Lt. Leo Tapanes - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lt. Leo Tapanes

Unregistered
    You mean bc the way the process works or bc his skillset?

Unregistered
    I need answers

Unregistered

OK- Update on my answers - what I learned about Tapanes - called Goldilocks Principle

The Goldilocks Principle is an analogy based on the children's book The Three Bears. We all recall the story of Goldilocks tasting porridge that was too hot, one that was too cold, and one that was just right. I am using the analogy here to discuss the issue of supervisor-employee familiarity. I've been studying Lt. Tapanes' style. Its bulletproof!!

In recent years I have noticed an increasing amount of material suggesting that supervisors of all ranks should get off their high pedestal, and become more like their subordinates so they can better relate to those employees. As Captain Michael Abrashoff said in his book It's Your Ship, "look for results, not salutes." But catchy slogans aside, the Captain was not suggesting that organizational etiquette or professional courtesy be eliminated. Rather he was suggesting that leaders find ways to knock down some of the barriers that exist between supervisors and subordinates because barriers hurt trust and stifle creativity. The Captain describes how he removed some of the "rank has its privileges" practices on his ship, but he never suggested there was no difference between his supervisors and subordinates. The Captain found numerous ways to be close, but not too close to his crew. He found his Goldilocks Principle - that level of employee familiarity that worked best for him.

Former Secretary of State and retired Army General Colin Powell in his book It Worked For Me goes even further in discussing the issue of familiarity. Powell rightly argues that leaders have legal authority over their subordinates. They are in a position to hold subordinates accountable for their behavior, including meeting minimum job expectations. Supervisors may be in a position to give bad performance reviews, recommend or impose discipline, and in some cases even recommend termination. Conversely, friends typically do not have that power and control over another friend.

At the same time, Powell acknowledges that leaders have to earn respect. It does not come automatically with rank. Respect is given to a supervisor by their subordinates. You earn respect by building trust, by listening, by showing compassion and empathy, and by demonstrating you care about their well-being. Powell cautions that respect is not the same as being liked. It is nice to be liked, and it might make your life a little easier, but being liked it is not required. On the other hand, earning respect is critical to your success as a supervisor. If you want to be liked, understand that it comes from respect, and not from failing to hold employees accountable for their behaviors.

Powell maintains that friendliness is fine, but familiarity may not only breed contempt, it may lead subordinates to believe they can behave a certain way specifically because of their perceived friendship. As such, supervisors should avoid too much familiarity.

Too much familiarity will result in a perception of favoritism from those who feel outside of your inner circle. The work assigned, or degree of accountability (or lack of it) will be blamed on that favoritism. Such perceptions quickly develop into employee resentment. In addition, you may have unrealistic job performance expectations from those you consider friends specifically because of that friendship. That may create problems especially if that "friend" disagrees with your expectations.

Being perceived as being too distant from employees because of your rank or position will create problems. Being perceived as being too close with your employees will also create problems. Find the degree of familiarity that lets your employees know that you care about their wellbeing, that you are approachable, that you are open to their ideas, and that you will work to earn their trust. But do not get so close that you cannot objectively perform your duties. You are similar, but different from your employees. After all, if there was no difference, your organization would not need you to be a supervisor.

TIP: Friendliness, engagement and approachability build trust. But over-familiarity creates a perception of favoritism. Find the balance that works best for you.

Unregistered
    Lt. Tapanes please make sure you don't get caught with some copyright infrigment with your statement above.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Lt. Tapanes please make sure you don't get caught with some copyright infrigment with your statement above.
    Nice call, looks like someone just got called out!

Unregistered
    Leo make the adjustments to the daily meds dude

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Nice call, looks like someone just got called out!
    You are absolutely right! I stand corrected.
    Should that post not be considered in defense of the 'fair use' rule of copyrighted material then it must be put into quotes and the author must be cited.

So...willfully correcting the post - please include it in full quotes and credit should properly be cited to: Ronald C. Glidden, author of "52 Bulletproof Leadership Tips" as found in ISBN-13: 978-0692413166.

Add'l Source Reference to the Goldilocks Principle from Quiver Management: https://www.quivermanagement.com/201...cks-principle/

Add'l source Reference to the Goldilocks Principle from Michael rs Morgan blog:
    https://michaelrsmorgan.blogspot.com...-is-there.html

thank you for keeping me honest and professional!

Unregistered

awards

Is Lt Tapanes up for any awards this year?

Unregistered
    So history does not repeat itself....can we check a 5 year update on whether there is still on-site compliance?

https://www.local10.com/news/local/m...r-diving-found

Unregistered
    Leo is a baker, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. He’s had my back.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast