Why Does Ft Myers Continue to Have Openings???
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Unregistered

Why Does Ft Myers Continue to Have Openings???

Why does Ft Myers continue to have openings? I know it's everywhere but they are like four short. Where are these people going?

Unregistered
    Horrible leadership plus surrounding agencies all pay above and beyond what we make

Unregistered
    I'm not sure what the Captain or LTs are like but I know they've had four that they lost in recent months. The pay is obviously a big factor but not sure the specifics on whats been going on.

Unregistered
    Well you need two years experience, when everyone around us started at 34-36k it was easy to get people Now everyone around us starts at 44-46 with step plans so at two years everyone’s almost at 50, why come here for 39? And the retirees are all going to SRO. Agencies around us are hiring retirees and putting them straight to SRO with holidays, weekends, and optional summers off making more than what we pay. So we get bottom of the barrel. Everyone applying is failing the test or not passing the backgrounds.

Unregistered
    Hey guys, I am deciding on whether to interview with the ABT after a recent opening or to take an offer with the FDC OIG office as an inspector. Does the ABT have better opportunities than the OIG office?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hey guys, I am deciding on whether to interview with the ABT after a recent opening or to take an offer with the FDC OIG office as an inspector. Does the ABT have better opportunities than the OIG office?
    Better? No. Different? Yes. Comparing the two really isn't practical. At ABT you can skip ranks, work what you want, be off when you want and get a free car.

You have to decide what level of nonsense you are willing to take. There are no good state jobs, but some suck less than others.

Unregistered
    So the OIG office is not a better choice in terms of work load? It seems most state jobs all have their pros and cons like any job but some are more desirable than others. Is there a lot of opportunities for advancement up or into other tasked duties at ABT? I was looking at the salary for the ABT and it looks like the range is 1521-2842 biweekly. So how long does it typically take to max out in the salary range and is there a lot of opportunities for overtime?

Unregistered
    Everyone starts at the bottom salary. We get raises whenever the governor gives us one. Last few years was good. I would imagine it’s the same at the OIG.

I don’t know about the OIG I would imagine you won’t get a take home car and will probably have to be somewhere from 8-4 or 9-5. You can’t beat ABt for the freedom. If you feel like sleeping in then work 11a-7p. If you want to go home early then go home early and make up the hours another day. Yes we do some weird crazy stuff but you can’t beat the schedule and freedom.

Unregistered
    Sounds like there's a lot of freedom within the ABT and don't micromanage as bad as other state agencies. Besides the Glock platform, are you allowed to carry shotgun / rifle? During the course of investigations, do agents typically make a lot of arrests if criminal charges are brought forth? I know some state agencies rarely make the arrest and instead issue the warrant or will utilize citations in lieu of an arrest.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sounds like there's a lot of freedom within the ABT and don't micromanage as bad as other state agencies. Besides the Glock platform, are you allowed to carry shotgun / rifle? During the course of investigations, do agents typically make a lot of arrests if criminal charges are brought forth? I know some state agencies rarely make the arrest and instead issue the warrant or will utilize citations in lieu of an arrest.
    To answer an earlier question, there really isn't any "progression of duties" all agents are tasked with the same type of investigations. It's not like a typical CID where you may start out in property crimes and progress to murder investigations.

You can be issued a shotgun if you want one. There are no rifles approved or issued. Arrests depend on the investigation. Drugs, gambling, etc lead to arrests. Buying liquor at Sam's and reselling it in your bar is usually an admin case. There is wide discretion. Some judicial circuits insist on warrants. Some don't. It really doesn't matter because the investigation is the same. We issue more Notice to Appear forms than anything else. As far as salary goes everyone starts at the bottom. Most likely you will never top out on salary. There are about 80 agents statewide and none are topped out. The best thing about working here is the scheduling flexibility and the ability to roam several counties instead of being locked down in a zone or desk.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast