Police unions and administrations - checks and balances
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Police unions and administrations - checks and balances

I came here from an agency located in a North-Eastern state. In that region police unions are strong and they act as a checks and balances counterweight to the often corrupt and politicized administrations. It's not a perfect system by any stretch but at least there is some balance of power and also some support for the police officers to prevent them from being abused by such administrations. From what I have seen that is not the case here, where the sheriff can do whatever he wants and the union is powerless to fight for the deputies or keep him his absolute power in check. Also the voters often do not get the full story because the sheriff has a tight control over media releases so the local media gets the story the sheriff wants the public to hear in order to further his own political career. This makes it easier for the sheriff to get re-elected even though he may not deserve to be. This kind of agency environment is not the best for the deputies because they have no protection from the administration and can be subject to all sorts of punitive harassment and abuse.

Unregistered
    You just figured this out?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I came here from an agency located in a North-Eastern state. In that region police unions are strong and they act as a checks and balances counterweight to the often corrupt and politicized administrations. It's not a perfect system by any stretch but at least there is some balance of power and also some support for the police officers to prevent them from being abused by such administrations. From what I have seen that is not the case here, where the sheriff can do whatever he wants and the union is powerless to fight for the deputies or keep him his absolute power in check. Also the voters often do not get the full story because the sheriff has a tight control over media releases so the local media gets the story the sheriff wants the public to hear in order to further his own political career. This makes it easier for the sheriff to get re-elected even though he may not deserve to be. This kind of agency environment is not the best for the deputies because they have no protection from the administration and can be subject to all sorts of punitive harassment and abuse.
    Then go back d-bag

Unregistered
    You’re an idiot. Go back north. Of course Florida Sheriffs are powerful and that ain’t changing. What is that absolute power abuse you are worried about. Did you get a Leve 5 already or are you just reading the crap on here too much?

Unregistered
    From the negative replies so far it becomes clear that you guys either like the current system or are resigned to go along to get along. At least the cops and the unions up in the Northeast have some balls.

Unregistered
    And Krohn is in bed with the sheriff, so don't trust a word he says

Unregistered
    From the negative replies so far it becomes clear that you guys either like the current system or are resigned to go along to get along. At least the cops and the unions up in the Northeast have some balls.
    Current system is good and ain’t gonna change. Sheriffs in Florida are Kings and that ain’t gonna change. It works okay for us. Our sheriff is good and fixed our pay and benefits. I get if you are in the Level 5 Club then he may jam you but if you do your job and dont get into trouble there nothing wrong here and nothin to get your panties in a wad about. Unions suck too and if you dont think the corrupt union bosses aren’t in to for themselves then you are an idiot. Unions look out for the union not the rank and file. NE cops got no balls. They are owned by the union boss. GO BACK if its that great. BYE!

Unregistered
    Current system is good and ain’t gonna change. Sheriffs in Florida are Kings and that ain’t gonna change. It works okay for us. Our sheriff is good and fixed our pay and benefits. I get if you are in the Level 5 Club then he may jam you but if you do your job and dont get into trouble there nothing wrong here and nothin to get your panties in a wad about. Unions suck too and if you dont think the corrupt union bosses aren’t in to for themselves then you are an idiot. Unions look out for the union not the rank and file. NE cops got no balls. They are owned by the union boss. GO BACK if its that great. BYE!
    Having worked in both systems I can tell you without reservation that the strong union system is superior to the dictatorship system with no checks and balances. The unions up there provide real representation so you don't go without pay steps and raises for years and years like it happened down here. Furthermore the sheriff or chief of police cannot steamroll over you if he feels like it or if the weak union lawyer is in bed with him and will not fight for you.

That is the difference my friend but you will never see the light because you have been co-opted by the sheriff, lured with promises of promotions or you are a member of the brass. What you don't get is that the command staff and the line deputies have an adversarial relationship due to inherent conflicts of interests, just like in the private sector. Workers formed unions in order to bring some balance to the negotiation process and protect their rights from a system that was heavily tilted in favor of the employers and management. The unions succeeded and laws were passed to protect the rights of the workers but unions are still useful in situations such as police work to prevent the management from having absolute power to trample on their rights.

Unregistered
    "Absolute power corrupts absolutely!"

Unregistered
    Having worked in both systems I can tell you without reservation that the strong union system is superior to the dictatorship system with no checks and balances. The unions up there provide real representation so you don't go without pay steps and raises for years and years like it happened down here. Furthermore the sheriff or chief of police cannot steamroll over you if he feels like it or if the weak union lawyer is in bed with him and will not fight for you.

That is the difference my friend but you will never see the light because you have been co-opted by the sheriff, lured with promises of promotions or you are a member of the brass. What you don't get is that the command staff and the line deputies have an adversarial relationship due to inherent conflicts of interests, just like in the private sector. Workers formed unions in order to bring some balance to the negotiation process and protect their rights from a system that was heavily tilted in favor of the employers and management. The unions succeeded and laws were passed to protect the rights of the workers but unions are still useful in situations such as police work to prevent the management from having absolute power to trample on their rights.
    GO back where you came from!!!! We go no issues here. Pot stirrer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast