 percent support — he’s increasing productivity [by making deputies write more tickets].”

Many current deputies are angry about the memo.

Hoffman and Brown both said that writing traffic tickets reduces crime because...
    Full story:
    https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...e-more-tickets
    Journalism can never be silent: that is its greatest virtue and its greatest fault. It must speak, and speak immediately, while the echoes of wonder, the claims of triumph and the signs of horror are still in the air.

Unregistered
    https://www.mysuncoast.com/2019/05/0...re-man-dead-2/

1 - THANK GOD THESE LEOs ARE ALRIGHT!

2 - Posting this because it’s close to home.

Hope the chief’s in our area, TG included, see how in the blink of an eye any of us on the street can be harmed and any infinite number of ways, that listening to the troops concerns and having less but more sound policies is a better idea than having quantities of policies and how these things are so much more important than trivial and political things like military salutes and pretty uniforms and rigged promotions.

Get well soon sister!