The Deputy union's wrong-headed political endorsements
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

The Deputy union's wrong-headed political endorsements

Ironic how the union that represents Volusia’s deputies is working to unseat every sitting member of the County Council facing re-election this year. Ironic, but not surprising, given that their self-serving, vindictive, power-hungry boss, Sheriff Chitwood, is carrying out a bloody, scorched Earth vendetta against all but one of the Council incumbents. And the union has fallen in line and is marching in political lock-step with the boss because the members know all-too-well that bucking Chitwood is career suicide.

So let’s look at the facts:

What, exactly, has the Council done to deserve Chitwood’s hatred, vitriol and verbal assaults? As it turns out, nothing. Not a thing. In fact, and I’m sure someone here will correct me if I’m wrong, but to my knowledge the Council has approved every single request that Chitwood has made since he became Sheriff. And it’s a long list, starting with the approval of millions of dollars in the current budget to address compression and pay hikes for deputies and dispatchers. The list also includes Chitwood priorities such as:

-New positions
    -An independent use-of-force study
    -Privatizing courthouse security
    -An electronic monitoring program for juvenile offenders
    -More than a half-million dollars to buy additional body cameras
    -New software for the crime center
    -Funding for a homicide tip line
    -The upgrading of the E-911 system
    -Establishment of the school guardian program
    -Continued funding for a crime-fighting DNA testing program

In addition to the body cameras, the list also includes a variety of other needed equipment like:

-Body armor
    -Ammunition
    -Emergency opioid antagonists
    -Rifles
    -Stop sticks

So what’s this misguided, manufactured feud really about? That’s easy to answer in one simple word: POWER. Despite receiving everything he has requested, it galls Chitwood to have to go before the County Council to ask for stuff. What he really wants is unchecked, unbridled POWER to do whatever he wants with absolutely no oversight. And that’s extremely dangerous! What this is all about is Chitwood attempting to gin up voter support for Amendment 10, you know, the proposed amendment that would give Chitwood constitutional powers that would supersede Volusia’s home-rule charter. Unless voters make the change, which in my view would be a monumental mistake, the current system of checks-and-balances will remain in place and is the system that Chitwood was elected to work within and abide by.

It’s a good system that compels elected officials like Chitwood to work with the County Council and County Administration to get things done for the best overall interests of the community. It’s a system that has worked well for many years, under many Sheriffs before Chitwood came along. It’s a system that has worked well for our taxpayers. And given the results over the last 23 months since Chitwood took office, it’s a system that has worked well for Chitwood and Sheriff’s Office employees. And therein lies the irony of the Volusia County Deputies Association working to defeat the incumbent Council. Because these are the very same deputies who’ve benefited from the decisions of this Council and its support of Chitwood’s requests.

But again, this isn’t about good government. And it’s not even about supporting law enforcement. It’s about POWER and control. Think about that the next time that Chitwood or the union argue that the current County Council needs to be replaced.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ironic how the union that represents Volusia’s deputies is working to unseat every sitting member of the County Council facing re-election this year. Ironic, but not surprising, given that their self-serving, vindictive, power-hungry boss, Sheriff Chitwood, is carrying out a bloody, scorched Earth vendetta against all but one of the Council incumbents. And the union has fallen in line and is marching in political lock-step with the boss because the members know all-too-well that bucking Chitwood is career suicide.

So let’s look at the facts:

What, exactly, has the Council done to deserve Chitwood’s hatred, vitriol and verbal assaults? As it turns out, nothing. Not a thing. In fact, and I’m sure someone here will correct me if I’m wrong, but to my knowledge the Council has approved every single request that Chitwood has made since he became Sheriff. And it’s a long list, starting with the approval of millions of dollars in the current budget to address compression and pay hikes for deputies and dispatchers. The list also includes Chitwood priorities such as:

-New positions
    -An independent use-of-force study
    -Privatizing courthouse security
    -An electronic monitoring program for juvenile offenders
    -More than a half-million dollars to buy additional body cameras
    -New software for the crime center
    -Funding for a homicide tip line
    -The upgrading of the E-911 system
    -Establishment of the school guardian program
    -Continued funding for a crime-fighting DNA testing program

In addition to the body cameras, the list also includes a variety of other needed equipment like:

-Body armor
    -Ammunition
    -Emergency opioid antagonists
    -Rifles
    -Stop sticks

So what’s this misguided, manufactured feud really about? That’s easy to answer in one simple word: POWER. Despite receiving everything he has requested, it galls Chitwood to have to go before the County Council to ask for stuff. What he really wants is unchecked, unbridled POWER to do whatever he wants with absolutely no oversight. And that’s extremely dangerous! What this is all about is Chitwood attempting to gin up voter support for Amendment 10, you know, the proposed amendment that would give Chitwood constitutional powers that would supersede Volusia’s home-rule charter. Unless voters make the change, which in my view would be a monumental mistake, the current system of checks-and-balances will remain in place and is the system that Chitwood was elected to work within and abide by.

It’s a good system that compels elected officials like Chitwood to work with the County Council and County Administration to get things done for the best overall interests of the community. It’s a system that has worked well for many years, under many Sheriffs before Chitwood came along. It’s a system that has worked well for our taxpayers. And given the results over the last 23 months since Chitwood took office, it’s a system that has worked well for Chitwood and Sheriff’s Office employees. And therein lies the irony of the Volusia County Deputies Association working to defeat the incumbent Council. Because these are the very same deputies who’ve benefited from the decisions of this Council and its support of Chitwood’s requests.

But again, this isn’t about good government. And it’s not even about supporting law enforcement. It’s about POWER and control. Think about that the next time that Chitwood or the union argue that the current County Council needs to be replaced.

Apparently the bottom feeding trolls (Alvin and Henry) have completely hijacked this page. Neither of you have apparently followed what has been going on. Want in on a little secret? Dinneen and the support for him is the root.

Unregistered
    Apparently the bottom feeding trolls (Alvin and Henry) have completely hijacked this page. Neither of you have apparently followed what has been going on. Want in on a little secret? Dinneen and the support for him is the root.
    Anybody who reads the initial post knows very well it was not written by Alvin or Henry. Not to complain about the writing styles of Alvin or Henry but the post was well written and full of critical information.

I could see how one would think that Alvin or Henry might have written it...due to more facts being provided about Chitwood. But this was not an Alvin or Henry piece.

Unregistered
    Anybody who reads the initial post knows very well it was not written by Alvin or Henry. Not to complain about the writing styles of Alvin or Henry but the post was well written and full of critical information.

I could see how one would think that Alvin or Henry might have written it...due to more facts being provided about Chitwood. But this was not an Alvin or Henry piece.
    Not sure what is so well put together or so secret that makes one think otherwise but ok.

Unregistered
    I got invited to this anonymous forum by being named... Now I'm back again because you've named me again. You do not like the responsiveness? Leave me out the conversation, it's that easy dumb ass👍 Sorry to jump into your little private cop rant shop here 😎 ABC 2020. Now to the comment... Chitwood needs absolute power to manage. Doesn't matter that he recieves all and some, of what he requests. If I wasn't worth responding to, why do you all respond? Some intelligent and some not so much. The facts cannot be changed or hidden. Watch what happens with ammendment 10... Too much has been combined and many people see now. Not going to happen. Anytime you miss me, just name me and I'll come back. Hijacked 😆, that was good! I like to think I ***** up your boss, you know, get his panties in a wad.

Unregistered
    I got invited to this anonymous forum by being named... Now I'm back again because you've named me again. You do not like the responsiveness? Leave me out the conversation, it's that easy dumb ass👍 Sorry to jump into your little private cop rant shop here 😎 ABC 2020. Now to the comment... Chitwood needs absolute power to manage. Doesn't matter that he recieves all and some, of what he requests. If I wasn't worth responding to, why do you all respond? Some intelligent and some not so much. The facts cannot be changed or hidden. Watch what happens with ammendment 10... Too much has been combined and many people see now. Not going to happen. Anytime you miss me, just name me and I'll come back. Hijacked 😆, that was good! I like to think I ***** up your boss, you know, get his panties in a wad.
    There are a lot of us that appreciate the work that Alvin (and to a lesser extent Henry) are doing. Keep fighting the good fight Alvin...the average deputies appreciate you!!!!

Unregistered
    There are a lot of us that appreciate the work that Alvin (and to a lesser extent Henry) are doing. Keep fighting the good fight Alvin...the average deputies appreciate you!!!!
    Hoo rah! Let’s reply to our own post to try and garner support!

Unregistered
    Hoo rah! Let’s reply to our own post to try and garner support!
    Who the hell are you talking about? Same retard saying I comment to myself again? I have never commented to myself... You just cannot handle truth, and that is that many people support me. Maybe I didnt write the good threads on this site, but i most certainly was involved, and awaited their posting. I'm glad you are stuck thinking I am 1... That will be the deciding factor when the time is right. And once a candidate does announce, you will then realise, OH shit! And itll be too late. Watch and see. You think Henry Frederick and I are partners huh? Henry has much better connections than I do and we do not share info, other than socially. Keep thinking you know the players, because you dont! The only thing you know is that I speak publicly without fear. And I will continue to. Good luck baseless assumption anonymous idiot. 😎ABC 2020

Unregistered
    Who the hell are you talking about? Same retard saying I comment to myself again? I have never commented to myself... You just cannot handle truth, and that is that many people support me. Maybe I didnt write the good threads on this site, but i most certainly was involved, and awaited their posting. I'm glad you are stuck thinking I am 1... That will be the deciding factor when the time is right. And once a candidate does announce, you will then realise, OH shit! And itll be too late. Watch and see. You think Henry Frederick and I are partners huh? Henry has much better connections than I do and we do not share info, other than socially. Keep thinking you know the players, because you dont! The only thing you know is that I speak publicly without fear. And I will continue to. Good luck baseless assumption anonymous idiot. 😎ABC 2020
    You're an idiot.

Unregistered
    Thank you for making my point. This is about power and control and Chitwood not wanting to go through the County Manager and County Council to get what he wants, even though by doing so he has received absolutely everything he has asked for, including all of the money, tools and positions he needs to do his job. Instead, Chitwood went after the County Manager and individual Council members and viciously attacked anyone who refused to roll over and play dead. No wonder that the union fell in line. But guess what: Chitwood had better learn to work with the next County Council and County Manager, because Amendment 10 isn’t going to pass. In fact, the county's home-rule charter was adopted to establish a system of checks-and-balances as protection against a power-hungry jerk like Chitwood. Chitwood is the best argument for voting no on Amendment 10! Meanwhile, Chitwood’s unseemly political attacks and attempts to influence the outcome of the County Council races on the general election ballot will have the same effect as did his efforts to influence the primary races – nothing. Every candidate he endorsed lost. That's because Chitwood’s politics have nothing to do with good government, support for law enforcement or providing the Sheriff with the necessary tools to do his job. It’s about feeding Chitwood’s massive ego and thirst for power and control. I predict that most voters will see through his charade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast