Christmas - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Christmas

Administrator LEO Affairs Chief MOD 1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I always knew to expect a lot of problems on this site because anyone can read and post. I know that the founders wanted maximum site traffic and they also (at that time) wanted LEOs to be able to o somewhere and say something without chain of command retaliating against them for their posts. Now we have ambulance chasers, press, people who got tickets and can't get over it and every other form of bottom feeder turning it into a sewer. I would like to see it go to a format where you have to be verified LEO and real name etc, and you have to log in to post or to view, but that will never happen. If it ever did, people would have to think twice before they hit that "post" button.
    The founders left it open for a number of reasons:

1. Maximum comfort level of LEOs to post freely.
    2. Press and Public to be able to read the posts and put pressure on Chiefs, Sheriffs, and politicians to help effect change for LEOs.

As far has posters having to be verified LEO and real name, etc, then having to log in to post or to view, we have a private area where that is done. I don't remember when we started it, but it was probably 2008 or so. Since that time, 945 officers went through the process of being verified, which was done in a very discreet non-intrusive manner. The last activity in that private section for Certified LEOs Only was over 4 years ago. It really never took off. They did not have to use their real name. They were able to use any user name that they already had or was available. But, it was for active and retired LEOs only. There were no exceptions to these rules. If I could not verify someone, they did not get approved.

Log story short is, most of the people that registered and got verified, never even posted even though it was still anonymous. Those that did post, eventually stopped. It just died off over time.

Mod 1
    Mod 1

http://WWW.LEOAFFAIRS.COM

Terms Of Use

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a
    courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
    Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of
    lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Unregistered

Thanks Mod 1

I have to respond by saying thanks for addressing what I said about the anonymous posters.
    I know that back when Chip and the others launched this it was supposed to be a good safe place for LEO's to vent or ask low-value intel questions without getting crap at work over it. I see questions like "hey, have you ever seen one of these weird ID cards". Before you know it 3 people have!

You know, though you can't please everybody and I guess there are still a lot of LEO's who feel if someone could trace a post back to them they could lose everything they worked for. I certainly don't criticize how you do it here. I criticize those who can;t act like professional family working people. You have to ask yourself "Is it a good idea to say this" "What if it WASN't anonymous?" and could I use a specific skill set to address this offline, such as meeting with someone you disagree with or chatting it over with a clergy or even just cooling off and learning which event are worth going to battle stations over. I also know sometimes none of those would work. If you can vent without being a nasty asshole, venting anonymously may be the best idea. I my enable you to see you "aren't the only one". So really, I just wish this wasn't such a mess over here. But some good comes too. If one person has become a better LEO or better person because of something they read here it's really good for all of us.

That said, grammar police, POST:

Administrator LEO Affairs Chief MOD 1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have to respond by saying thanks for addressing what I said about the anonymous posters.
    I know that back when Chip and the others launched this it was supposed to be a good safe place for LEO's to vent or ask low-value intel questions without getting crap at work over it. I see questions like "hey, have you ever seen one of these weird ID cards". Before you know it 3 people have!

You know, though you can't please everybody and I guess there are still a lot of LEO's who feel if someone could trace a post back to them they could lose everything they worked for. I certainly don't criticize how you do it here. I criticize those who can;t act like professional family working people. You have to ask yourself "Is it a good idea to say this" "What if it WASN't anonymous?" and could I use a specific skill set to address this offline, such as meeting with someone you disagree with or chatting it over with a clergy or even just cooling off and learning which event are worth going to battle stations over. I also know sometimes none of those would work. If you can vent without being a nasty asshole, venting anonymously may be the best idea. I my enable you to see you "aren't the only one". So really, I just wish this wasn't such a mess over here. But some good comes too. If one person has become a better LEO or better person because of something they read here it's really good for all of us.

That said, grammar police, POST:
    I don't disagree with you. I wish people would think "Would I say this in front of my mother?" before they post some of the stuff they post, along with many of the examples that you provided. I struggle everyday with what to delete and what to leave when people report posts. I walk a fine line in determining what constitutes a violation and what doesn't. I try to keep the original intent of the Message Boards the way that Chip and Jim intended them. I worked for them for a long time, before Jim gave up his interest in the company and then Chip later sold his, and then later left the company that now owns it. I do my best to keep things the way they were intended to be.

With that said, some things do change over time. I over see over 500 message boards and all of the moderators. I can not review every post on every board. It is not feasible. I never seem to have enough moderators, the ones I do have do a great job. Many disappear over time, and never tell me. I find out after a while.

What helps is the Report this Post Button that is on every post. If every one would click on it and report posts that they feel violate the Terms of Use, while it would really keep me and the other Mods busy, it would really help clean up the boards.

This really is a good place for people to vent and positive change has come about because of this board. Does negative get posted on here? Yes it does, but if people would report the violations, then we could take care of it.

Sorry, this post is so long. I will get off my soap box now.

Mod 1
    Mod 1

http://WWW.LEOAFFAIRS.COM

Terms Of Use

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a
    courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
    Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of
    lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123