Arming School Staff - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    For the vetting it's critical to carefully examine the mental health of whomever is interested. A teacher who proves to be a good shot is dangerous if they're a reckless kook.
    Rather than go to this extreme, a better idea would be to rotate DOD deputies in the schools. They have experience at managing housing units and would probably do a good job at keeping the middle and high schools under control. When the school fights start, just call a classroom lock down. It's discipline and structure that's lacking in the schools. The parents need to agree that the public schools need to be more militant to be safe. Think about it, aside from perimeter and scanner, the housing units are manageable with the worst population because of structure and expectations. There's no reason not to implement something similar in the schools.
    This may be the worst idea on the planet. Turn schools into jails.... horrible idea

Unregistered
    Not all teachers are equipped psychologically to handle the stress. But as we learned, neither are all cops. You had two staff members who were more mentally equipped than the 8 responding BSO deputies. I think if those 2 staff members were armed, the situation would have ended completely differently.

If there are school staff members who want to be armed, require them to go to the same training as LEOs do. require them to requalify every year the same as LEOs do.

I would take it a step further. I would pay staff members a stipend to become auxiliary police officers. Make them psych, poly, FTO and everything (in the summer). They wouldn't possess arrest powers as an auxiliary LEO (opposed to going through the full academy and being part-time LEOs). They would to be considered "on duty" during any school function.

This could be done by the county sheriffs or FHP or even each school board PD.

If 2-5 school staff members at every school (there are approx 30-50 staff members) at every school in the county.
    that's a really good idea.

Unregistered
    This may be the worst idea on the planet. Turn schools into jails.... horrible idea
    It's not turning schools into jails. The jails aren't really that much like jails anyway with the exception of a few areas. The inmates hang around and watch TV all day in open housing units. How about using the cross certified DOD deputies in the schools? Why all the resistance to structure? These kids are out of control. Watch some of the videos of these fights on youtube. There's nothing in the PROMISE program that will help this. It's a good idea to bring guns into the schools, but not to try structure and discipline first?

Anyone who attended a Catholic school in NY can tell you that one nun with a ruler in her hand could put the fear of God into you with one look. Discipline WORKS. Let's try it.

Unregistered
    Being a current SRO for the past several years, I understand the thought process of the MSD committee behind this idea. But the reality of the majority of teachers being armed & stopping an active shooter is just not going to happen. Don’t get me wrong, there are some teachers that could, but most cannot. Most teachers do not want to be armed. Teachers teach & law enforcement (if trained properly) can stop an active shooter. The SRO/ sworn law enforcement officer has a dual purpose on campus. They are there to bridge the gap between kids & cops while gaining their respect & trust to hopefully know more about what’s going on in the community & the school campus. The SRO also has the responsibility to stop any threats as well. Also, keep in mind the scenario of an armed teacher trying to stop a shooter when law enforcement arrives. They do not know this is a teacher or a gunmen & the teacher now has the potential to be shot & killed by law enforcement in the heat of the moment. A law enforcement officer in uniform on campus in communication with a dispatcher is a must. We know staffing a school an SRO costs more than an armed teacher or a Guardian but there are other areas to cut costs, not with a child’s safety. No disrespect to anyone, just my opinion with 30 plus years in L. E.
    Stay safe.
    Time to retire Robocop......

Unregistered
    I believe armed teachers should be sworn in as deputies. They also should respond to dispatched calls in Parkland and Coral Springs. They can work details at the airport , port, and courthouse.

Unregistered
    I believe armed teachers should be sworn in as deputies. They also should respond to dispatched calls in Parkland and Coral Springs. They can work details at the airport , port, and courthouse.

To many what if’s...

Most commercial pilots are armed during flights. It is voluntary and they go through decent training.

It’s unfortunate, but you cannot rely on anyone to come save your life at a moments notice. You must be able and willing to react with deadly force if need be to save yourself as well as others. Times have changed and society has to adapt and push forward!

I can see the cons listed, but look at the pros when making your decision.

We already know what a bad guy can do, if there isnt a good guy or gal with a gun to stop him!

Protecting the schools and students is the most important thing!!!

Unregistered
    Question to cross certified DOD deputies:

If given the option, would you be interested in working in a school on a rotating basis?

Unregistered
    The problem is that too many morons, including some fellow cops apparently, don't know or understand history or statistics. Until the Gun Free Zones Act of 1990 it was perfectly legal for teachers, and even students, to bring lawfully owned and carried guns onto school property and you know how many active shootings there were before 1990 vs how many since?

I'll give you all time to look it up.

Unregistered
    There are, I believe, 18 other states that allow teachers to be armed. You are not aware of this because there hasn't been an issue.

Why not allow teachers who are vetted and trained to carry? You trust them with your children? If there was a fire in the classroom, you expect them to use a fire extinguisher. If they were on the playground and a rabid dog was there you would expect them to try and stop it. If the 2 adult Coaches that were killed try to save kids by shielding the kids, I would imagine if he were armed he would have engaged the shooter.

If anything, while locked down in there classroom, they are able to defend against the shooter breaking in.

I am not for all teachers being armed. But if they are willing and able to train and certify, like armed pilots in passenger aircraft, then I'm Okay with it.
    I’ll tell you why it’s not a good idea to arm teachers. There have been too many cases of students assaulting teachers and in many of those attacks the teachers were completely and thoroughly physically man handled. Why is this an important point? Because it’s only going to take one incident where a kid disarms a teacher and takes their weapon. Then shoots the teacher and others and then what? The answer is to put a cop in every single school and continually train and update the personnel to ensure the right cops are in the schools.

Unregistered
    I’ll tell you why it’s not a good idea to arm teachers. There have been too many cases of students assaulting teachers and in many of those attacks the teachers were completely and thoroughly physically man handled. Why is this an important point? Because it’s only going to take one incident where a kid disarms a teacher and takes their weapon. Then shoots the teacher and others and then what? The answer is to put a cop in every single school and continually train and update the personnel to ensure the right cops are in the schools.

The problem raises its ugly little head again!!! That kid you speak of, should not be in achool and should be taken and placed elsewhere!!!

School is for tje good kids that want to learn and tjeir environment must relect that. In the 70-80s I dont recall anyone in my school harming a teacher!

It is not the NORM, dont let them tell you it is!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast