Reserve 2 Deputies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Reserve 2 Deputies

Looking for insight on this job. The recruitment video looks interesting but is it accurate. How are Reserve 2 deputies perceived by full time officers? Are Reserve considered “real police” or just people they hire that want to look like a cop and work traffic details?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Looking for insight on this job. The recruitment video looks interesting but is it accurate. How are Reserve 2 deputies perceived by full time officers? Are Reserve considered “real police” or just people they hire that want to look like a cop and work traffic details?
    Too slammed, too shorthanded, and too micromanaged to even notice or care about reserves’s. Wrong site to ask something like that. Possible troll.

Unregistered
    Too slammed, too shorthanded, and too micromanaged to even notice or care about reserves’s. Wrong site to ask something like that. Possible troll.
    Too soft and too weak. Possible pu$$y.

Unregistered
    Too soft and too weak. Possible pu$$y.
    Exactly. They whine and moan about being short staffed, but in the same breath tell people to not work here. How dumb is that? Exhibit A of why they haven't been promoted or moved off patrol.

Unregistered
    You will have to take all you read here with a grain of salt. There are two polar opposing groups fighting it out on this forum over larger issues of staffing and leadership. I won’t argue right or wrong on either of their arguments but from my experience the R2 program is of great value to both the volunteer and the full timers. The program suffered under previous leadership but is on the path to recovery and while there are definitely some Deputies that don’t care for reserves, the mainstream opinion seems to be that they are happy to have support. A lot of it depends on the volunteer, if you are willing to stand alongside and pull your weight, you are a valued asset. Once you are done with the training, you can find those deputies that appreciate the program to ride with and the opinions of others aren’t as important. Press on with it if you have the desire.

Unregistered
    Worked for me. R2 in 1983, R1 in 1985, then full time in 1986. Retired in 2010. Good ride.

Unregistered
    Haven't seen an R2 deputy humping a zone with a deputy in forever. It would be nice though.
    I hear they like to fly in the helicopters as a spotter, and hang out with the marine unit working on their tans.

Unregistered
    Haven't seen an R2 deputy humping a zone with a deputy in forever. It would be nice though.
    I hear they like to fly in the helicopters as a spotter, and hang out with the marine unit working on their tans.
    I haven’t seen you humping a zone in a long time either. Hiding and sliming a zone yes, humping not so much.

Unregistered
    Their numbers have apparently dwindled from close to 200 a few years ago to 30-40 now. My guess would be that’s why you don’t see them. It looks like HCSO is trying to build them up again.

Unregistered
    Their numbers have apparently dwindled from close to 200 a few years ago to 30-40 now. My guess would be that’s why you don’t see them. It looks like HCSO is trying to build them up again.
    They've been pretty abused the last couple years. Many quit for that reason; In the end they ARE volunteers. Don't know if it's any better under the current regime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast