MSD Anniversary - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MSD Anniversary

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Scott Israel failed all of our kids. Scott Israel failed us, thereby, via leadership, we failed you. Israel has been suspended and when his suspension is made permanent, the yoke will be completely removed from this agency.

While some of us failed our own kids, I must ask this, did you guys really not know about PROMISE and how our Civil Citations worked until February 2018? Truthfully? It's policy. We were always aware of its existence. Since January 2013 it was implied until it became mandatory. Didn't you get memos? Emails? Texts? P/T meetings? Notes home? Assemblies? SRO announcements? Sheriff's many speeches on it? Place of worship sermons about it? Seriously? Please share your stories because I have parents that were completely unaware of this programs' existence including my own.
    Completely unaware until after MSD. No correspondence about PROMISE ever came home. Never saw the Sheriff at school ever. Rarely saw the SRO. Heard that there was a civil citation for possession of marijuana but that's it. The optics were that the SRO's were disinterested and that the school administration was corrupt and hid information from them. Had no idea that the deputies were following policy. Quite a wake up call. Shame on us for assuming that all was well.

Unregistered

Devil's Advocate

Completely unaware until after MSD. No correspondence about PROMISE ever came home. Never saw the Sheriff at school ever. Rarely saw the SRO. Heard that there was a civil citation for possession of marijuana but that's it. The optics were that the SRO's were disinterested and that the school administration was corrupt and hid information from them. Had no idea that the deputies were following policy. Quite a wake up call. Shame on us for assuming that all was well.
    Just weed huh? I'd like to break this up a bit.
    May I ask another question? And this goes to anyone with kids at any Broward school.

What if I were to tell you to your face that I hired deputies (and other staff) with less than exemplary records because we ALL have less than exemplary records and I believe in second chances?

And if anyone has a problem with that they can write till the ink runs dry or their keyboard breaks but as long as I’m in charge I WILL be giving second AND third chances to people who deserve it and that will continue and my critics can write or say whatever they want.

Unregistered
    Just weed huh? I'd like to break this up a bit.
    May I ask another question? And this goes to anyone with kids at any Broward school.

What if I were to tell you to your face that I hired deputies (and other staff) with less than exemplary records because we ALL have less than exemplary records and I believe in second chances?

And if anyone has a problem with that they can write till the ink runs dry or their keyboard breaks but as long as I’m in charge I WILL be giving second AND third chances to people who deserve it and that will continue and my critics can write or say whatever they want.
    Hey, that has Scott Israel written all over it!

Unregistered
    The very first time that most non-LE heard of the Promise Program was when Jeff bell was on Fox. At least that's the case in North Broward. It would make sense that the kids parents who were in trouble a lot would probably have been very familiar with it. The program, if you look at it, isn't what's so bad if you really look at what it was written to be. Had it been executed the way it was written, for non violent offenses, for the most part it could have been ok. But, being that this is Broward, like everything else it was used and abused and a catchall for all things bad. What will be revealed is that it was used as a moneymaker. The juveniles in the program were funding generators. The GJ will show that there was recklessness and negligence.

Unregistered

MSD & all SCHOOLS-you never sat through one of these assemblies at school?

The very first time that most non-LE heard of the Promise Program was when Jeff bell was on Fox. At least that's the case in North Broward. It would make sense that the kids parents who were in trouble a lot would probably have been very familiar with it. The program, if you look at it, isn't what's so bad if you really look at what it was written to be. Had it been executed the way it was written, for non violent offenses, for the most part it could have been ok. But, being that this is Broward, like everything else it was used and abused and a catchall for all things bad. What will be revealed is that it was used as a moneymaker. The juveniles in the program were funding generators. The GJ will show that there was recklessness and negligence.

If you heard about PROMISE at an assembly, would you walk out? If you heard a speech similar to the one below, would you embrace it? Would you ask questions? Where were the parents and teachers? Where were the whistle-blowing students (i.e., David Hoggs of the world)?

Society should give you and me second chances that is why I invented the Civil Citation program that I openly campaigned on in 2012 and touted for the past 6 years.

I brought it with me to BSO on Day 1 but I didn’t like the way the deputies were implementing my program. They were using their own judgement, treating each “child” as individuals and each “crime” as individual offenses. While I do not engage the community on a "street level" like my "street level" deputies do, I believe that all “children” 17 and under and all misdemeanor crimes are equal and are usually not the fault of the child but society’s fault, and since most of my deputies are unaware of this and follow protocol, changes must be made in my Civil Citation brainchild.

My program stated that my deputies have the right to give or not give an offender a Civil Citation program ref when they are about to arrest a youngster 17 or younger for a misdemeanor...
    Citizens of Broward County, my deputies NO LONGER HAVE THAT RIGHT.
    Deputies NO LONGER HAVE THAT OPTION.
    To ensure like-mindedness, I have changed the wording in my Civil Citation policy to implement an even-playing field and I am proud to inform you there will be NO MORE ARRESTS MADE for crimes EVER, Civil Citations are now MANDATORY.

Unregistered
    If you heard about PROMISE at an assembly, would you walk out? If you heard a speech similar to the one below, would you embrace it? Would you ask questions? Where were the parents and teachers? Where were the whistle-blowing students (i.e., David Hoggs of the world)?

Society should give you and me second chances that is why I invented the Civil Citation program that I openly campaigned on in 2012 and touted for the past 6 years.

I brought it with me to BSO on Day 1 but I didn’t like the way the deputies were implementing my program. They were using their own judgement, treating each “child” as individuals and each “crime” as individual offenses. While I do not engage the community on a "street level" like my "street level" deputies do, I believe that all “children” 17 and under and all misdemeanor crimes are equal and are usually not the fault of the child but society’s fault, and since most of my deputies are unaware of this and follow protocol, changes must be made in my Civil Citation brainchild.

My program stated that my deputies have the right to give or not give an offender a Civil Citation program ref when they are about to arrest a youngster 17 or younger for a misdemeanor...
    Citizens of Broward County, my deputies NO LONGER HAVE THAT RIGHT.
    Deputies NO LONGER HAVE THAT OPTION.
    To ensure like-mindedness, I have changed the wording in my Civil Citation policy to implement an even-playing field and I am proud to inform you there will be NO MORE ARRESTS MADE for crimes EVER, Civil Citations are now MANDATORY.

You are absolutely right; and your postings are appreciated. This is case of " Well, this criminal stuff doesn't apply to us." Only parents whose kids were victimized in schools became familiar with juvenile leniency post- incident and had no recourse- including the retainer of an attorney. Local attorneys were right in line with the school and BSO with the exception of extremely egregious acts of violence that involved high profile media attention. Many yelled and screamed to the school board at public meetings, but it fell on deaf ears. There's was no way to really have this discussion with a responding deputy due to the body cameras and/or the understandable mistrust they have of the public. One thing is for sure though. The schools HID serious crime from BSO. The lack of public outrage of the rank and file toward the school administration is baffling. These folks left their schools wide open. They had no code red policy or any direction for the kids in an emergency. What happened was bad enough, but imagine in that chaos if deputies had been inside of 1200 trying to take out the shooter, with kids running in and out of the building, up and down the stairs and running up and down the hallways panicking. Please back the effort to remove Runcie and his accomplices who set the stage for this never ending nightmare.

Unregistered

Angry No Spin, Israel, Runcie, et al have blood on their hands

You are absolutely right; and your postings are appreciated. This is case of " Well, this criminal stuff doesn't apply to us." Only parents whose kids were victimized in schools became familiar with juvenile leniency post- incident and had no recourse- including the retainer of an attorney. Local attorneys were right in line with the school and BSO with the exception of extremely egregious acts of violence that involved high profile media attention. Many yelled and screamed to the school board at public meetings, but it fell on deaf ears. There's was no way to really have this discussion with a responding deputy due to the body cameras and/or the understandable mistrust they have of the public. One thing is for sure though. The schools HID serious crime from BSO. The lack of public outrage of the rank and file toward the school administration is baffling. These folks left their schools wide open. They had no code red policy or any direction for the kids in an emergency. What happened was bad enough, but imagine in that chaos if deputies had been inside of 1200 trying to take out the shooter, with kids running in and out of the building, up and down the stairs and running up and down the hallways panicking. Please back the effort to remove Runcie and his accomplices who set the stage for this never ending nightmare.
    I'm not super-familiar with MSD (the high-school itself or Parkland as its "own private Idaho") but using it for this scenario, if only the “naughty” kids (at MSD) and their parents knew about Civil Citations, then the majority of the decent kids and their parents had ZERO clue they were attending school with criminals of ALL degrees and multiple offenders.

Just focusing on MSD, basically, before 2/14/18, for five full years, all those children and staff were subjected to additional violence on top of the violators’ first offense. Even simple, repetitive and redundant and preventable peer-pressure, criminal behavior, sexual harassment, threats of and events of: violence, drug use, bullying, terrorism, and ultimately, death. What was MSD’s policy before 2013? Do you know? Do you want to know what mine is? It’s old school but it would have saved 17 lives. It’s called ZERO tolerance and I’ll wager 2/14/18 wouldn’t have happened and a slew of other egregious acts and crimes would have been nipped in the bud on their first offense.
    (Hindsight, probably HELPING the offending party too).

Unregistered
    it's hard to believe that any seasoned law enforcement commander after years of seeing violence in the community would ever conclude that the promise program would be a good move. you never really know what's in a persons heart but what would prompt a cop to think that it makes sense to teach kids that there are no consequences for criminal behavior and that ignoring dangerous individuals wouldn't eventually result in disaster. it would be naive to assume that cruz is the only threat after years of this bad practice. god bless the deputies who have had to walk away knowing that they were required to leave danger on the street. no wonder the bso has had morale problems.

Unregistered
    it's hard to believe that any seasoned law enforcement commander after years of seeing violence in the community would ever conclude that the promise program would be a good move. you never really know what's in a persons heart but what would prompt a cop to think that it makes sense to teach kids that there are no consequences for criminal behavior and that ignoring dangerous individuals wouldn't eventually result in disaster. it would be naive to assume that cruz is the only threat after years of this bad practice. god bless the deputies who have had to walk away knowing that they were required to leave danger on the street. no wonder the bso has had morale problems.
    Agreed. Promise Program is disastrous

Unregistered
    Hey, that has Scott Israel written all over it!
    Someone should send the transcripts and videos to the Senate. Or the Governor. I wouldn't send it to Pollack or Petty. I'd get pizzed!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast