average pay
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: average pay

Unregistered

average pay

what can a new hire expect to earn? I know base pay is listed as $41k but with overtime what do most new hires earn in their first year and second year?

Unregistered

Post Honestly

I don't really care, at 22 right now just out of college, 41k is decent to live on, just trying to get certified and some experience. Plus the schedule is great to get further during the first 3 years. It wouldn't be a bad job

Unregistered
    Not bad for 22 but for someone that has been teaching for 20 years and would like a change of career, it would be helpful to know. This question has plenty of views and I'm guessing more than half are teachers because they have been recruiting through the public school e-mail server.

Unregistered

48% verses 90%

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not bad for 22 but for someone that has been teaching for 20 years and would like a change of career, it would be helpful to know. This question has plenty of views and I'm guessing more than half are teachers because they have been recruiting through the public school e-mail server.
    Do the retirement math:
    • School Teacher retirement: 30 years x .016 = 48% of your active-duty salary (can collect at age 65)
    • School Officer retirement: 30 years x .03 = 90% of your active-duty salary (can collect at age 62)

Both school teachers and school officers work school day hours. However, school officers don't have to create lesson plans and are not trapped in a classroom with kids all day. Recruiting teachers is logical because they are already familiar with the school systems and it's cultural, academic and political expectations.

Unregistered
    The retirement part is a no brainer but the yearly pay is my question. I’m making nearly $70k with all my teaching supplements but am worried that base pay is $41k at entry level. Just trying to figure out what first year guys are ACTUALLY bringing in.

Unregistered
    The retirement part is a no brainer but the yearly pay is my question. I’m making nearly $70k with all my teaching supplements but am worried that base pay is $41k at entry level. Just trying to figure out what first year guys are ACTUALLY bringing in.
    You're pretty much maxed out at 71k as a teacher. That comes out to 34k annually for a civilian retirement.

However, if you switch to school officer, then even though you may start at 41k, you will still be credited with 3% (instead of 1.6%) for your 71k (because the highest 5 FRS years averaged), which BOOM comes out to 63k annually for retirement (but only when you retire).

Also, 41k is just the starting pay for school officer. You can only go up from there.

Unregistered
    You're pretty much maxed out at 71k as a teacher. That comes out to 34k annually for a civilian retirement.

However, if you switch to school officer, then even though you may start at 41k, you will still be credited with 3% (instead of 1.6%) for your 71k (because the highest 5 FRS years averaged), which BOOM comes out to 63k annually for retirement (but only when you retire).

Also, 41k is just the starting pay for school officer. You can only go up from there.
    if you are a miami dade teacher your salary carries over, you just won't get a raise for a very long time but you can do OT and earn more. I did it and my salary stayed the same I make more because i work the OT. Good luck.

Unregistered
    if you are a miami dade teacher your salary carries over, you just won't get a raise for a very long time but you can do OT and earn more. I did it and my salary stayed the same I make more because i work the OT. Good luck.
    Thanks. That’s what I wanted to know.

Unregistered
    Actually that may not be true I beleive there may something in the works to limit school biard employees who want to switch to a lower starting salary. Time will tell

Unregistered
    If you are earning$71,000 as a ten month teacher than I suggest you keep your current position. Why would you take a 30,000 pay decrease and add another 2 months of work?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast