Shift Bid, you mean shift assignment - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Owners of thoroughbreds never stop their horses mid-race, every ten seconds, to remind the horse and jockey how to run,where the finish line is, or that it’d be good to finish first. Why? It would slow them down. Only an idiot would do this.

Unfortunately, this is the exact style management that we have at this agency. Everything will be running smoothly with moral up, and then suddenly, we have to stop and make a change. It's almost as if this is done intentionally to destroy what tiny bit of moral we have left at this place. This agency will never have employee's that are vested or have a desire to excel. It will always be this way until there is a major culture change.
    The Admin is here to run things period and make it run right. You will have shift assignments and working with people your entire career in this job that you do not want to work for or with, until you get into the position of management, assigning things and running the show. Get use to it. You are not the boss. One day you may be, but until then work with what the Admin does.

In responding to this post about thoroughbreds. I would strongly suggest you watch the old movie "Ben Hur"....it will teach you a lot about management of people/horses. You can not have a team of all thoroughbred leaders, the team will not work because of too many leader people/ horses. The team is almost always made up of different people/horses. In the movie you will learn simple management techniques. They put the slower maybe older horses on the inside to steady the team and the faster maybe younger horses on the outside to push the team, and it worked out great. Ben Hur won the race. We can do this here. Younger officers on the job feel entitled and want things in their career before they earn it, that the Admin. sees is not working. I don't see this shift set up is that bad. I ask that you give it a chance for a year or so before you start you gripping.

Unregistered
    The Admin is here to run things period and make it run right. You will have shift assignments and working with people your entire career in this job that you do not want to work for or with, until you get into the position of management, assigning things and running the show. Get use to it. You are not the boss. One day you may be, but until then work with what the Admin does.

In responding to this post about thoroughbreds. I would strongly suggest you watch the old movie "Ben Hur"....it will teach you a lot about management of people/horses. You can not have a team of all thoroughbred leaders, the team will not work because of too many leader people/ horses. The team is almost always made up of different people/horses. In the movie you will learn simple management techniques. They put the slower maybe older horses on the inside to steady the team and the faster maybe younger horses on the outside to push the team, and it worked out great. Ben Hur won the race. We can do this here. Younger officers on the job feel entitled and want things in their career before they earn it, that the Admin. sees is not working. I don't see this shift set up is that bad. I ask that you give it a chance for a year or so before you start you gripping.
    Not very subtle "sir". I'm going steal something I've heard several times over the past few days that you and the rest of this command staff needs to hear. No offense but you aren't that smart. You're running the show from behind the desk of amateurs. This has been tried before at other agencies. Start listening to your people that have been other places. This isn't going to work. It hasn't worked for them and it won't work for us. You are hurting your people and the department will get very little in return if anything. Do your homework and learn from the mistakes others have made. There were options and you have chosen the laziest least inspired one you could come up with. You are not only hurting your people but their families as well. The only thing you're getting out of this is younger horses that will either quit or not work anywhere near as hard as they used to and by then it will be too late. The older officers don't care about what the younger ones do. You took away their bid. Do you really think they'll be motivated because some rookie is doing 15 traffic stops a night? You all need to remember where you came from.

Unregistered
    It has nothing to do with the core officers themselves. There are simply too many of them. Patrol should be the priority of any law enforcement agency. How the hell did we hire so many people over the past few years and still average 6 per patrol squad? It's bullshit and it needs to change.
    Yes, that is a good response. I would say Bingo on that reply.

Unregistered
    Reading this forum, I am sad for you and it is why I left. It's not that hard and all the LT's have taken leadership 101 at some point in their career in college on how to keep people under them happy or, even better they have been to the FBI academy, but yet they do the opposite of what they are taught. You do not run things out of fear and intimidation, it's a very big no-no. You will get results, but most of the people working for you will not like you. Has any of these Lt.'s been sent to the basic Supervisor classes given at HCSO by Royce Decker? I just can not believe it if they have. They do the opposite of what he teaches. I know for one, he does not teach being a heavy handed supervisor, and surprise...he taught that he would do the write ups and keep them on his desk unless forced to hand them out. Total opposite of what you do there. George.

Unregistered
    The marijuana sticks these college kids carry and smoke are illegal period! They will not get by on this campus with that!

Unregistered
    It's really a very big balance of common sense and law enforcement on college kids wanting to get high and what they do at that age. I would say unless they are causing a problem or a disturbance, they are probably doing the same things you did at that age.

Unregistered
    This place is run by a bunch of azzholes who have now successfully pissed off the people in this agency that rarely let the administrative parade of dumb ideas bother them. This time it seems VERY DIFFERENT. There is a very palpable level of anger and dissapointment being voiced by those across the ranks. The trust between the command staff and the rest of us has been shattered to say the least.

Unregistered
    Our new department motto should be "They'll get over it"

Unregistered
    You will, and you will like it, period.

Unregistered
    You will, and you will like it, period.
    Mark my words, your so called " proactive guys" will steadily decline in stats when paired with other squads. It is also a guarantee that you will loose some of them to other agencies.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast