My dream is to work at the Highlands Country
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Junior Member LEO Affairs Recruit

I've got 2 years experience in North Florida, but I am interested in relocating to South Florida. However, I'd like to live and work someplace with a manageable Cost of Living. Highlands seems to fit the bill. Is there anything I should be aware of before applying? Morale issues or anything? The Highlands boards is pretty quiet and the information I'm seeing is outdated. Thanks, folks, be careful out there.

Reference:
    explainer video

Unregistered

Read The latest

Deputies last year were recruiting but that seems to have stopped.

I would look around at pay in the central part of Florida. Highlands is low

Morale is low and seems to be slipping fast

Unregistered

Dream Job

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious but I have to be honest with you. This place is a sinking ship for anyone who is serious and cares about doing a good job. It's a good old boy system that takes care of those who donate to the Sheriff's election and rewards/protects certain classes of people. With 2 years, your pay will be squat and health insurance is absolutely through the roof. They put on a great image and maybe they have discovered the secret to polishing a turd.

Unregistered

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious but I have to be honest with you. This place is a sinking ship for anyone who is serious and cares about doing a good job. It's a good old boy system that takes care of those who donate to the Sheriff's election and rewards/protects certain classes of people. With 2 years, your pay will be squat and health insurance is absolutely through the roof. They put on a great image and maybe they have discovered the secret to polishing a turd.
    No agency will be perfect but I would rather not have to look over my shoulder for the knife in the back from the Chief Deputy than worrying about who eats lunch with the Sheriff or is deemed as part of the good old boy system. Our pay isn't really that bad when you look at the cost of living around here and the insurance is much better than it was many years ago (by about 30-40% for the family plan).

You sound like the kind of person who would complain about being fed with a gold spoon because it didn't have diamonds in it. If you are that miserable, feel free to go to Polk County or wherever you think the grass is greener. We will survive without you, as it sounds like you bring nothing but drama and complaints with you.

Unregistered

Dream

I'm sorry but I smell a SWAT boy or a lieutenant or above. Are you trying to tell me that you don't have to worry about the chief Deputy stabbing you in the back? That guy is a joke. Any place that condones and covers up crimes such as DUI hit-and-run like they do from a person who is on fto has no scruples. I will agree with you that at least we do have a step plan, but when you start off in the thirties that's not too great. Not being able to fill zones and having detectives come out and fill those kind of shows that nobody wants to work here. Do you really think they care about your safety when they don't fill zones? How would the public feel if they found out that they pay taxes and their zone doesn't even have a deputy in it? I don't want to work for pult County sometimes we are stuck in a place and there's no other option. But I get the sense that you don't mind bending over and taking it

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm sorry but I smell a SWAT boy or a lieutenant or above. Are you trying to tell me that you don't have to worry about the chief Deputy stabbing you in the back? That guy is a joke. Any place that condones and covers up crimes such as DUI hit-and-run like they do from a person who is on fto has no scruples. I will agree with you that at least we do have a step plan, but when you start off in the thirties that's not too great. Not being able to fill zones and having detectives come out and fill those kind of shows that nobody wants to work here. Do you really think they care about your safety when they don't fill zones? How would the public feel if they found out that they pay taxes and their zone doesn't even have a deputy in it? I don't want to work for pult County sometimes we are stuck in a place and there's no other option. But I get the sense that you don't mind bending over and taking it
    I am none of the above and I still don't sorry about being stabbed in the back by #2. Its easy to be like that when you come to work and do what you get paid for without causing a bunch of drama.

As far as the DUI cover up, she should have been arrested and fired, but that negligent retention lawsuit in the future won't have my name anywhere near it and others that can't say the same can worry about it for years to come.

Really? Issues with Detectives having to actually come out and work? Heaven forbid they have to come cover shifts. They would be lost if they they couldn't come in late from breakfast, take a two hour lunch and leave early, all while complaining about the Deputies doing a job they think they are too good for. Then again, many of them have little to no patrol experience and bailed first chance they got because shift work is too hard.

Even with all the negative you point out, it's still better than what we came from. When you find Utopia PD, please let us know when the grass turns brown.

Unregistered
    Highlands a dream agency? I’ve never heard that before.

How’s CALEA accreditation working out?

Unregistered

Exclamation sPaM SpAm spam SPAM

Quote Originally Posted by blaise84 View Post

I've got 2 years experience in North Florida, but I am interested in relocating to South Florida. However, I'd like to live and work someplace with a manageable Cost of Living. Highlands seems to fit the bill. Is there anything I should be aware of before applying? Morale issues or anything? The Highlands boards is pretty quiet and the information I'm seeing is outdated. Thanks, folks, be careful out there.

Reference:
    explainer video
    This is a spam advertisement for video sales. You are talking to a spammer. A spammer created this thread. LOL

Unregistered

Bad taste in your mouth

Seems these threads really bring out the nasty side of some our deputies. If you hate it here so much, why not leave to another agency? Or is it that you are stuck here? Stop your wining and get back to work.

Unregistered

Haha

If Deputies go somewhere else WHO will we get to replace them ???

Well if your not answering calls I guess it doesn’t matter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast