MLK Way/Washington

Unregistered

MLK Way/Washington

Just curious if any of you patrol MLK Way/Washington area? I drive in that area every day and I constantly see young and older children and some adults riding dirt bikes and other off-road vehicles riding all over MLK Way and nearby streets as well as Washington, riding around and through traffic. Beside the obvious violations of riding these on public roads and no helmets on any of the kids under 16 none of them seem to have any regard for their own safety nor anyone else's. I've been driving in that area for well over a year and see this daily. What's the issue here? Fear of stirring up racial issues, lack of proactive patrols or both? We all know calling in traffic complaints is useless because like any typical traffic complaint the subjects take a x8 by the time any units are x97 in the area. Thanks for any input.

Unregistered
    They try to trick us into chasing them, which just ends up way too dangerous for the dirt bikes. They won't pull over for us, and we have a no chase policy. So, like many other things, we are not able to do anything about them.

Unregistered

Trickery

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    They try to trick us into chasing them, which just ends up way too dangerous for the dirt bikes. They won't pull over for us, and we have a no chase policy. So, like many other things, we are not able to do anything about them.

It's more like, "They try to trick us into chasing them" if someone called 911 on them.

Unregistered
    Sounds about right. Wait until something happens when somebody hits them, then the community will raise hell and want the driver that hit them charged while also blaming SPD for not doing enough in some way. Sounds very much to me like your Chief is afraid of this community, typical city pandering.

Unregistered
    Our worthless chief will not do anything to upset the community no matter how ludicrous or off base they are. She is loathed by virtually everyone at SPD so the community is all she has and she knows it.

Unregistered
    Earlier I saw one of these idiots popping a wheelie on N Orange Ave, almost losing it and damn near running into a car pulling out of 20th or 19th St. Guessing it's going to take them crashing or getting hit for the Chief to grow some balls and do something.

Unregistered
    Earlier I saw one of these idiots popping a wheelie on N Orange Ave, almost losing it and damn near running into a car pulling out of 20th or 19th St. Guessing it's going to take them crashing or getting hit for the Chief to grow some balls and do something.
    You are hamstrung by the unholy trinity: the law, policy and politics.

The law: What underlying charge are you going to initiate a chase for? Infraction, misdemeanor of felony?

Policy: Will policy allow you to engage in a high speed pursuit for an infraction? If policy says yes, the SPD is subject to high liability for any human injuries or deaths that follow.

Politics: This is determined by mixing together the law, policy, city commissioners, advocacy groups (ACLU, BLM, etc), informal community leaders and finally, media coverage of it all.

So back to the original question: is an initial "infraction" justification for engaging in a high liability, high speed pursuit? Nope, it's not. Instead, if Air 1 is up, then call him over to your location and have him direct you to violators final destination. It's better than nothing.

Unregistered
    There's nothing any law enforcement agency can do about these kinds of neighborhoods. The people have to want to change things and start accepting responsibility but that'll never happen. Too easy to blame everyone else.