Hiring
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiring

Unregistered

Hiring

Are you hiring certified Law Enforcement? Yes, no, maybe?

Unregistered
    It’s great to see such enthusiasm from your department!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    It’s great to see such enthusiasm from your department!
    This place sucks go elsewhere

Unregistered
    This place sucks go elsewhere
    Please elaborate?

Unregistered
    Please elaborate?
    There is no step plan, you'll never reach top out pay, at best maybe the middle range. It's FRS retirement, so unless grandfathered in the old plan you'll do 30 years to reach full retirement. Medical plans keep getting worse and making employees pay more for them. Although call volume is actually pretty high compared to rural agencies and in-line with most urban ones, the type of calls you'll go to have little to do with traditional law enforcement work, and are more PR related. If you're good at being proactive, you can find things to get into, but depending on your supervisor you may be treated more like an annoyance than a good cop. Promotions have little to do with job knowledge and law knowledge, much more on how well you tow the company line. There are some good supervisors, but they are few. The old chief made things almost intolerable, loads of good cops left under his reign (some just wanted a bigger department, but most left because of how he ran things with no end in sight), the new chief is better but can't change the initial things I mentioned. You may like it here, who knows, some do, most don't.

Unregistered
    There is no step plan, you'll never reach top out pay, at best maybe the middle range. It's FRS retirement, so unless grandfathered in the old plan you'll do 30 years to reach full retirement. Medical plans keep getting worse and making employees pay more for them. Although call volume is actually pretty high compared to rural agencies and in-line with most urban ones, the type of calls you'll go to have little to do with traditional law enforcement work, and are more PR related. If you're good at being proactive, you can find things to get into, but depending on your supervisor you may be treated more like an annoyance than a good cop. Promotions have little to do with job knowledge and law knowledge, much more on how well you tow the company line. There are some good supervisors, but they are few. The old chief made things almost intolerable, loads of good cops left under his reign (some just wanted a bigger department, but most left because of how he ran things with no end in sight), the new chief is better but can't change the initial things I mentioned. You may like it here, who knows, some do, most don't.
    You are clueless.

Yes, no step raises. Raises are based on your annual performance review. Depending on your eval, you get 3%, 4%, or 5%.....every year. That adds up. Pay rate is in the top end of the Bay Area. Add in benefits, and no one compares.

There is an end of year bonus, too. Everyone got at least 5% or $2,500- whatever was more.

Insurance is the best in the business. I pay $140 a paycheck for an employee and a dependent. That's for health, vision, and dental.

There is a 3% (of your salary) match for the 457 plan.

You get $500 to use for fitness. Use it for gym membership, trainers, pay for races, etc.

You don't have a clue about the promotion system. The chief put together a committee who developed the policy. It's not perfect, it never is, but it is all done by an objective outside vendor.

"Some like it here, most don't." That's just stupid. Officers are clawing over each other to get here. No one leaves, except for retirement. I think one young officer recently left because he wanted more "action."

Unregistered
    There is no step plan, you'll never reach top out pay, at best maybe the middle range. It's FRS retirement, so unless grandfathered in the old plan you'll do 30 years to reach full retirement. Medical plans keep getting worse and making employees pay more for them. Although call volume is actuallYetty high compared to rural agencies and in-line with most urban ones, the type of calls you'll go to have little to do with traditional law enforcement work, and are more PR related. If you're good at being proactive, you can find things to get into, but depending on your supervisor you may be treated more like an annoyance than a good cop. Promotions have little to do with job knowledge and law knowledge, much more on how well you tow the company line. There are some good supervisors, but they are few. The old chief made things almost intolerable, loads of good cops left under his reign (some just wanted a bigger department, but most left because of how he ran things with no end in sight), the new chief is better but can't change the initial things I mentioned. You may like it here, who knows, some do, most don't.
    You are clueless. Most likely, because you haven't worked here in several years.

Let's go through your nonsense:

Step raises. Nope, we don't have them. We have better. We have annual raises based on your annual eval. If you do what you are supposed to do, 3.5% raise. A little better 4%. Rank at the top 5%. Most everyone gets 4%- every year.

There is an end of year bonus. Everyone got at least $2,500 or 5%, whichever was greater.

Everyone get a $500 health reimbursement. You can use it for gym membership, personal trainers, race fees, etc.

The HCAA matches 3% if your salary for your 457 contribution. (That's the same amount you pay into FRS.)

Health benefits are better than anyone in the Bay Area, if not the State. I pay $140 a paycheck for myself+1. $25 copay. That's for health, dental and vision. Beat that.

When you compare compensation packages, no agency in the Bay Are can touch TIAPD.

You don't have a clue about promotions,either. The new chief created a committee to come up with a new process. The COMMITTEE (read: the officers) came up with the process that uses an outside vendor. Not perfect, but no system is. In the last year, the chief promoted -from the inside- 1 captain, 2 lieutenants (and created 1 extra lt slot), 2 sergeants and 3 corporals (creating two more corporal slots)

In the last two years, one person has left because he wanted a different type of policing. A couple were run off by the new chief, including a bully captain. People are lined up out the door to work here. Well qualified officers don't get hired because there are so many applicants.

Unregistered
    You are clueless. Most likely, because you haven't worked here in several years.

Let's go through your nonsense:

Step raises. Nope, we don't have them. We have better. We have annual raises based on your annual eval. If you do what you are supposed to do, 3.5% raise. A little better 4%. Rank at the top 5%. Most everyone gets 4%- every year.

There is an end of year bonus. Everyone got at least $2,500 or 5%, whichever was greater.

Everyone get a $500 health reimbursement. You can use it for gym membership, personal trainers, race fees, etc.

The HCAA matches 3% if your salary for your 457 contribution. (That's the same amount you pay into FRS.)

Health benefits are better than anyone in the Bay Area, if not the State. I pay $140 a paycheck for myself+1. $25 copay. That's for health, dental and vision. Beat that.

When you compare compensation packages, no agency in the Bay Are can touch TIAPD.

You don't have a clue about promotions,either. The new chief created a committee to come up with a new process. The COMMITTEE (read: the officers) came up with the process that uses an outside vendor. Not perfect, but no system is. In the last year, the chief promoted -from the inside- 1 captain, 2 lieutenants (and created 1 extra lt slot), 2 sergeants and 3 corporals (creating two more corporal slots)

In the last two years, one person has left because he wanted a different type of policing. A couple were run off by the new chief, including a bully captain. People are lined up out the door to work here. Well qualified officers don't get hired because there are so many applicants.
    If you think a merit pay plan is better than a step plan then you are the one thats clueless. You're drinking the kool-aid that HR sold this place back in the 90's.

People are not "lined up out the door to work here," thats another false statement. I don't know what your comparison is, if its the VA police or Port Richey, then ok maybe, if you compare to the other agencies in our county or Pinellas you're dead wrong.

Unregistered
    If you think a merit pay plan is better than a step plan then you are the one thats clueless. You're drinking the kool-aid that HR sold this place back in the 90's.

People are not "lined up out the door to work here," thats another false statement. I don't know what your comparison is, if its the VA police or Port Richey, then ok maybe, if you compare to the other agencies in our county or Pinellas you're dead wrong.
    Sure, Sporto. A 3.5 - 4% raise every year is bad. I mean, if you are a lazy funk who relies on the union to take care of you, I guess I see your point.

Since you are so smart, tell us how many people applied for the current openings?

Unregistered

How do you apply?

I’ve looked at the TIA Police site to apply for an officer position but don’t see a link.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast