Correctional Officer Academy vs. Correctional Probation Officer Academy and PT

Unregistered

Correctional Officer Academy vs. Correctional Probation Officer Academy and PT

I'm debating whether or not to apply for a Correctional Probation Officer position or CO position. I think that I would like the CPO side because I like being "out and about" some instead of sitting in one place for hours on end. My only concern is the academy. I am physically fit, but had one health issue that could be adversely affected by high impact exercises like jumping jacks. I can run, do DT, etc. with no issue, but the extremely high impact could pose problems later on down the line. Does anyone know just how much high impact exercise the academy requires? Are they willing to bend a little for someone who can do most all of the exercises, but should probably avoid maybe one or two? There's a chance that I could do them for the short academy period with no adverse effects, but if I did have effects on down the line requiring corrective surgery, it would put me out of work for five weeks or so. Thank you for any advice.

Unregistered
    All CO's have to qualify with firearms. The CPO'S
    do not. They can agree to come back after their academy is done. The starting pay is about the same. Even though you need a college degree for one of the jobs.

Unregistered
    Cant give you an answer about your limitations because I don't know what it is. As far as cutting you slack, don't count on it. Either your can perform all assigned tasks or you can't. If you have to choose one, choose being a CPO. Do you really want to be locked up in an institution for 12 hrs a day/night with people that want to hurt/kill you? Its a no brainer

Unregistered
    Here is your choice, work in a lock down facility where people want to hurt you. Or work in drug riddled neighborhoods, where people want to hurt you. What did you say? No brainer??