Turn over rate is faster then ever - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hire more Gays, Lesbians and Transgender. That's the answer!
    Brilliant!

Unregistered
    I like that median pay of $50,000. Obviously Florida drags that amount down. Our starting pay should be around $45,000. If you paid liked that, you would eliminate a lot of turnover, boost morale and save a lot of money running academies. But Florida doesn't seem to give 2 cents about any of that. They seem to have no problem with massive turnover, running endless academies, staffing offices where 80% of the officers have less than 2 years experience. I'm glad my time is short.

You were well aware of the pay scale when you started this job! You were stupid enough to stay in this job. Look in the mirror if you want to blame someone.

Unregistered
    Florida Dept of Corrections.....criminals guarding criminals!

Unregistered
    I don't what DOC offers today, but back in the day it offered health care coverage from day one. That was a huge benefit most other places didn't offer. Some other things the state can do are offer discounted college tuition, offer more trailer housing space, update the gyms with better equipment, and offer free group physical training and nutritional advice. All of these incentives could help offset the lack of salary and it would be at a minimal cost to the state. Of course, a salary increase would be best but is not going to happen in this day and age. Good luck!

Unregistered

Lightbulb FDC needs to pay more money if they want to stop the turnover rate!

We have had in the last 12 months three officers who are still on probation status quit for various reasons. One left before the academy was over as he had previously applied for a different job and they called him and offered him $10.000 more to start. They sent us someone else slated for a different office and she quit because of the BS that a couple of sups gave her and we here she is doing something in the hospital administrators field .Yet another one who had 12 months with us decided that this job sucks for the pay so he went to the local jail and he received almost $20.000. more a year. Yup 52,000 a year to work the jails . That is so sad that the department is allowing this mess. They need to step to the plate and use their resources wisely . We all know this year we will receive no raise because of the hurricane so what is the answer. How do we keep people, we don't.

Look around your office, your circuit at how many folks will retire in the next 5 years and with no one coming or staying in the early stages we are screwed . I believe it is time we look at privatization , lets have the Sherriff take probation over and let the department use it resources for the prison . lets get on the Sherriff pay scale and hope to have a future that pays us a living wage. I think it may be the time for us to contact people and begin to talk about privatization . That the only solution I can come up with. anyone have another solution ?
    The idea of FDC thinking they can recruit and retain correctional officers with such a low salary with no step plan is just wishful thinking. Even detention deputies working at county jails make way more.

FDC should follow the county jails example of having the starting salary around $45k with a step plan. But no, FDC would rather waste taxpayers money to train and certify each correctional officer just for them to jump ship for another high paying job at a sheriff county jail.

Unregistered
    The idea of FDC thinking they can recruit and retain correctional officers with such a low salary with no step plan is just wishful thinking. Even detention deputies working at county jails make way more.

FDC should follow the county jails example of having the starting salary around $45k with a step plan. But no, FDC would rather waste taxpayers money to train and certify each correctional officer just for them to jump ship for another high paying job at a sheriff county jail.
    It makes no sense but its happening on the prison side and the probation side. My office has lost five good officers in one year and replaced by two and ones in the academy and he wont be ready for months. We also have five veterans officers planning on leaving in the next 6-7 months. It will be a disaster for the office. And the powers that be will do nothing. Let it sink!

Unregistered
    Florida Dept of Corrections.....criminals guarding criminals!
    Makes sense since cops are criminals arresting criminals.

Unregistered
    They wont turn it over to the Sheriffs.

Unregistered
    It makes no sense but its happening on the prison side and the probation side. My office has lost five good officers in one year and replaced by two and ones in the academy and he wont be ready for months. We also have five veterans officers planning on leaving in the next 6-7 months. It will be a disaster for the office. And the powers that be will do nothing. Let it sink!
    Thats the plan for me!!!

Unregistered

Turnover.

I began my career in the CJS in 1993 with P&P and quit in 1996 to go to a local law enforcement agency. I retired recently at age 47 and my pension is $60,000 a year. I would of NEVER saw that at DC . You guys complain about the same things we did back then. DC is like a Mc Donald’s job it’s not meant to be a career. Get a few years experience and move on or you’ll be miserable. After reading some of these posts it doesn’t take too long to get that way at DC.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast