Re-hiring of former Correctional Officers - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you are a re-hire the FRS will not give you a COLA. That ended in 2010 for good, no exceptions. All years accumulated after 2010 will not have a pension COLA. What you get when you retire stays the same until you or your spouse dies.

Also re-hires get 1.6% not the 3% high risk gets, regardless of the job. It makes for a much lower pension.
    That doesn't sound right about the 1.6%, where did you get your info? High risk job is a high risk job.

Unregistered
    That doesn't sound right about the 1.6%, where did you get your info? High risk job is a high risk job.
    Just checked out info on FRS. If you retire and return, you are no longer eligible for the high risk retirement. But, in my case, I did not retire. I just left. So I would still be eligible for the high risk.

Unregistered
    Just checked out info on FRS. If you retire and return, you are no longer eligible for the high risk retirement. But, in my case, I did not retire. I just left. So I would still be eligible for the high risk.
    If you retire and return you aren't eligible for any additional retirement. You can only draw one retirement check. And of course, if you just resigned without retiring you are eligible to reenter FRS with special risk if you are doing a special risk job.

Unregistered
    If you come back after retirement, do they still take 3% out of your check?

Unregistered
    No they do not because you are already retired.

Unregistered
    Yes they do because you are working on your second retirement.

Unregistered
    Question: if I am currently in FRS(code officer in south Florida for 2 years) and I leave to work in another state but then decide to come back, will I lose the 2 years I worked in FRS, or will I basically pick up where I left off?? Asking because I'm thinking of moving to Georgia but weighing my options in case things don't work out and I come back. Thanks in advance !

Unregistered
    Yes they do because you are working on your second retirement.
    Wrong! You can old draw one FRS retirement, period! They do not take out 3% and that is a fact. Ten years ago you were able to retire for 30 days and then come back as a rehire and then start on a new retirement but that is gone and it isn't coming back. Now, you have to be gone 12 months and when you come back they don't take 3% but you also cannot earn a second retirement.

Unregistered
    Question: if I am currently in FRS(code officer in south Florida for 2 years) and I leave to work in another state but then decide to come back, will I lose the 2 years I worked in FRS, or will I basically pick up where I left off?? Asking because I'm thinking of moving to Georgia but weighing my options in case things don't work out and I come back. Thanks in advance !
    I would email or call FRS but if I had to make a guess you will get credit for two years of service in FRS.

Unregistered
    I would email or call FRS but if I had to make a guess you will get credit for two years of service in FRS.
    Vesting period is 8 years right now. If you leave before that time you can switch to the investment plan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast