Sarasota deputies ordered to write more tickets - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Mr. Williams I would encourage you to look into why the Sheriff does not have a security clearance so he can be briefed by members of the department that do.
    Due to the sensitive information that is being discussed, it seems that it would be nearly impossible for a reporter to delve into these kinds of national security issues because the feds are tight lipped.

This is very confusing to ask (with clarity), but here it is anyway:

QUESTION #1: Since Knight was denied a federal security clearance, is it legal for those who DO have a federal clearance to brief Knight on sensitive security issues that they have been briefed on? How can a deputy tactfully say NO to his employing sheriff?

QUESTION #2: Don't those that have federal security clearances have to sign a contract, stipulating that they will not release certain information? But then doesn't that put them in an odd political position, if they tell Sheriff Knight that they cannot give him that information? (think job security)

QUESTION #3: Is Knight being briefed by those who DO have federal security clearances, thus getting access to that information?

Due to the sensitive nature of this material, it is highly unlikely that the public will ever be privy to the facts of this odd case.

Unregistered
    Character and credibility are essential to leadership in any organization. In the case of law enforcement, they are critical attributes. Under Sheriff Monge, he exhibited good character and even though he was not a deputy he commanded respect. Luckily most of the people who were promoted under him followed into the Balkwill era. This was the beginning of the regression of the SSO due to Balkwill promoting his friends. Balkwill wasn't a man of great character but was credible in the SRO community. He made his mark by helping our SRO program become one of the best in the country. In the end, he regressed into a sad excuse for a Sheriff when he stole from the organization.

Finally, after Jeff Bell lost it and dropped out of the race Knight slipped in the back door. No one knew who he was because he had never worked at the SSO or was a Deputy Sheriff. He was accepted with open arms and was believed to be a needed change. After a few years, his poor decisions and inability to work with other agencies became apparent. This has become evident with his recent cancellation of the SRO program.

Now, the paper and the public are beginning to see the real character of Sheriff Knight. He is a poor leader with zero credibility amongst his people. His recent promotions show he has no moral compass and is willing to let people with poor character and no credibility into command positions. Unfortunately, the public has little access to this information. If given the opportunity we all should tell anyone who would listen about Sheriff Knight and his lack of leadership. He has built offices and bought equipment while eroding the very foundation of the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office. The people of Sarasota County deserve better.

Unregistered
    Wow the rambling.. I got lost after the first sentence. Typical. Same shitzzzz as alway. Disgruntled employee!

Unregistered
    Wow the rambling.. I got lost after the first sentence. Typical. Same shitzzzz as alway. Disgruntled employee!
    No you're only lost because you're drunk on the koolaid.

Unregistered
    Now, the paper and the public are beginning to see the real character of Sheriff Knight. He is a poor leader with zero credibility amongst his people. His recent promotions show he has no moral compass and is willing to let people with poor character and no credibility into command positions. Unfortunately, the public has little access to this information. If given the opportunity we all should tell anyone who would listen about Sheriff Knight and his lack of leadership. He has built offices and bought equipment while eroding the very foundation of the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office. The people of Sarasota County deserve better.
    At the Sarasota sheriffs office, the money is good and the equipment is new and the job is fun, but the current senior executive leadership has no moral compass. It’s all about fairness, integrity, respect and service. Words are powerful, but the agency does not exercise a basic moral compass — and the corruption and seedy behavior starts at the top. People jokingly call it a knightmare, but there is a lot of truth to that obvious assessment.

Unregistered
    No you're only lost because you're drunk on the koolaid.

I can come back to this site 12 months laters and it is the sammmme junk.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Williams View Post
    Florida law prohibits agencies from setting quotas. However, in an email that was obtained by the Herald-Tribune, Sheriff’s Capt. Ryan Brown wrote to all patrol supervisors: “Our [ticket] productivity is way down.” Deputies were then ordered to “have a proactive attempt at traffic enforcement every day.”

Brown continued, “I look at the overall number, but it is up to you to look at individual deputies and encourage them [to write more tickets]. I do not want to call out individual deputies and their supervisors – but I will, if it gets to that point.”

Retired Deputy Steve Hall explained, “Deputies do not want to punish citizens [by writing mandatory tickets], but they have to write [a minimum number of] tickets [during each shift] to keep their jobs. Deputies [and the state statute] use the word ‘quota,’ but [senior] staff uses the word ‘goals’ [to circumvent state law].”

Chief Deputy Col. Kurt Hoffman said, “If you take his email in context — which I 100 percent support — he’s increasing productivity [by making deputies write more tickets].”

Many current deputies are angry about the memo.

Hoffman and Brown both said that writing traffic tickets reduces crime because...

Full story:
    https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...e-more-tickets
    I wonder if printing out stats, making a pie chart, placing everyones charts in lineup and highlighting if you’re under the average amount of citations and pressuring you to go above the average is consodered a “quota.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12