12’s Sheriff’s View 2010
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

12’s Sheriff’s View 2010

A throwback to 2010.......guess Bob changed his mind. Guess 12’s don’t exhaust people anymore either.

The Chief at Readoff
    Today Chief Gualtieri spoke at NDS read-off and asked for any questions or feedback. I agree with a majority of his responses and sincerely appreciate him taking his time to keep us up to date. (Let the slams begin on the last comment, but I don't remember too many visits from past Chiefs).

The only issue I have was the discussion regarding morale and 12 hours shifts. The 12 hour shifts were brought up again by someone (No names mentioned) and once again they were completely rejected. A senior Deputy (short timer) spoke regarding the morale and threw in a side note of the 12 hours shift.

The Chief gave all the cons of why he will not go to a 12 hours shift, which I understand and some of his points are valid. Even though some points are valid I think he is missing the point with 12 hours shifts and morale.

He was skeptical of how bad morale is and basically said morale is bad due to people not getting everything they want. Again, I agree with that but if you mention 12 hours shifts he becomes turned off and says, no, no, no.

He point blank said I don't care of how many votes you have we will not go to 12 hours shifts. He went on to say he has worked a 12 hours shift and was completely exhausted. He also said when he works in Patrol on a 8 hours shift he is wiped out at the end of the shift.

For those reasons he is completely against 12's and feels they may cause an unsafe environment. He also said the guys that were layed off and returned said the last few hours on their shifts at HCSO they sat in the parking lot because they were too tired to do anything. (New guys sitting doing nothing while others are chasing calls, yea right!)

The Chief also mentioned how good days off are hard to come by. He basically told us when we signed up to be cops we didn't sign up for the days off and knew our schedules are tough. He said we all make sacrifices.

We are currently not getting overtime, no raises in three years, insurance hikes, etc. Sacrifices galore right there. I know times are bad for all, but perhaps throwing us a bone every now and then would help the morale of this agency. It's easy to sit behind a desk, weekends off, holidays off, drawing a fat check and tell the troops when you signed up you knew what was in store.

Perhaps opening your mind to 12 hours shifts would give us a little bit of a morale boost. Your stance on 12's makes me think you really don't care about what we would like to work and therefore causes low morale.

12 hours shifts are a sacrifice just like this job is. A sacrifice a 20+ year Deputy would like to take so he can atleast get every other weekend off as opposed to Tuesday/Wednesday.”

Unregistered
    I was present at a jail retirement party when Coats and Gualtieri rejected 12s and stated flat out they will never happen when several sergeants and the Lt. asked. They cited numerous reasons: morale, fatigue, family life conflicts, child care, education and a few others I can't remember. Furthermore Major Slaughter, Captains Downs and Castine also stated there are no plans for 12s because the budget accountants feel it would not save money. 8s vs 12s are a wash basically, that's what they said.

In case the administration is wondering why it can't hire enough people, 12s are one of the major reasons.

Unregistered
    12s are terrible. They are only good if your a 23 year old that wants to go out every other weekend. 10s and even 8s are much better

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    12s are terrible. They are only good if your a 23 year old that wants to go out every other weekend. 10s and even 8s are much better
    Young, dumb and full of ......

Unregistered
    They went to 12’s to keep the young guys and gals here. Guess what? There arent staying. Either they are realizing that law enforcement isn’t for them or they are doing their three comment and going to another agency. 12’s are great if you are young and want party with friends every other weekend. Soon these guys will get married and have children and 12’s aren’t that great anymore. Childcare issues were tough on 8’s, especially if your wife worked. On 12’s, it’s impossible, especially if you got no family members that can help out.

There are other factors such as 30 year retirement, no cola, medical costs after retirement. Survivor Losing 1/3 of pension of you pass away. With a great economy, why would anyone do this job. It’s a thankless job which you get attacked by the administration and the people you serve. You have to prove your innocent and if you can’t then you are deemed to be untruthful.

Unregistered
    It’s a thankless job which you get attacked by the administration and the people you serve. You have to prove your innocent and if you can’t then you are deemed to be untruthful.
    Would body cams not solve that issue?

Unregistered
    Would body cams not solve that issue?
    Yes, but then the administration would catch their supervisors lying so that won’t happen. You can’t blame the subordinates if the supervisors are caught lying.

Unregistered
    Yes, but then the administration would catch their supervisors lying so that won’t happen. You can’t blame the subordinates if the supervisors are caught lying.
    Body cameras would get rid of many bad apples.

Unregistered
    They went to 12’s to keep the young guys and gals here. Guess what? There arent staying. Either they are realizing that law enforcement isn’t for them or they are doing their three comment and going to another agency. 12’s are great if you are young and want party with friends every other weekend. Soon these guys will get married and have children and 12’s aren’t that great anymore. Childcare issues were tough on 8’s, especially if your wife worked. On 12’s, it’s impossible, especially if you got no family members that can help out.

There are other factors such as 30 year retirement, no cola, medical costs after retirement. Survivor Losing 1/3 of pension of you pass away. With a great economy, why would anyone do this job. It’s a thankless job which you get attacked by the administration and the people you serve. You have to prove your innocent and if you can’t then you are deemed to be untruthful.
    I’ve been here 19 years and would take 12’s over 8’s any day. Only people that don’t like the 12’s are lazy fukkers who don’t like to work. having only Two days off a week sucks!!!!!

Unregistered
    With the way, things are happening all over the nation. Body Cams, will within the next 2 years or less become mandatory for all uniformed cops and deputies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast