+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
 

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Unregistered
    Guest

    Post The Parkland shooting one year later: What's been done?

    https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...211-story.html

    Some fun facts-

    At the top, some leaders like Broward Sheriff Scott Israel lost their jobs because of mistakes they made, but others remain in place. The need for widespread accountability remains.

    Police response

    Hundreds of law enforcement officers swarmed the high school, but the first deputies on the scene stayed outside after hearing gunshots. Radios jammed, preventing officers from effectively communicating. And the chaotic scene lacked a strong central command. “I couldn’t transmit on the radio,” the ranking officer, Sheriff’s Office Capt. Jan Jordan, later told investigators. “I had tried several times.”

    911 COMMUNICATIONS:

    The outdated, failure-prone emergency radio system in Broward County still hasn’t been fixed, though Broward County commissioners have known of the troubles for years. The gravity of the problem became clear two years ago, when a gunman killed five people in a terminal at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. The problems repeated on Feb. 14 in Parkland. Broward County officials now say they might not get the system modernized this year.

    FIRST RESPONDERS:

    Before he was suspended from office, Broward Sheriff Scott Israel changed policy to direct that deputies “shall” immediately intervene to stop an active shooter and rescue victims. He had loosened the policy prior to the shooting to say that deputies “may” intervene — a decision that was widely second-guessed. Precious moments were lost. The policy was among the sheriff’s leadership flaws cited by Gov. DeSantis when he took office.

    Leadership

    Family members of the victims said it seemed one of the most preventable tragedies in history, yet because so many people didn’t do their jobs properly, the shooter faced no resistance. As months wore on, more and more people resigned or were fired.

    SHERIFF:

    Broward Sheriff Israel was removed from office by Gov. DeSantis in January for failures before, during and after the Parkland shooting. Israel is fighting the suspension. He was replaced by appointee Gregory Tony, a former Coral Springs police officer who owns Blue Spear Solutions, an active-shooter/mass casualty response company. Tony said he’ll run for the seat in 2020.

    Eight deputies heard gunfire at Stoneman Douglas but didn't rush in. Here are the consequences so far.

    SHERIFF’S CIRCLE:

    Sheriff Israel’s administration was dismantled after his suspension. Most of his command staff and allies in the Sheriff’s Office resigned or were fired. Sheriff Tony and his new undersheriff worked in the past for Coral Springs Police Department, whose officers were the first to rush into Stoneman Douglas to save children and teachers.

    DEPUTIES:

    Scot Peterson, the deputy assigned to Stoneman Douglas, resigned, vilified for failing to rush in to the 1200 Building to save lives. Two security officers criticized for their inaction that day were let go. Of eight deputies who heard gunshots but didn’t immediately enter the school, two retired, including Peterson; three had their badges taken away and are under investigation; and three were reassigned. Capt. Jordan resigned in November, after the MSD Commission criticized her performance at the scene.

  2. #2
    Unregistered
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...211-story.html

    Some fun facts-

    At the top, some leaders like Broward Sheriff Scott Israel lost their jobs because of mistakes they made, but others remain in place. The need for widespread accountability remains.

    Police response

    Hundreds of law enforcement officers swarmed the high school, but the first deputies on the scene stayed outside after hearing gunshots. Radios jammed, preventing officers from effectively communicating. And the chaotic scene lacked a strong central command. “I couldn’t transmit on the radio,” the ranking officer, Sheriff’s Office Capt. Jan Jordan, later told investigators. “I had tried several times.”

    911 COMMUNICATIONS:

    The outdated, failure-prone emergency radio system in Broward County still hasn’t been fixed, though Broward County commissioners have known of the troubles for years. The gravity of the problem became clear two years ago, when a gunman killed five people in a terminal at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. The problems repeated on Feb. 14 in Parkland. Broward County officials now say they might not get the system modernized this year.

    FIRST RESPONDERS:

    Before he was suspended from office, Broward Sheriff Scott Israel changed policy to direct that deputies “shall” immediately intervene to stop an active shooter and rescue victims. He had loosened the policy prior to the shooting to say that deputies “may” intervene — a decision that was widely second-guessed. Precious moments were lost. The policy was among the sheriff’s leadership flaws cited by Gov. DeSantis when he took office.

    Leadership

    Family members of the victims said it seemed one of the most preventable tragedies in history, yet because so many people didn’t do their jobs properly, the shooter faced no resistance. As months wore on, more and more people resigned or were fired.

    SHERIFF:

    Broward Sheriff Israel was removed from office by Gov. DeSantis in January for failures before, during and after the Parkland shooting. Israel is fighting the suspension. He was replaced by appointee Gregory Tony, a former Coral Springs police officer who owns Blue Spear Solutions, an active-shooter/mass casualty response company. Tony said he’ll run for the seat in 2020.

    Eight deputies heard gunfire at Stoneman Douglas but didn't rush in. Here are the consequences so far.

    SHERIFF’S CIRCLE:

    Sheriff Israel’s administration was dismantled after his suspension. Most of his command staff and allies in the Sheriff’s Office resigned or were fired. Sheriff Tony and his new undersheriff worked in the past for Coral Springs Police Department, whose officers were the first to rush into Stoneman Douglas to save children and teachers.

    DEPUTIES:

    Scot Peterson, the deputy assigned to Stoneman Douglas, resigned, vilified for failing to rush in to the 1200 Building to save lives. Two security officers criticized for their inaction that day were let go. Of eight deputies who heard gunshots but didn’t immediately enter the school, two retired, including Peterson; three had their badges taken away and are under investigation; and three were reassigned. Capt. Jordan resigned in November, after the MSD Commission criticized her performance at the scene.
    Go Away !!!!

  3. #3
    Unregistered
    Guest

    10-4 will do on 2-14

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Go Away !!!!
    https://www.politico.com/newsletters...ections-392269

    INVESTIGATION — A blockbuster Sun-Sentinel story on Tuesday exposed how Runcie and a majority of the school board wanted to protect bureaucratic turf by lobbying against a 2013 state legislative plan aimed at getting more security money. It was proposed after the slaughter of 26 children and adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut. The school board members and Runcie said the legislation wasn’t needed. And they touted their own security plans. But not enough happened. Then 17 were killed, and 17 more were wounded by a gunman at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. And then a state investigation found deficiencies in those very school security measures that Broward had promised in 2013 and that might have saved lives 364 days ago.

    2013? Hmmm

  4. #4
    Unregistered
    Guest
    Runcie is gearing up to blame BSO by citing that Step #2 of the discipline matrix puts all responsibility on the deputy and the respective district- and will deny that the SRD's were not informed of crimes. If you read it; technically it does. He's going to try to nail Israel to save himself. It's bound to get some people into a mess before they both destroy each other in the news. Plus the "chef" and his wife are reconsidering their position. They know it's "out"

  5. #5
    Unregistered
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Runcie is gearing up to blame BSO by citing that Step #2 of the discipline matrix puts all responsibility on the deputy and the respective district- and will deny that the SRD's were not informed of crimes. If you read it; technically it does. He's going to try to nail Israel to save himself. It's bound to get some people into a mess before they both destroy each other in the news. Plus the "chef" and his wife are reconsidering their position. They know it's "out"
    O-well, you know what they say, what's osgood for the goose is osgood for the gander.

  6. #6
    Unregistered
    Guest

    Uh-oh!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Runcie is gearing up to blame BSO by citing that Step #2 of the discipline matrix puts all responsibility on the deputy and the respective district- and will deny that the SRD's were not informed of crimes. If you read it; technically it does. He's going to try to nail Israel to save himself. It's bound to get some people into a mess before they both destroy each other in the news. Plus the "chef" and his wife are reconsidering their position. They know it's "out"

    https://www.trbas.com/media/media/ac...0-13112334.pdf

  7. #7
    Unregistered
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Runcie is gearing up to blame BSO by citing that Step #2 of the discipline matrix puts all responsibility on the deputy and the respective district- and will deny that the SRD's were not informed of crimes. If you read it; technically it does. He's going to try to nail Israel to save himself. It's bound to get some people into a mess before they both destroy each other in the news. Plus the "chef" and his wife are reconsidering their position. They know it's "out"
    Only if runcie has this golden ticket=

    https://www.browardschools.com/cms/l...obationary.pdf

  8. #8
    Unregistered
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Only if runcie has this golden ticket=

    https://www.browardschools.com/cms/l...obationary.pdf
    this does not apply for a felony. Those are the cases that are in question. It's the "discretionary" determination that will be in microscopic focus.

  9. #9
    Unregistered
    Guest

    Woke up to this---haha-we will NEVER be out of the NEWS

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...211-story.html

    Some fun facts-

    At the top, some leaders like Broward Sheriff Scott Israel lost their jobs because of mistakes they made, but others remain in place. The need for widespread accountability remains.

    Police response

    Hundreds of law enforcement officers swarmed the high school, but the first deputies on the scene stayed outside after hearing gunshots. Radios jammed, preventing officers from effectively communicating. And the chaotic scene lacked a strong central command. “I couldn’t transmit on the radio,” the ranking officer, Sheriff’s Office Capt. Jan Jordan, later told investigators. “I had tried several times.”

    911 COMMUNICATIONS:

    The outdated, failure-prone emergency radio system in Broward County still hasn’t been fixed, though Broward County commissioners have known of the troubles for years. The gravity of the problem became clear two years ago, when a gunman killed five people in a terminal at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. The problems repeated on Feb. 14 in Parkland. Broward County officials now say they might not get the system modernized this year.

    FIRST RESPONDERS:

    Before he was suspended from office, Broward Sheriff Scott Israel changed policy to direct that deputies “shall” immediately intervene to stop an active shooter and rescue victims. He had loosened the policy prior to the shooting to say that deputies “may” intervene — a decision that was widely second-guessed. Precious moments were lost. The policy was among the sheriff’s leadership flaws cited by Gov. DeSantis when he took office.

    Leadership

    Family members of the victims said it seemed one of the most preventable tragedies in history, yet because so many people didn’t do their jobs properly, the shooter faced no resistance. As months wore on, more and more people resigned or were fired.

    SHERIFF:

    Broward Sheriff Israel was removed from office by Gov. DeSantis in January for failures before, during and after the Parkland shooting. Israel is fighting the suspension. He was replaced by appointee Gregory Tony, a former Coral Springs police officer who owns Blue Spear Solutions, an active-shooter/mass casualty response company. Tony said he’ll run for the seat in 2020.

    Eight deputies heard gunfire at Stoneman Douglas but didn't rush in. Here are the consequences so far.

    SHERIFF’S CIRCLE:

    Sheriff Israel’s administration was dismantled after his suspension. Most of his command staff and allies in the Sheriff’s Office resigned or were fired. Sheriff Tony and his new undersheriff worked in the past for Coral Springs Police Department, whose officers were the first to rush into Stoneman Douglas to save children and teachers.

    DEPUTIES:

    Scot Peterson, the deputy assigned to Stoneman Douglas, resigned, vilified for failing to rush in to the 1200 Building to save lives. Two security officers criticized for their inaction that day were let go. Of eight deputies who heard gunshots but didn’t immediately enter the school, two retired, including Peterson; three had their badges taken away and are under investigation; and three were reassigned. Capt. Jordan resigned in November, after the MSD Commission criticized her performance at the scene.
    BSO needs to start winning!
    Someone please save a cat out of a tree or something to get on the news!
    Hahaha

  10. #10
    Unregistered
    Guest
    Well good thing bump stocks were banned. Yes, I know Cruz didn't use a bump stock, but so what. We are all much safer now. Carry on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •