No one to answer calls
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

No one to answer calls

D1 got their assses handed to them today. Shiitt hit the fan, and there were no deputies left to handle calls. How are we going to fix this? Don’t tell me about hiring new deputies. That shiitt takes WAY too long, and we are losing almost as many deputies every month, as we are hiring, even with the larger number of hires.

Since we have more than enough deputies to fully handle the shooting at Armenia Gables, the Deputy involved shooting on Gregory Dr. AND — did you catch that? “AND” — handle all the calls for service, all at the same time, why won’t you put more of the hundreds of deputies we already have back on the road?

Anybody with half a brain who wants to commit mass destruction will wait for a day like today to happen, when no deputies are left, and wont be X8 for several hours, to begin their rampage. Just Sayin’

Not to mention all the non law enforcement calls we answer, which we should be saying “no, that’s not a law enforcement issue we’re not going” to. Collectively, we spend an exorbitant amount of time responding to calls we have no business responding to. Throw that into the mix of today’s events, and those who truly need us have to wait even longer.

The other day, we had 3 (three) deputies filling 8 zone slots in the morning. When the afternoon deputy logged on, we had 4 (four) deputies filling the 12 zone slots. There are 4 zones on that squad. For each zone there’s a 0600 slot, a 0700 slot, and a 1300 slot. 8 of these slots were unfilled.

Year after year, decade after decade, the citizens of Hillsborough County have had to deal with this almost non-existent coverage. And they’ve been given the same promises… “we’re hiring more deputies.” Well today blew the fuucck uup. The citizens were one incident away from total chaos.

To all our leaders, I’m pulling for you, I really am. Time to step up and LEAD. We’ve not had this type of leadership this century. You can be the man or the woman, and today can be the impetus for change. Today can be the pinnacle of your leadership. We’re all pulling you!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    D1 got their assses handed to them today. Shiitt hit the fan, and there were no deputies left to handle calls. How are we going to fix this? Don’t tell me about hiring new deputies. That shiitt takes WAY too long, and we are losing almost as many deputies every month, as we are hiring, even with the larger number of hires.

Since we have more than enough deputies to fully handle the shooting at Armenia Gables, the Deputy involved shooting on Gregory Dr. AND — did you catch that? “AND” — handle all the calls for service, all at the same time, why won’t you put more of the hundreds of deputies we already have back on the road?

Anybody with half a brain who wants to commit mass destruction will wait for a day like today to happen, when no deputies are left, and wont be X8 for several hours, to begin their rampage. Just Sayin’

Not to mention all the non law enforcement calls we answer, which we should be saying “no, that’s not a law enforcement issue we’re not going” to. Collectively, we spend an exorbitant amount of time responding to calls we have no business responding to. Throw that into the mix of today’s events, and those who truly need us have to wait even longer.

The other day, we had 3 (three) deputies filling 8 zone slots in the morning. When the afternoon deputy logged on, we had 4 (four) deputies filling the 12 zone slots. There are 4 zones on that squad. For each zone there’s a 0600 slot, a 0700 slot, and a 1300 slot. 8 of these slots were unfilled.

Year after year, decade after decade, the citizens of Hillsborough County have had to deal with this almost non-existent coverage. And they’ve been given the same promises… “we’re hiring more deputies.” Well today blew the fuucck uup. The citizens were one incident away from total chaos.

To all our leaders, I’m pulling for you, I really am. Time to step up and LEAD. We’ve not had this type of leadership this century. You can be the man or the woman, and today can be the impetus for change. Today can be the pinnacle of your leadership. We’re all pulling you!
    Damn good post! Great thread! This agency is 170 years old and they still have not figured out the most important core of enforcing the law... Show of force and manpower. NOT AFTER THE FACT, but all the time! Not just for the safety of the citizens, but the mental health of the deputies and the sustainability of the job. This is where mental health issues for officers originate. Over exposure due to negligence.

We have too many non essential arm chair desk jockeys in offices that have no idea what goes on and not enough coos on the street. Time to grow up HCSO.

Unregistered
    Coo coo coo coo coo, you can have those five

Unregistered
    The Sheriff has made excellent progress on filling our vacancies and getting more deputies on the street, but it doesn't just happen over night. Any person with half a brain knows you can't cherry-pick one bad day and use it as an example of poor staffing. An officer involved shooting and a second shooting in the same district at roughly the same exact time would have a significant effect on any law enforcement agency aside from the huge metro departments.

It's hard to make the argument that there are too many sworn "office" positions and have it hold any water. I have an "office" detective position and I make more monthly arrests than many patrol deputies.

I've said for a long time that our current use of SCU is a waste of resources. There are patrol squads who have better stats and more arrests than the SCU squad for their districts, which should be embarrassing for SCU. I would better utilize SCU and put them to work, or put them all back on the street taking calls. SCU is now trying to be surveillance squads, which is not their function. Make ILP get out of their offices and do surveillance. Maybe beef them up with 2-3 more SCU personnel (promote them to ILP) and send the rest back to patrol.

When large-scale incidents happens like the two D1 shootings referenced in this thread, then start pulling all the non-patrol resources to come and block roads to free up patrol. CRD, SCU, Motors, AI's, DUI, Ag, Parks, etc....

Unregistered
    The Sheriff has made excellent progress on filling our vacancies and getting more deputies on the street, but it doesn't just happen over night. Any person with half a brain knows you can't cherry-pick one bad day and use it as an example of poor staffing. An officer involved shooting and a second shooting in the same district at roughly the same exact time would have a significant effect on any law enforcement agency aside from the huge metro departments.

It's hard to make the argument that there are too many sworn "office" positions and have it hold any water. I have an "office" detective position and I make more monthly arrests than many patrol deputies.

I've said for a long time that our current use of SCU is a waste of resources. There are patrol squads who have better stats and more arrests than the SCU squad for their districts, which should be embarrassing for SCU. I would better utilize SCU and put them to work, or put them all back on the street taking calls. SCU is now trying to be surveillance squads, which is not their function. Make ILP get out of their offices and do surveillance. Maybe beef them up with 2-3 more SCU personnel (promote them to ILP) and send the rest back to patrol.

When large-scale incidents happens like the two D1 shootings referenced in this thread, then start pulling all the non-patrol resources to come and block roads to free up patrol. CRD, SCU, Motors, AI's, DUI, Ag, Parks, etc....

This is not cherrypicking one day. Most days are like this with no one x8 to answer calls. On any random afternoon, at any random time, run a random squad status and see how many patrol units are x8. Whether it be high profile calls like an officer involved shooting and a murder, or non-news worthy calls like Child abuse investigations and shoplifting with jaap or apad, these calls take a great deal of time to do everything we are required to do. Deputies on these calls are not coming x8 anytime soon. When 3 of these go out at the same time (like most afternoons) there's no patrol deputies left to answer calls. It's just a matter of time, and any civil attorney will have a field day when they read this site, or do depos of our patrol deputies.

Unregistered
    This is not cherrypicking one day. Most days are like this with no one x8 to answer calls. On any random afternoon, at any random time, run a random squad status and see how many patrol units are x8. Whether it be high profile calls like an officer involved shooting and a murder, or non-news worthy calls like Child abuse investigations and shoplifting with jaap or apad, these calls take a great deal of time to do everything we are required to do. Deputies on these calls are not coming x8 anytime soon. When 3 of these go out at the same time (like most afternoons) there's no patrol deputies left to answer calls. It's just a matter of time, and any civil attorney will have a field day when they read this site, or do depos of our patrol deputies.
    Yep. And, it’s really sad when we have more interns/ride-a-longs show up for work than patrol deputies.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
    yep. And, it’s really sad when we have more interns/ride-a-longs show up for work than patrol deputies.
    lol....so true....!

Unregistered
    The question is how long can officers mentally sustain that environment? For 30 years? Shorts staffed and over exposed cops are the core of PTSD and the mental breaks we have been seeing. Unless you are connected and pulled from the streets to spare you, this is your fate.

Unregistered

Unregistered
    The question is how long can officers mentally sustain that environment? For 30 years? Shorts staffed and over exposed cops are the core of PTSD and the mental breaks we have been seeing. Unless you are connected and pulled from the streets to spare you, this is your fate.
    Good point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast