Re-hiring of former Correctional Officers
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unregistered

Re-hiring of former Correctional Officers

How difficult is it for a former CO who has allowed certification to lapse to get re-hired? I’ve been gone for about 12 years, but have considered returning to pick my retirement back up and work about another 15 years. Any thoughts or experiences?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    How difficult is it for a former CO who has allowed certification to lapse to get re-hired? I’ve been gone for about 12 years, but have considered returning to pick my retirement back up and work about another 15 years. Any thoughts or experiences?
    Can you bend over and grab your ankles? You are hired!

Unregistered
    You will probably have to go back through the academy since your certification has expired. You sure you want to come back to FDC? Its pretty bad. You would be much better off joining at Sheriff's Office. But if not, they will hire you back, they'll take anyone right now, thats how bad things are.

Unregistered
    Can you bend over and grab your ankles? You are hired!
    I can do that!

Unregistered
    You are better off at any county jail because the pay and benefits are better.

Unless you kept up on your annual training your certification has expired and will have to go through the academy again.

As you probably know, the FRS has terminated its COLA in 2010. Any pension years earned after that will not have a COLA when you retire. Sucks pretty bad especially if inflation goes up a lot while your pension stays the same. If you go the FRS route you will have to save a lot of money in those 15 years before you can retire.

Good luck with whatever you decide but personally I'd rather work for any county jail rather than DOC.

Unregistered
    The only reason that I'm considering going back is that i live in a very rural area with very few jobs. When I left, I took a contract Social Services job, and right now it's kind of like being on the Titanic. I know that the contract is sinking, and that I'll likely be looking for a job soon. From what I can see, with my current qualifications, my options are going back to DOC for low wages but picking up high risk retirement again, working as a case manager for local mental health agency for low wages and poor retirement, or going to DCF as a Protective Investigator for decent wages and regular retirement, but having to to alone, at night, into some really bad situations. I'm thinking that CO job is probably less risky than DCF job. Moving is not really an option, so I'm feeling like I'm in kind of a nasty situation. None of my options are very good. Believe me, if this happens, it not something that I'm looking forward to.

Unregistered
    The only reason that I'm considering going back is that i live in a very rural area with very few jobs. When I left, I took a contract Social Services job, and right now it's kind of like being on the Titanic. I know that the contract is sinking, and that I'll likely be looking for a job soon. From what I can see, with my current qualifications, my options are going back to DOC for low wages but picking up high risk retirement again, working as a case manager for local mental health agency for low wages and poor retirement, or going to DCF as a Protective Investigator for decent wages and regular retirement, but having to to alone, at night, into some really bad situations. I'm thinking that CO job is probably less risky than DCF job. Moving is not really an option, so I'm feeling like I'm in kind of a nasty situation. None of my options are very good. Believe me, if this happens, it not something that I'm looking forward to.
    If you get LEO certified a lot more options will be available to you. Going to back to DOC is like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. If you must do so, try to get promoted so at least you can make more money.

Unregistered
    How long were you with FDC before and what years? This could effect your FRS. The previous poster mentioned that COLA went away after 2010, so you might be able to get a COLA if you were enrolled in FRS before then. However, I'm not sure and you need to call FRS to see what your options are. Good luck

Unregistered
    How long were you with FDC before and what years? This could effect your FRS. The previous poster mentioned that COLA went away after 2010, so you might be able to get a COLA if you were enrolled in FRS before then. However, I'm not sure and you need to call FRS to see what your options are. Good luck
    If you are a re-hire the FRS will not give you a COLA. That ended in 2010 for good, no exceptions. All years accumulated after 2010 will not have a pension COLA. What you get when you retire stays the same until you or your spouse dies.

Also re-hires get 1.6% not the 3% high risk gets, regardless of the job. It makes for a much lower pension.

Unregistered
    If you are a re-hire the FRS will not give you a COLA. That ended in 2010 for good, no exceptions. All years accumulated after 2010 will not have a pension COLA. What you get when you retire stays the same until you or your spouse dies.

Also re-hires get 1.6% not the 3% high risk gets, regardless of the job. It makes for a much lower pension.
    Are you sure about no more high risk for re-hires? When did they start that? I knew someone who returned, and as far as I knew, he picked up his 3% since he was working in a high risk job. If I couldn't get the high risk, I would be better off going and being an office clerk for the state somewhere.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast