Researching police agencies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Researching police agencies

Fresh out of college.(less than a year)
    Looking to get a gauge of what it is like working for school police. Looking for info beyond simply telling me what the pay is like, tell me about life and work balance, work hours, supervisors and any other pertinent information.
    Thanks

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Fresh out of college.(less than a year)
    Looking to get a gauge of what it is like working for school police. Looking for info beyond simply telling me what the pay is like, tell me about life and work balance, work hours, supervisors and any other pertinent information.
    Thanks
    RUN FORREST, RUN.......get as far away from this cesspool as you can.

Happy Career

Working for school police

Dont listen to the disgruntled. Your career is what you make of it. Negative people will attract negative circumstances.
    That being said, if you have a family or are planning a family, then School Police may be for you. The hours are ideal 7-3p or 8:30 -4:30p
    weekends off, paid vacation,
    good people to work with. Decent supervisors , Seriously they don't bug you if youre doing your job. Be on time, listen to radio , get reports in on time, ect. But the big reward comes in the form of making a big impact on the lives of children you protect. You can be a mentor,
    and sometimes the staff, parents, really let you know how valuable you are to them and the school. The job can be busy go go go and times it could get boring so you ll have to be creative. Do traffic in the school zone, visit the class room , walk the campus, visit the adjacent shopping centers and parks in search of truants, although i think we are moving away from that one to keep more on campus. I can go on and on. Agencies have their politics and controversy. This one has very few. Politics yes but in all, we do have a great superintendent and as for the New Chief, He is the most admired and respected among the troops because of his no nonsense approach to things and he 's not a publicity hoar. Hope that helps. Good luck with your choice.

Unregistered

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Career View Post
    Dont listen to the disgruntled. Your career is what you make of it. Negative people will attract negative circumstances.
    That being said, if you have a family or are planning a family, then School Police may be for you. The hours are ideal 7-3p or 8:30 -4:30p
    weekends off, paid vacation,
    good people to work with. Decent supervisors , Seriously they don't bug you if youre doing your job. Be on time, listen to radio , get reports in on time, ect. But the big reward comes in the form of making a big impact on the lives of children you protect. You can be a mentor,
    and sometimes the staff, parents, really let you know how valuable you are to them and the school. The job can be busy go go go and times it could get boring so you ll have to be creative. Do traffic in the school zone, visit the class room , walk the campus, visit the adjacent shopping centers and parks in search of truants, although i think we are moving away from that one to keep more on campus. I can go on and on. Agencies have their politics and controversy. This one has very few. Politics yes but in all, we do have a great superintendent and as for the New Chief, He is the most admired and respected among the troops because of his no nonsense approach to things and he 's not a publicity hoar. Hope that helps. Good luck with your choice.
    Thank you for the reply and the details included were definitely useful and will help me in making my decision concerning which department I want to apply.

Unregistered
    Yes; by all means, apply with this agency which stands a great chance of being disbanded within a couple of years,
    You don't mind wasting a couple of years of your live; do you?

Unregistered
    Yes; by all means, apply with this agency which stands a great chance of being disbanded within a couple of years,
    You don't mind wasting a couple of years of your live; do you?
    You say it like it's a bad thing. Applying will be anything other than a waste. You see: Within that time, the young applicant will have earned his certification on the school board's time, gained years of experience that he can use when applying somewhere else, be vested in the state's retirement, and enjoyed a few years of a normal work schedule. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do!

Unregistered

I've applied

I have sent in my resumé and cover letter as indicated by the posted on the Miami-Dade School Police Website. Now how long does it usually to hear back from them concerning the first step ? And overall how long should the process take ?
    Thank you

Unregistered
    You say it like it's a bad thing. Applying will be anything other than a waste. You see: Within that time, the young applicant will have earned his certification on the school board's time, gained years of experience that he can use when applying somewhere else, be vested in the state's retirement, and enjoyed a few years of a normal work schedule. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do!
    Are you serious gain years of experience maybe the old school police officers that left because they got tried of making 40,000 a year with no raise but you new rookies don't even handle calls you guys always pass them on to the county even if the 17 occurs in front of your school you won't handle, you guys are worthless. Keep passing those calls on sooner or later someone will realize you guys are not needed.

Unregistered
    Don't become a school board officer if you want to do police work. If you want to be a "mentor" for kids, this place is for you. There is no pro active units, no real investigative work. There is nothing else to do besides be an SRO. K-9 units are SRO's, detectives are SRO's, SGT's cover schools for SRO's. come here to be an SRO. Not for police work.

Unregistered
    This place sucks. No place to learn or do any police work. Sit in our school all day and take orders from a principal. Ask permission to take a 12. Low pay. No opportunity for advancement. Equipment is minimal. Toxic old timers and vets who have skated their entire sorry careers as detectives and at other hand picked assignments but know nothing. Our K9s are like house pets and stay holed up in the car. Dumb and lazy command staff (the absolute worse). Our headquarters is a dump. Little respect within the local law enforcement community. Widely considered school security not LEOs. Two chiefs of police.
    Still thinking of applying? 🤔

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast