Please have others six

Unregistered

Please have others six

I worked at HCSO for 12 years & left in 2008 under less than ideal circumstances. Regrets? A few. But the friendships gained are lifetime, and the experiences (even the hairy ones) brought us closer. I stay in touch with many friends at HCSO and know there are still "challenges". Those challenges will ALWAYS be there & will likely get worse because the agency is growing & evolving. Today I read the PCSO Deputy that took her life was the 37th LEO to do so since January 1st. IMO this is now an epidemic & crisis. HCSO may never be a "family" organization, but your Squad members should be your family. In today's environment you can't go bar hopping together, and the competitive atmosphere creates cops turning in other cops. You don't have many 'outlets' these days, but you SHOULD have each other. When someone says "watch my six" it's NOT just for a building search or tactical issues. Watch your zone/squad members six by giving a damn about them personally. You are ALL in this together and ultimately all of you determine what kind of organization HCSO is....not the Sheriff, command staff, etc.. You make the gears turn & the pistons fire. Make a commitment to not let one more Deputy die at their own hands. Be a great teammate and lift your squad members up.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I worked at HCSO for 12 years & left in 2008 under less than ideal circumstances. Regrets? A few. But the friendships gained are lifetime, and the experiences (even the hairy ones) brought us closer. I stay in touch with many friends at HCSO and know there are still "challenges". Those challenges will ALWAYS be there & will likely get worse because the agency is growing & evolving. Today I read the PCSO Deputy that took her life was the 37th LEO to do so since January 1st. IMO this is now an epidemic & crisis. HCSO may never be a "family" organization, but your Squad members should be your family. In today's environment you can't go bar hopping together, and the competitive atmosphere creates cops turning in other cops. You don't have many 'outlets' these days, but you SHOULD have each other. When someone says "watch my six" it's NOT just for a building search or tactical issues. Watch your zone/squad members six by giving a damn about them personally. You are ALL in this together and ultimately all of you determine what kind of organization HCSO is....not the Sheriff, command staff, etc.. You make the gears turn & the pistons fire. Make a commitment to not let one more Deputy die at their own hands. Be a great teammate and lift your squad members up.
    Great advice but that era has long passed. The office now is mainly made up of kool aid drinking millennials and knee paders from the way back! No one trust anyone and will dime each other out and/or throw each other under the bus to get promoted or save their skin! A climate of fear and mistrust is the culture of the Sheriff’s Office these days!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Great advice but that era has long passed. The office now is mainly made up of kool aid drinking millennials and knee paders from the way back! No one trust anyone and will dime each other out and/or throw each other under the bus to get promoted or save their skin! A climate of fear and mistrust is the culture of the Sheriff’s Office these days!
    Yeah man. This is true. If you left in 2008, then the very tail end of your career overlapped with the first 3 years, or so, of the massive crumbling of moral here. You have no idea what its like now. Do you see how big this county has grown? The tax money is flooding in. Well, there are not that many more of us on the streets as years ago to handle the influx. Burnout is rampant. They even got rid of the mid shift. However, there are more departments, divisions, and many more captains, majors, and cushy spots for the special ones. Basically more people in offices. Being a team, a family, watching our backs, being in this together, and so on.., are long long gone. Just like everything else now, the era of everything being disposable has wormed its way into law enforcement. Use it, wear it out, thow it away, replace it. Same with us non connected ones. The brass sees a brand new deputy as no different than a seasoned experienced officer. We are just bodies, so losing a seasoned officer and replaced with a new one means nothing. In fact, it saves money. This is one of the only careers where mastery means absolutly NOTHING. Even a mechanic or plumber can master that job and use it to start a business or something. When people master positions, they get noticed and promoted. Here you only get noticed when you screw up, so negative feedback also runs rampant. If you are a great cop and do well, you disappear. What value does a good cop have? Become a security guard. Here, once all used up and you mentally break or get hurt, you are a labled as a slug, abusing the system, no longer having the heart, you name it. No matter what your accomplishments, you have no value here. Like an old tire, there is a warehouse full ready to replace you. Thats why I tell the young ones to find a career where your training, knowledge, and skills will be valued and not easily replaced. Where your title and certificate belongs to you and you can take it with you if you resigned. For many of us here that started when things were good, the pre Gee and Docobo era, we are in it to deep to leave. Hopefully our mental and physical health hold up and hopefully we dont get made examples if and discarded. Even if it can be fixed, it will take a decade minimum.