Only 6 recruits for the Lateral Recruit Class??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Only 6 recruits for the Lateral Recruit Class??

Thought FHP would get more applicants for the 4 week LRC. Guess not.

Unregistered
    If they would get rid of being pepper sprayed, a lot more people would be applying. Nobody wants to get sprayed again for a payout.

Unregistered
    Pay cut*..............

Unregistered
    Are the recruits getting tased to?

Unregistered
    They don't get tased but they do get pepper sprayed. If you have been pepper sprayed twice before, it makes no sense to go through it again. Specially when you know the field and have more experience then the people that have done the highway alone ( no offense ). We know what the job entails, no need to go through the dumb shit to " test your heart " when you have went hands on multiple times in more dynamic situations than on the side of the road.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    They don't get tased but they do get pepper sprayed. If you have been pepper sprayed twice before, it makes no sense to go through it again. Specially when you know the field and have more experience then the people that have done the highway alone ( no offense ). We know what the job entails, no need to go through the dumb shit to " test your heart " when you have went hands on multiple times in more dynamic situations than on the side of the road.

Thats a good point actually. I'm sure they still want the recruits to do it the "FHP way" in many areas but yea, pepper spray seems a little too far. Then again, you may be getting some recruits from some small town in New Hampshire (or whatever state) and have never had to put hands on people....trust me they are out there.

Unregistered
    If you are such a tough guy with all that dynamic hands on experience, why would you be worried about a little peper spray?

Unregistered
    Thought FHP would get more applicants for the 4 week LRC. Guess not.
    Really hard to get applicants when the only thing you can offer is low pay and no step plan. Most certified LEO's are smart enough not to apply at FHP when they can make more working at a police department or a sheriff's office.

Also, they should axed the transitional and lateral recruit classes and send them straight to FTO because applicants don't want to go through training classes again.

Last but not least, FHP should be restricted to State Roads so they can concentrate on their intended mission, and that is to patrol the highways of this State, instead of being called to work parking lot crashes or do traffic enforcement in areas already patrolled by city and sheriff agencies.

Instead, they are the "TOT" patrol when a deputy or police officer are too scared to work on a crash and beg for a trooper to show up.

Unregistered
    If you are such a tough guy with all that dynamic hands on experience, why would you be worried about a little peper spray?
    OC affects everyone differently. I, for one, will completely shit the bed when getting sprayed. It 100% completely incapacitates me. I'll take the taser any day of the week, but if someone told me I had to get sprayed again, I'd take a hard pass. FHP would actually be a decent job if the State paid better and attracted more recruits. Running traffic and looking for dope all day sounds right up my alley, but from what I see, you guys are so understaffed, that the only things you really do is run from one crash to another out in the County. It's simply not worth it, and I wish the State would come through for you guys. Stay safe.

Unregistered
    I tried to encourage a lateral to come over only to be told that other agencies look at us as a second class agency. It hurt when he said it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast