Re-hiring of former Correctional Officers - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Vesting period is 8 years right now. If you leave before that time you can switch to the investment plan.
    Awesome, thank you!

Unregistered

Unhappy

The only reason that I'm considering going back is that i live in a very rural area with very few jobs. When I left, I took a contract Social Services job, and right now it's kind of like being on the Titanic. I know that the contract is sinking, and that I'll likely be looking for a job soon. From what I can see, with my current qualifications, my options are going back to DOC for low wages but picking up high risk retirement again, working as a case manager for local mental health agency for low wages and poor retirement, or going to DCF as a Protective Investigator for decent wages and regular retirement, but having to to alone, at night, into some really bad situations. I'm thinking that CO job is probably less risky than DCF job. Moving is not really an option, so I'm feeling like I'm in kind of a nasty situation. None of my options are very good. Believe me, if this happens, it not something that I'm looking forward to.
    If your current job is "like being on the Titanic", I would stay there. DOC is like the Titanic has already hit the iceberg... At this point, it's all over but the screaming!!!

Unregistered
    If your current job is "like being on the Titanic", I would stay there. DOC is like the Titanic has already hit the iceberg... At this point, it's all over but the screaming!!!
    Yeah, I probably will stay until it actually sinks. Just have to have options in mind for when it happens or appears imminent. I'm thinking that both DOC and Child Protective Investigations are both so desperate that either would be almost guaranteed jobs, in an emergency. But CPI is also very dangerous and only gets 1.6, so I'm thinking DC would be lesser of the evils in that unfortunate situation.

Unregistered
    But, FDC is unsinkable.

Unregistered
    The danger with DOC is that you stay on because you don't feel like moving and hope that someone, someday will right the sinking ship with a competitive raise. Don't fall for it because it will never happen. DOC will always pay less than county jails. If you stay on for years and years waiting for some savior politician to hand out raises you will be sorry and end up with a crummy pension as well.

Unregistered

If you have a degree (4year) your best bet is P&P. Not saying its great, but they make their own schedules, have arrest powers and carry firearms. However, they have hit the iceberg also.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123